Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 16-10-2020, 20:44   #16
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

I upgraded to the Gig1 Fibre on Monday, area 20 Manchester. Very rarely get 900Mbps, usually always between 600/700Mbps. Upload is fairly solid most of the time though.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2020, 21:20   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I always recommend the Sam Knows Real Speed test if you have a Hub 4 in router mode. It does a two stage test between the Hub and Sam Knows and then your device and Sam Knows.

www.samknows.com/realspeed
Old 23-10-2020, 17:31   #18
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I always recommend the Sam Knows Real Speed test if you have a Hub 4 in router mode. It does a two stage test between the Hub and Sam Knows and then your device and Sam Knows.

www.samknows.com/realspeed
But that speed is kind of irrelevant if you can't use it due to port speed limitations.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 17:58   #19
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
But that speed is kind of irrelevant if you can't use it due to port speed limitations.
You aren't meant to.

The idea of the provided 1.14Gb is that the potential bandwidth is shared by multiple devices. It is possible to use all that bandwidth if you had enough devices simultaneously caning the connection.

If Hub 4 supported port aggregation my router could take advantage of two ports at the same time. Unfortunately, it doesn't.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 01:19   #20
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

just get a 2.5gb nic that i posted a link to......
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 18:26   #21
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

I'm hitting the limits of the ethernet port at all times. Pity we can't aggregate two together when it's provisioned for 1.1Gbps
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 18:50   #22
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Which works if you have CAT6 ethernet cables, or better, and if any intervening switches are capable of handling >1Gb. The latter are pretty expensive.
Old 26-10-2020, 11:28   #23
horrorwood
cf.member

horrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about themhorrorwood has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
The Hub 4.0 doesn't have 2.5Gbit ports though, so there'd be no advantage?
horrorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:40   #24
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorwood View Post
The Hub 4.0 doesn't have 2.5Gbit ports though, so there'd be no advantage?
That's what I said above.

I was responding to alanbjames talking about hardware necessary to take advantage of 2.5Gb router ports. As you say, this would only be relevant if port aggregation was available in the Hub 4 and one's own router.
Old 26-10-2020, 18:34   #25
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten View Post
I'm hitting the limits of the ethernet port at all times. Pity we can't aggregate two together when it's provisioned for 1.1Gbps
What browser are you running the speedtest with?

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 20:36   #26
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
What browser are you running the speedtest with?
Safari on Mac. Same results with the standalone Speedtest app.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
You aren't meant to.

The idea of the provided 1.14Gb is that the potential bandwidth is shared by multiple devices. It is possible to use all that bandwidth if you had enough devices simultaneously caning the connection.

If Hub 4 supported port aggregation my router could take advantage of two ports at the same time. Unfortunately, it doesn't.
Apparently it is possible with 2 lan cables from the Hub 4.0 feeding into a router running RouterOS or pfsense configured to aggregate the two inputs. Obviously requires a >1Gbe output port on the device.

https://forums.servethehome.com/inde...54/post-249734
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 07:27   #27
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I was chatting to someone in Customer Service yesterday at Virgin and they claimed that Swansea will see Gig1 during first quarter of 2021. I doubt this very much as there are larger cities with bigger uptakes that Virgin will invest in first.
Old 28-10-2020, 11:58   #28
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was chatting to someone in Customer Service yesterday at Virgin and they claimed that Swansea will see Gig1 during first quarter of 2021. I doubt this very much as there are larger cities with bigger uptakes that Virgin will invest in first.
I have been trying to find out when it may come to Bournemouth but so far havent been able to get any info. Assuming it will also come here later too but we will see
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 13:01   #29
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Bournemouth will probably see it way before Swansea.
Old 28-10-2020, 13:02   #30
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I doubt this very much as there are larger cities with bigger uptakes that Virgin will invest in first.
It doesn't work like that. Bigger cities need more work. Southampton and Reading got it first, and neither of them are large cities. It happens where the network is ready.

That said, I'm not aware of any announcement about Swansea yet. Nor Bournemouth.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote