Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why am I limited to 200mb speed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Why am I limited to 200mb speed?

Old 21-05-2020, 20:58   #16
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Why am I limited to 200mb speed?

I have had no trouble getting through to Customer Service - 2 minute wait. (Try first thing in the morning) I got upgraded to M1000 two weeks ago even though the VM site didn't say it was available in my street. If you really want an upgrade you should have no trouble. If you haven't tried you won't know how easy it is. If you don't want it, why the fuss?

Last edited by roughbeast; 21-05-2020 at 21:04.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2020, 21:08   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I have had no trouble getting through to Customer Service - 2 minute wait.
it is infuriating speaking to tech support and trying to get them to accept the fact there is a fault. I was pleasantly surprised however the last time I rang up for an upgrade. When I moved from 200mbit to 350mbits I just wanted the speed increase and was expecting to (and happy to) pay more for it. As I was so far out of contract I ended up getting it for free plus receiving a discount.

Quote:
If you don't want it, why the fuss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a01020304 View Post
I do not want higher but just curious
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 21:12   #18
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
it is infuriating speaking to tech support and trying to get them to accept the fact there is a fault. I was pleasantly surprised however the last time I rang up for an upgrade. When I moved from 200mbit to 350mbits I just wanted the speed increase and was expecting to (and happy to) pay more for it. As I was so far out of contract I ended up getting it for free plus receiving a discount.

That has been my experience generally,
: poor support with faults, but plain sailing with upgrades, especially when talking to on-shore call centres.
Old 21-05-2020, 21:23   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
especially when talking to on-shore call centres.
never had the privilege
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 21:35   #20
a01020304
cf.member

Services: 200mb Broadband
a01020304 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
never had the privilege
agree, the lack of english skills is so poor i struggle to understand a word they say plus their geographical knowlege is very poor, they think manchester is in london
no matter when you call your automatically redirected to India or Malaysia. it is impossible to speak to a uk based person unless its a billing issue only, anything other than that they put you on hold and next thing your speaking to an asian country

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Quote:
. If you don't want it, why the fuss?
your missing the point completely. just because i do not want an upgrade does not mean i cannot look. Its the fact they state i am on highest tier available, yet new customers can get all possible speeds. its total discrimination to offer new customers all speeds but limit existing customers to lower ones.
My next door neighbour, (2 foot through my wall) can get 100, 200, 350, and 1000 offered yet I cannot get offered 350 or 1000.
a01020304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 22:32   #21
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by a01020304 View Post
-

your missing the point completely. just because i do not want an upgrade does not mean i cannot look. Its the fact they state i am on highest tier available, yet new customers can get all possible speeds. its total discrimination to offer new customers all speeds but limit existing customers to lower ones.
My next door neighbour, (2 foot through my wall) can get 100, 200, 350, and 1000 offered yet I cannot get offered 350 or 1000.
We all know that VM's web pages are often inaccurate and do not show you what you what you can get in your street or premises. Until you make a call, you cannot know that you are being discriminated against. To discover what you can get, you make a call. Indulge me. Give it a try. You can talk about the packages available and how it might be tailored for you. At the end of the conversation, you can thank them and say that you have decided it is not for you.
Old 22-05-2020, 00:29   #22
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Nonsense post removed. Carry on.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 12:16   #23
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Again no idea what's gone on there though

Hub 4s are supposed to be for Gigabit customers only, apart from where Virgin Media proactively offer one out to a customer for specific reasons.

There isn't any situation where a whole building should get them for no obvious reason.
Given it's a block of flats, is it possible this building is wired for RFoG? Could that have anything to do with it?

Also I don't think the engineer will get the gigabit line for free, not unless Virgin has changed their staff packages. There used to be a nominal fee from what I remember.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 12:59   #24
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Given it's a block of flats, is it possible this building is wired for RFoG? Could that have anything to do with it?
You still usually get the appropriate Hub 3 or Hub 4 for your tier no matter the type of install.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Also I don't think the engineer will get the gigabit line for free, not unless Virgin has changed their staff packages. There used to be a nominal fee from what I remember.
Even if the engineer themselves got Gigabit, still doesn't really explain the mass change for a building to a Hub 4.

Obviously not saying it couldn't happen, just can't think of why it would.
Old 22-05-2020, 13:03   #25
a01020304
cf.member

Services: 200mb Broadband
a01020304 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You still usually get the appropriate Hub 3 or Hub 4 for your tier no matter the type of install.

Even if the engineer themselves got Gigabit, still doesn't really explain the mass change for a building to a Hub 4.

Obviously not saying it couldn't happen, just can't think of why it would.
i do not know what cable is installed, we have 4 cabinates in the stairwells each at 4 floor intervals. in january all cabinates were replaced and in feb new cable was installed to them. the cabinates used to be able to be opened by anyone so could see inside but now they have a sophisticated lock on them so cannot open it and tell you what is inside.
all i know is that building cable and cabinates were upgraded and thats when all issued hub 4's
a01020304 is offline   Reply With Quote