Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 26-08-2020, 13:14   #3271
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

That’s a commission recommendation - not an official policy. You’re also, falsely, assuming that the SNP would govern an independent Scotland. The Scottish Conservative Party and Labour Party would equally have the opportunity to make different cases for a new tax system.

The recommendation wouldn’t stack up if you are all right about the financial sustainability of Scotland anyway, so they’d quickly need an innovative approach. You can’t simultaneously say they need solutions then dismiss their right to explore them.

And yes, I do believe that New Labour governed for London and the South East every bit as much as the Conservatives do.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2020, 13:16   #3272
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Scotland can't leave.

Nicola Sturgeon is currently running the UK and we'd be lost without her making the decisions....
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 13:25   #3273
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Scotland can't leave.

Nicola Sturgeon is currently running the UK and we'd be lost without her making the decisions....
I wouldn't let her run a bath.
Old 26-08-2020, 13:28   #3274
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
She wouldn't be able to run a bath, withing 2 minutes of her incessant yapping the taps would turn themselves off
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 13:41   #3275
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Boris would never be able to work out how the taps worked. Then he'd keep changing his mind about hot or cold.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:00   #3276
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That’s a commission recommendation - not an official policy. You’re also, falsely, assuming that the SNP would govern an independent Scotland. The Scottish Conservative Party and Labour Party would equally have the opportunity to make different cases for a new tax system.

The recommendation wouldn’t stack up if you are all right about the financial sustainability of Scotland anyway, so they’d quickly need an innovative approach. You can’t simultaneously say they need solutions then dismiss their right to explore them.

And yes, I do believe that New Labour governed for London and the South East every bit as much as the Conservatives do.
So the Scots would vote for independence AND the Conservatives.
Where on earth have I said they wouldn't have a right to choose?
Scotland has a higher GDP per person, than most of England. Only marginally lower than the East of England.
The whole of London, the South East, and East of England do not solely comprise of the "City".
The combined UK-wide turnovers of Google and Amazon don't even come close to covering the gap. That is an indication of the size of the revenue gap. You only tax a portion of any GDP, so the extra GDP required is several times that. Eg if the deficit is 7% of GDP, then you need an increase in GDP well into double figures.
Still no sign of any evidence that the SNP have a policy where corporation tax might be reduced below that of the UK.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:22   #3277
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Sir Kier would be concerned about treating the hot and cold taps equally and would demand one of those dual taps in the name of diversity.

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Scotland has a higher GDP per person, than most of England. Only marginally lower than the East of England.
The whole of London, the South East, and East of England do not solely comprise of the "City".
The combined UK-wide turnovers of Google and Amazon don't even come close to covering the gap. That is an indication of the size of the revenue gap. You only tax a portion of any GDP, so the extra GDP required is several times that. Eg if the deficit is 7% of GDP, then you need an increase in GDP well into double figures.
Still no sign of any evidence that the SNP have a policy where corporation tax might be reduced below that of the UK.
He's not listening, mate, he just wants to argue. I'm done with this, personally.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:25   #3278
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If the Conservatives governed for London, we would still be in the EU.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:32   #3279
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
If the Conservatives governed for London, we would still be in the EU.
. . . and everywhere outside the confines of the M25 would be a desolate wasteland
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:49   #3280
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Latest GERS report out now.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/go...-gers-2019-20/

It finds Scotland’s notional deficit, including a geographic share of North Sea oil and gas revenues, has risen by 1.2 points to 8.6%.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 14:55   #3281
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I see GERS also decided that Scotland would pay £3.4bn in military spending.

Need to fabricate the figures somehow I guess.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Once again you’re trying to attribute the impact on the entire economy to one or two companies. Not entirely sure that’s how it’d work. Nobody has said what the SNP policy for an independent Scotland would be because it’s not relevant to my argument.

Right wing people have warned against public spending because of capital flight through tax rises. The reverse of this is encouraging investment by lowering tax - something now suddenly doesn’t work for Scotland. Just be open about the fact you are skewing the facts to suit your ideology/agenda - just as Old Boy does.

I get that England fears an independent Scotland. I would too if I were English, however I’m not so can only look at things objectively from where I sit here in Scotland.
Old 26-08-2020, 15:06   #3282
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I'm English and I certainly don't fear an independent Scotland. I think they would be foolish to break from the Union but it is not my decision to make.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 15:48   #3283
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I'm English and I certainly don't fear an independent Scotland. I think they would be foolish to break from the Union but it is not my decision to make.
That's generally the attitude I'd expect if all that is claimed were true. England will be better off anyway (allegedly). I'd simply bid Scotland farewell and with them good luck if that were true.

However there's this underlying thing that seems to get the juices going among some British nationalists that it's something for them to massively fear. I'm keen to scratch the surface of it because if it were straightforward economics, and the English national interest, it'd be see you later.
Old 26-08-2020, 15:56   #3284
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Latest GERS report out now.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/go...-gers-2019-20/

It finds Scotland’s notional deficit, including a geographic share of North Sea oil and gas revenues, has risen by 1.2 points to 8.6%.
That’ still four fifths of five eighths of naff all.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 16:22   #3285
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

SNP humiliation as Sturgeon ABANDONS major independence project - report obliterates hopes

THE SNP has ditched plans to publish an "annual economic case for independence", with pro-union campaigners claiming the UK is "more valuable than ever" to Scotland.

The Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland (GERS) publication highlights how much the country raises in taxes compared to how much it spends on public services.

The report showed report showed Scotland’s national deficit was 8.6 percent of GDP in 2019/20, as public spending north of the border outstripped tax revenues by £15.1billion.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...economy-latest