Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

Old 13-08-2023, 13:46   #16
Lacking
cf.member

Lacking is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

I feel like I've learnt more from this thread than I have in a week of researching by myself. Thank you so much!
Lacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2023, 21:02   #17
Lacking
cf.member

Regarding cellmapper, what am I looking for to see which providers might have the best coverage? Is it just the areas covered by the cells?

For example, it looks like our property falls under the cells of 2 different Three towers but none of the other providers on the map.
Old 13-08-2023, 21:22   #18
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Are you selecting 3 UK as a provider? If so, you need to change that to Vodafone, EE and O2 to see what those operators have in your area. Under network pick “4G LTE”.

At this point it’s probably worth knowing what providers are the closest masts in your area and what bands they are using.

You could also try putting the router next to a window in the direction of the masts you do know about with Three.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 22:43   #19
Lacking
cf.member

Yes I've gone through each provider on cellmapper. They all have towers nearby but the cells on the map don't fall over us, except for Three. Looking at these towers, I think our router is in the best window already for Three.
Old 13-08-2023, 23:31   #20
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Smarty on Three has unlimited for £16 a month for a year
Old 13-08-2023, 23:33   #21
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking View Post
Yes I've gone through each provider on cellmapper. They all have towers nearby but the cells on the map don't fall over us, except for Three. Looking at these towers, I think our router is in the best window already for Three.
Might be worth checking that against the O2, Vodafone and EE coverage checkers to see if they claim to offer 4G indoor coverage at your postcode.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 08:16   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking View Post
If Three really is the best local network, there are things you can do to improve reception. You can add an external antenna to your router if it supports one (is there a pair of small copper terminals on the back?). This can make a dramatic difference to your speeds if you buy the right antenna and place it carefully.

Before that however, if you can. I’d try your voda SIM in it just to see what happens. And after that you should spend a couple of days doing regular speed tests to see if your speed is constrained by time of day due to local congestion. This will help give you a baseline of performance to improve against.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 00:09   #23
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I've been looking into this and the equipment selection was quite key for me, 5G is massively overpriced and realistically 4G can deliver the speeds at a fraction of the cost. I already have a pfsense setup at home so I bought a second hand Microtik dish off a mate and used it as failover when I was having lots of VM issues, mounted inside but could go outside it works more than good enough for me.

I already had an EE sim, O2 was poor so bought a Smarty unlimted sim for peanuts and have been using that.

Equipment and operator and even the building can make the difference, someone at work bought a 5G Zyxel thing which was used as a modem with an O2 sim in, mast less than 100m away in a pre fab building, luckily if we got 80mb, yet outside got far more. Been running that temporarly for 6 weeks only issue we had with 40 users on was the upload was so poor the network was shocking and dropped the VPN (double NAT probably didn't help in some instances).

For Joe Public at home its more than enough if you have the right provider, I did look at Pepwave routers which are not cheap but you can put miltiple sims in, often used in vehicles for travelling but have other features, in my setup at home I use VM and a SIM.

I will be doing some more testing on this in a few weeks as I am just about to redeploy the 5G at work to another site whilist the main connection is been installed then it will be back for site failures so will have time to play and tweak a bit more.

Have a look at YouTube on those who live in campers and their setups, some even use Peplink with SIM's in, connect to site WiFi through the router when on sites and some even add Starlink into the equation.
Old 18-08-2023, 08:30   #24
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

4G speeds are definitely more than adequate especially if your modem can bond multiple channels. In theory my Huawei can achieve better than gigabit downloads. However, the real constraint with 4G isn’t speed, its capacity. For starters the service provider gets to decide whether each cell will permit channel bonding; most in urban areas do but by no means all. Then you will find in busy areas speed will drop at certain times of day. 4G can become totally unusable when the local cell is exceptionally busy, even if you can get 150/50 off it at midnight on a Tuesday.

Various things could be impacting your speeds from that cell even though you can see it. There could be cables in the walls causing interference or as its a prefab there could be a lot of metal in the frame creating a faraday cage effect. It’s also possible that the cell is highly directional, intended for fill-in service to a specific blackspot, and you’re on the fringe of the area it’s aimed at. An external aerial makes all the difference in marginal situations.
Old 18-08-2023, 10:33   #25
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

And my 4G speeds at home are a super fast 2.22Mbps Down and 0.44Mbps Up.
Old 18-08-2023, 11:08   #26
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
And my 4G speeds at home are a super fast 2.22Mbps Down and 0.44Mbps Up.
Are you talking about your phone or a 4G modem?
Old 18-08-2023, 13:36   #27
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Are you talking about your phone or a 4G modem?
Phone, is there a difference in signal strength?
Old 18-08-2023, 14:01   #28
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Phone, is there a difference in signal strength?
Quite markedly, yes. A modem even on just its own internal aerial will get better reception than a phone and if you put an external antenna on it it can be much, much quicker.

The maximum speed of a single 4G data channel is 150mbps download, 50mbps upload. 2.2 down, 0.4 up really isn’t very quick at all.
Old 18-08-2023, 14:50   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Smarty on Three has unlimited for £16 a month for a year
I considered this before I went into care as it was the cheapest option (before I clarified that the care home had WiFi).

I don't know if any of the others had this clause, but it did say that it must not be used in place of a fixed broadband connection and that action would be taken if this was found to be the case.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 17:25   #30
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I considered this before I went into care as it was the cheapest option (before I clarified that the care home had WiFi).

I don't know if any of the others had this clause, but it did say that it must not be used in place of a fixed broadband connection and that action would be taken if this was found to be the case.
It’s illegal for them to stipulate that. EU net neutrality laws which have been retained in UK law state that mobile providers are not allowed to tell you what you can and cannot put your SIM in once you have it. You can take out a phone contract and legally put it in a 4G modem. If Smarty does take ‘action’ then you have a valid compliant to put to Ofcom.