Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-04-2008, 23:34   #4351
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Seeing the Cap'ns link to his footage of the London meeting has reminded me. Has there been any news on the pro version, promised by 80/20, being released?

vicz
This delay has got me wondering how long it can take to chop the video into manageable chunks and post it online...

Thanks to Mark for reminding me - I got an e-mail yesterday saying the bandwidth used has hit 80% (it's now 83% or 41.3Gb: the total files size is 135 Mb so that's a lot of downloads - 796 in total) so please link to the tobymeres.net site (340 visits so far) which has better bandwidth.

Wishing you success for tomorrow, Alexander.
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2008, 23:53   #4352
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Good luck tomorrow in London we are all here supporting you in this.
Old 22-04-2008, 00:59   #4353
gaz1
Inactive

gaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck tommorow Alexander

and have a safe journey
Old 22-04-2008, 01:25   #4354
unicus
Inactive

unicus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Well, I got a reply from Patricia Hewitt today.
but unfortunately when she "Checked the position with BT" they just gave her the standard lines to trip out to me:
What his her opinion? We know what BT have to say and she should not just take their word for it over someone else's (I presume you gave her the facts).

On the matter of MP's replying, mine replied quite quickly (see posts #2550 & #2554 )and for the record he's Labour.
Old 22-04-2008, 05:51   #4355
bigsanta11
Inactive

bigsanta11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
Omg
related to this invation of privacy and data export.....under Jacqui Smith OC ,no wonder she ignored the Phorm questions.

perhaps a seperate set of questions to the lords on this matter.....

its hard enough getting access yourself, if you were to send a DPA request for any footage of you they might have, and the US gets all this for free .....
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-allows-spy-uk
"
Secret pact allows the US to spy on UK motorists

Big Buddy is watching y'all

By Egan Orion: Monday, 21 April 2008, 4:16 PM

THE UK Home Secretary secretively signed a "special certificate" last year that gives foreign security agencies real-time access to traffic camera images and related data monitoring British motorists on highways throughout the UK.

Opposition politicians and civil liberties advocates yesterday accused Gordon Brown's government of attempting to hide from Parliament its covert plans to facilitate international surveillance of UK citizens in violation of privacy laws.

Under the authorisation signed last July 4 by Jacqui Smith, video feeds and still images captured from roadside TV cameras, along with personal data derived from them, can be transmitted out of the UK to countries such as the US, that are outside the European Economic Area
"
If you watch the third bourne supremacy film,they have a scene where a US security firm are using the cameras in london ,just like what's in that article .

Unbelievable to think that the film was showing something which is now possible.

---------- Post added at 05:51 ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
BBC Enterprises are allowed to show adverts to non-licence payers as a means of bolstering funding - for this purpose they assume that all UK-resident websurfers are licencepayers and all non-UK surfers are not.
Sadly, I think the latest incarnation of the BBC Charter allows advertising to be pushed at all non-licence payers (they justified it as "helping to keep UK licence payers fees down") and given that they've allowed this mission-creep, they're also likely to be okay with profiling of UK users for the purposes of targeted advertising on sites visited other than www.bbc.co.uk

My personal opinion: Roll-on all-digital TV, when they can do-away with the licence fee and charge those people who actually watch BBC (I'm one) by means of direct subscription, hence continuing the brilliant tradition of advertisment-free, high-quality television in this country.

Come to think of it - I think this is Kent Ertugrul's biggest miscalculation in the whole sorry Phorm affair: He assumed that UK citizens are, in consumer terms, the same as US citizens. What he failed to realise is that, unlike our US cousins, we have a great tradition of high-quality, advertisment-free media content which is funded effectively by subscription (OK - licence fee, but hopefully subscription in the future), This contradicts his business' premise that content services cannot survive without advertising (and therefore Phorm is a necessary evil), so he choses to ignore this inconvenient example of how good the internet could be.

High quality tv, that made me chuckle
Old 22-04-2008, 07:24   #4356
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
This delay has got me wondering how long it can take to chop the video into manageable chunks and post it online...

Thanks to Mark for reminding me - I got an e-mail yesterday saying the bandwidth used has hit 80% (it's now 83% or 41.3Gb: the total files size is 135 Mb so that's a lot of downloads - 796 in total) so please link to the tobymeres.net site (340 visits so far) which has better bandwidth.

Wishing you success for tomorrow, Alexander.

I emailed 80/20 24 hours after the meeting, via their Contact Us link, to ask about the promised video. No reply I'm afraid.
Old 22-04-2008, 07:40   #4357
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Good luck for the click interview Alexander. Go get 'em.
Old 22-04-2008, 07:50   #4358
Paddy1
cf.addict

Paddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
1. Contrary to what we all believe, no personal data involved in the secret trial interceptions, no customers identified, no data kept and no law broken (we disagree I think!)Hank
This ones easy to get around...

BT drone: "No personal information was processed..."

Questioner: "So, you didn't remove personal information?"

BT drone: "Yes, we did"

Questioner: "Then you processed it"

They can't have it both ways
Old 22-04-2008, 08:50   #4359
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

BBC : Security firms scrutinise Phorm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7359024.stm

"Phorm have hinted that most ISP's will choose an opt-out solution based on a cookie," he said. "We have expressed our concern that's not informed consent and most likely will meet our detection criteria."

hehe, they have the F-Secure on Phorm blog linked as well.
Old 22-04-2008, 08:58   #4360
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Yes seems like they have no intentions of changing the method of delivery which will mean many will not even know it is on their system plus many minors could be tricked onto the system without consent.
Old 22-04-2008, 09:13   #4361
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7359024.stm

A story on security firm responses to Phorm. Interesting in the light of my question to BT

"What will happen to browsing (and the Phorm business model) when browsers like Firefox (and security software vendors) start to look at layer 7 redirection and treat it as suspicious activity? and their reply - "It is not clear to me that they will do that."

Well maybe it is clearer now.

The BBC pages on this are looking quite organised, with very good links, a couple of video links to their TV reports including interview with Emma Sanderson about the secret illegal trials from BT, and provides a good first stopping pointfor someone wanting to learn about Phorm/Webwise from scratch. If this is the basic template design of the pages for their current Phorm stories, it will be helpful.

The article ends with some Kent spin.
Old 22-04-2008, 09:13   #4362
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Posted to the iii website with the bbc link. I won't be around much today. Got a job interview to prepare for. Keep up the good fight!
Old 22-04-2008, 10:09   #4363
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
My statement is correct. BT do say that. Whether that position represents the legal realities is another matter. I never said BT were planning a legal system!

But they have said publicly that websites can ask to be Phorm blocklisted - and I'm keen that several million website owners contact them and ask.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were wrong.. I actually meant BT is..
Old 22-04-2008, 10:12   #4364
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were wrong.. I actually meant BT is..
No problem - I can definitely agree with that.
Old 22-04-2008, 10:31   #4365
TehTech
Permanently Banned

TehTech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
BBC : Security firms scrutinise Phorm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7359024.stm
Quote:
So far three net firms, BT, Virgin and Carphone Warehouse, have signed up for Phorm. Carphone Warehouse has said its customers will have to opt in to the system the other two will automatically enrol anyone that does not explicitly ask to be excluded.
This is ILLEGAL!!!

When virgin finally do make this PhormeWare go public, Im out and taking ALL 3 of my services and they can go jump!

That is a total of £1,176 a year Virgin will be losing out on, and this is just from me!!
Closed Thread