Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 15:57   #121
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
BREAKING: Flybe has warned UK Government that it could collapse in to Administration in days, due to Coronavirus and slump in bookings.
Was there not crunch talks a few weeks ago with the government before Coronavirus struck Mick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51453196
Old 04-03-2020, 17:07   #122
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

There were, and there are proposed solutions on the table for Flybe. I think what complicates matters now is if Flybe collapses *because* of Coronavirus. Over the whole course of this crisis, which is likely to last 3-6 months, they may well not be the only ones. So if el gov steps in to rescue Flybe, even on terms previously discussed, does that mean they have to step in and rescue any other business that fails? It’s a tricky one.
Old 04-03-2020, 19:25   #123
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There were, and there are proposed solutions on the table for Flybe. I think what complicates matters now is if Flybe collapses *because* of Coronavirus. Over the whole course of this crisis, which is likely to last 3-6 months, they may well not be the only ones. So if el gov steps in to rescue Flybe, even on terms previously discussed, does that mean they have to step in and rescue any other business that fails? It’s a tricky one.
Virtually all businesses have an essential travel only policy currently in force.

Conferences and such like are being cancelled or delayed left, right and centre.

I was due to travel to business event in March and had to cancel, cancel the hotel and flights.

This will have an economic shockwave, and there’s no way in knowing when it will be over.
Old 04-03-2020, 20:05   #124
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
3.4% is concerning, it was estimated to be at 1-2%.

It being hard to pass on than flu and the prospect of passing it on whilst not having symptoms being less likely is good news though.
The 1% seems to be based on the Diamond Princess. The China figure is difficult to use because of the unknown number of infections in the early stages.

I suspect it could be as high as 5% when all is said and done. Currently many people compare the deaths to the total - ignoring that roughly 40% of those known to be infected presently have it and some won't make it.
Old 04-03-2020, 20:31   #125
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The 1% seems to be based on the Diamond Princess. The China figure is difficult to use because of the unknown number of infections in the early stages.

I suspect it could be as high as 5% when all is said and done. Currently many people compare the deaths to the total - ignoring that roughly 40% of those known to be infected presently have it and some won't make it.
Got to bear in mind also that the death rate % will vary per country, point being I would expect lower % in Western states with better health care and healthier people.
Old 04-03-2020, 20:50   #126
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Got to bear in mind also that the death rate % will vary per country, point being I would expect lower % in Western states with better health care and healthier people.
More old people with underlying heath issues that'd finish folk off before Coronavirus in the developed world
Old 04-03-2020, 21:07   #127
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

America worries me a bit. They didn't have a full screening and testing program as, to their credit, our Government did and they're having more infections from people who didn't travel and a high amount of deaths to the number infected. Suggests they don't have a handle of the proper numbers
Old 04-03-2020, 21:23   #128
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Italy's figures are not looking great either as the number of confirmed deaths of patients who tested positive for coronavirus in Italy has risen to 107 from 79.
Old 04-03-2020, 21:27   #129
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

If you haven't seen it this was Bill Gates warning we we're ready for an outbreak a few years ago: https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates...dy?language=en
Old 04-03-2020, 21:46   #130
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
America worries me a bit. They didn't have a full screening and testing program as, to their credit, our Government did and they're having more infections from people who didn't travel and a high amount of deaths to the number infected. Suggests they don't have a handle of the proper numbers
I have family and friends over there, and the big worry is that the cost of testing, especially if you have no insurance, or a large co-pay or high deductible, means that people aren't reporting sick, and often going to work (because, and especially if you are in the service sector, you don't get many "sick days" or sick pay).

I think that, in the US, it will be under-reported, and that people with it will still be going to work (and as I said, in the service sector, such as shop assistants, restaurant workers, taxi drivers, etc.), and will have contact with lots of people.

Which is fun, because we are flying to Miami on Friday...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 04-03-2020 at 21:49.
Old 04-03-2020, 21:47   #131
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
If you haven't seen it this was Bill Gates warning we we're ready for an outbreak a few years ago: https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates...dy?language=en
Sadly his message was not took on board..
Old 04-03-2020, 21:55   #132
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Anyone who gets this who is over 50 with certain health problems or disabilities is at risk of complications that could lead to death according to my doctor.

This could kill me, so i'm now taking it much more seriously and have suspended going into work and all non essential travel/contact.
Old 04-03-2020, 22:06   #133
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Anyone who gets this who is over 50 with certain health problems or disabilities is at risk of complications that could lead to death according to my doctor.

This could kill me, so i'm now taking it much more seriously and have suspended going into work and all non essential travel/contact.
What are your work saying about that as a matter of interest? Fortunately I can work remotely but that won't be possible for a lot of people.
Old 04-03-2020, 22:15   #134
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
What are your work saying about that as a matter of interest? Fortunately I can work remotely but that won't be possible for a lot of people.
I seem to remember Richard saying he had his own company but I could be wrong.
Old 04-03-2020, 22:16   #135
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Just been to see mum-in-law, who moved into a care home just after Christmas (91yo with mild dementia and Alzheimers).

We were given a hand-out which requested not to hug/kiss/cuddle, as the elderly are especially vulnerable to the complications that would arise - also, lots of hand-cleanser for when you enter/leave the home.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread