Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2008, 09:36   #6556
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Poor b*stard Kent just can't get any stability on that PHRM stock...my heart bleeds as I watch the markets (!)

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2008, 09:40   #6557
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Down 13.1% in an hour and forty minutes..am I reading that right?
Old 14-05-2008, 09:43   #6558
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Slightly more now, down 237.5p since opening. Last trade was 1450p at 09:42.

BTW seems Charles Arthur is not the only member of the press to have heard the rumours about VM, it has been going around for a couple of weeks now. I have it from a good source that we are likely to see an official VM Phorm kicking in the next couple of weeks.

Alexander Hanff
Old 14-05-2008, 10:32   #6559
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

The share price drop is nice to see, unfortunately they are all small trades at the moment.

It would be good news indeed to see VM pull out of the deal with Phorm, let's hope the rumours are substantiated.

However, even then I feel that it's very important to keep pressure on the ISPs with the simple message "No behavioural advertising, remember what happened with Phorm."
Old 14-05-2008, 10:45   #6560
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

ahh damn i missed the boat was looking to short spreadbet this @ £5 per point right after the open. i would have netted over 500 notes.

ho hum.
Old 14-05-2008, 10:54   #6561
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

The V of Virgin, turned into a 2 finger salute to Phorm would make an ideal graphic if the rumours that Virgin have dumped them are true. Pity I have no artistic ability whatsoever
Old 14-05-2008, 10:58   #6562
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Pity I have no artistic ability whatsoever
Maybe you could apply for a job as a Phorm logo designer then bwahahaha

Alexander Hanff
Old 14-05-2008, 11:15   #6563
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

At least if this is announced then it is good news for those still stuck with VM, I hope thye have learnt theior lesson on this and don't go looking for other companies that are intrusive like phorm.
Old 14-05-2008, 12:18   #6564
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

found this http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-users-replace
they must opt out.
Old 14-05-2008, 12:37   #6565
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

They need the help that Alexander can give he is the only true champion on this front as privacy internatioinal would not have been in our fight helping us.

Ravenheart I am not that good at graphics still lerning but is this similar to what you wanted.
Old 14-05-2008, 12:39   #6566
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
Another Phorm reference:

http://www.eaca.be/news/newsletterar...sletter=77#981

About half way down "MEPs raise questions on consumer data protection and advertising"
Syed Kamall and Robert Evans are both my MEP's, good to see them working on this.
Old 14-05-2008, 12:43   #6567
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

I wish I had some spare cash at the moment I would register d-p-i.org and put up a site called "Deep Packet Infection". Actually nodpi.org might be better.

Alexander Hanff
Old 14-05-2008, 12:51   #6568
oblonsky
Inactive

oblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about themoblonsky has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
You know this is very interesting. The opt-out mechanism sounds like Phorm and a trading friend told me that last Friday's spike in share price was to do with a new deal "going live" soon, which I took to be the trials at BT. I wonder whether this might just be Phorm? Does anyone know the opt-out mechanism, if any, for NebuAd or any other data raper?
Old 14-05-2008, 12:55   #6569
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

I've been trying to find out why BT Beta forum posts don't seem to feature on Google unless quoted somewhere else.

I wonder if they are blocking the Googlebot? - perhaps the forum mods are trying to keep Webwise away from the forums?

Their robots.txt either doesn't exist or is well hidden.

A search for "beta.bt.com/bta/forums/thread" gives 6,780 hits with plenty of beta forum threads in the results
A "search within results" check for "webwise" reduces this to 17, with not a single result from the official Webwise threads (despite there being three lengthy threads on their board)

A "search within results" check for "phorm" on the same starting point gives
10 hits, of which two are BT Beta forum posts - and the hits relate to the official opening moderator posts on one Webwise thread and the FAQ page on Webwise.

Pretty hypocritical to snoop on our browsing at Layer 7 and then manage to keep Google away from the relevant public discussion threads?
Old 14-05-2008, 12:56   #6570
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblonsky View Post
You know this is very interesting. The opt-out mechanism sounds like Phorm and a trading friend told me that last Friday's spike in share price was to do with a new deal "going live" soon, which I took to be the trials at BT. I wonder whether this might just be Phorm? Does anyone know the opt-out mechanism, if any, for NebuAd or any other data raper?
It isn't Phorm it is NebuAd. And I wouldn't be holding my breath if I was them they are on the brink of being involved in some legal messes due to their ISP partners "forgetting" to send out the letters informing the customers of the new "service".

NebuAd and similar companies are coming under a lot of attention from US politicians and privacy groups at the moment, it won't be long before the US public are up in arms about it.

Oh and the spike last Friday was nothing to do with a new deal either. According to my sources in the City it was based on speculation that the BT Trials will be starting in next couple of weeks.

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread