Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What happened?!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What happened?!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:16   #1
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light
What happened?!

Yesterday, our router went somewhat slightly mental....
I had major problems keeping 2 computers connected for more than a few minutes at a time - most frustrating.....!
I rebooted absolutely everything... computers, modem and router (more times than is considered healthy...)
Then I began to notice something. Normally, when it's the modem having a hissy fit, there's one notice pops up about being disconnected... but with the router - it came up twice each time (I spent long enough on it to notice this coming up)
After some considerable swearing and having the modem only on one computer, we then set about getting the router sorted out. We had to take it back to factory settings and then reset everything back to how it was and it's like nothing ever happened...!
I even had the router set up away from the modem... and today? everything is running sweetly....?!

Why would a linksys router suddenly decide to go absolutely stroppy and require us to go through everything we went through to get it working properly again?
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2007, 11:40   #2
Data

Re: What happened?!

Possibly interference caused problems? Maybe a local transmitter. CB radio etc.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:24   #3
Eric55
Inactive

Eric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enough

Funny you should say that I had to reset my Linksys this morning. It would not connect to the internet.
Eric55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50   #4
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
Possibly interference caused problems? Maybe a local transmitter. CB radio etc.
I should've said, it's not a wireless linksys

(model number BEFSR41 ver 4)
Old 04-07-2007, 23:45   #5
Data

Close transmitters can still cause disruption. AM radios can energise a stand alone loudspeaker . Perfect for disrupting your noisy neighbours party!

Otherwise, maybe it was a mains thing.
Old 04-07-2007, 23:59   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Look here!It's a well known fact that so called inanimate gadgets have a life of their own..and some of them are positive drama queens while others are dependable and well behaved UNLESS they are feeling unappreciated..Tell it that you love it,buy it some flowers and just make sure it doesn't catch you eyeing up a new model.
Old 06-07-2007, 13:01   #7
squirrel1970
Inactive

You're not wrong that our beloved router (see, I am being nice to it, even tho I did see a rather attractive Dlink router the other day) is a drama queen...
Normally, there are no problems in listening to an internet radio stream (totally independant stuff.. and good friends of ours) but just this week, whilst trying to stream or relay - the router goes into an Oscar winning hissy fit... despite all our best efforts to try and stay connected, it just bloomin' well doesn't want to know!
So as you can well imagine, come Sunday - I'm really going to have to keep my wits about me.
We've swapped cables around and over and back again till we've been blue in the face...
It's still not playing ball at all!
I was wondering if there was a setting somewhere that we could possibly have overlooked........
if not... well.. I'm not gonna take back the PS2 we got instead of a new router the other day............ lol!
(see, we really were being nice to the router by not replacing it! hehe!)

And if we were to get a new router.. please select from the lesser of the following evils which is the best place to purchase a said new router:

PCWorld
Currys
Maplin
Tesco
Woolworths(?!)
Old 06-07-2007, 13:03   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Grab it from PC World, but know what you need BEFORE you go!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 16:40   #9
squirrel1970
Inactive

It's still going mental despite several resets now.
It's well getting beyond a joke. We're practically tearing whats left of our hair out. Can *ANYBODY* help? Suggestions are welcome....

We've done practically everything bar take the bloody thing apart.... (screwdriver on standby however...)
Old 06-07-2007, 19:48   #10
Exorcist74
Inactive

Services: 60Mb cable and basic package
Exorcist74 will become famous soon enoughExorcist74 will become famous soon enoughExorcist74 will become famous soon enough

IT might be your internet service provider having a funny five minuets (as if that could happen), or the router is on the blink?????... it might be time to bin it, get one from you friendly computer shop first (CP DLROW), try it out if it still play up Take it back as faulty goods , then check your lan port on your computer......
Exorcist74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:01   #11
squirrel1970
Inactive

Strangely enough... the modem is fine.. (good solid use since 2002 - and only one problem - that was at the very beginning.. and it was fixed (kept losing connection) and it's been absolutely fine ever since - not bad for an ambit 120 lol)

There was an internet outage this morning that lasted until about lunchtime(ish) but it was fine all day after that - and all week up to today... I definitely know it's NOT the modem.....!

I have a sneaky suspicion it *might* be the power supply for the router thats the problem....

So as you can imagine, I'm in a bit of a fix...

I think we've had the thing for a little over 12 months... [rant] BLOODY TYPICAL THAT THINGS GO T*TS UP THE DAY THE WARRANTY EXPIRES!!! *fume* *hiss* *spit* [/rant]
Old 07-07-2007, 21:21   #12
squirrel1970
Inactive

Ok, I did a firmware upgrade - as I noticed from the routers settings it was using an old firmware version... so far, so good... fingers crossed and all that..

I'll give it an hour before I start patting myself on the back and thanking you guys for the help..... NOT!
Old 07-07-2007, 21:29   #13
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_abi View Post
I think we've had the thing for a little over 12 months... [rant] BLOODY TYPICAL THAT THINGS GO T*TS UP THE DAY THE WARRANTY EXPIRES!!! *fume* *hiss* *spit* [/rant]
take it back to the shop with your receipt and tell them you are returning it to be repaired as per the sale of goods act as it has become faulty prior to what you would consider the end of it's lifespan.

http://www.consumerline.org/search/?...and+Warranties
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 23:33   #14
squirrel1970
Inactive

Well... I'm pleased to report that a firmware upgrade did the trick...

It only took me 6 days to realise..
I had my epiphany while I was getting a mug of coffee... as soon as I started to pour the milk in, I saw the light... it said 'check the routers firmware'
As it was the last thing on my mind, I made it a priority to do the decent thing - and lo.. it was done....

When in doubt - firmware upgrade on the router!

My OH was oblivious.. but sanctioned my desicion... I think he's a bit peed off that he never thought of it first....
meh...
men....
lol!
Old 09-07-2007, 20:29   #15
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

well done
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote