Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 19:41   #2866
Alex @ Phorm
Inactive

Alex @ Phorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

My apologies to bigbadcol, jca11 and ceedee - you're right I've got some things to learn about netiquette

bigbadcol: I work for Phorm not a PR agency. I'm not sure what your point is about Virgin Media. We do have agreements with it, BT and TalkTalk - we reiterated that in a financial statement today. Plus Virgin approved the press release we issued on 14 February

jca11: I have passed your question to our legal guy and will chase for an answer for you.

ceedee: Probably the person most in need of an apology since it seems you sent in your question a while back. I'll pick that one up first since it has been outstanding the longest

And yes, I know Alexander has a list of questions as long as your arm, which I'm trying to get answered. Lawyers can be slow in the speed of their responses so please bear that in mind - it just seems to the way they work

Alex @ Phorm
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2008, 19:44   #2867
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Ursine

Another Guardian article :-

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo..._and_more.html
Old 10-04-2008, 19:53   #2868
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex @ Phorm View Post
ceedee: Probably the person most in need of an apology since it seems you sent in your question a while back. I'll pick that one up first since it has been outstanding the longest
No problem, Alex.
After all, I *am* working to put you out of work...
Old 10-04-2008, 20:02   #2869
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
All it would take is a little bit of regex.

Alexander Hanff
That's why the whole thing is scary... We've also all read their patent...

Another thought... To be of any real value in targeting adds one would need some demographic information... I wonder how that could be obtained... Nuff said...
Old 10-04-2008, 20:05   #2870
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt88man View Post
That's why the whole thing is scary... We've also all read their patent...

Another thought... To be of any real value in targeting adds one would need some demographic information... I wonder how that could be obtained... Nuff said...
Because your UBR name has nothing to do with your geographic location.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Ursine

Another Guardian article :-

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo..._and_more.html
Quote:
Phorm can't seem to get the hang of staying out of the news (possibly because it's now hired a small army of PR people). So here's your roundup on what's been going on.
Isn't that the point of PR people to get you in the news without the need to pay for advertising.
Old 10-04-2008, 20:05   #2871
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

i didnt see this one posted from yesturday so here ya go
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...-your-surfing/

as a service for the US readers looking in, i thought id just mention NebuAd alongside Phorm as we in the UK might be seeing them soon anyway.

http://news.google.com/news?oe=utf-8...hl=en&q=NebuAd

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology

http://www.marcporcelli.com/2008/04/...nspection-dpi/

i read a comment somewere the other day that NebuAd are another re-named spyware companys but cant find the reference now.

and strange as it seems NebuAd dont have a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...?search=NebuAd that needs correcting perhaps.
Old 10-04-2008, 20:05   #2872
Alex @ Phorm
Inactive

Alex @ Phorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
No problem, Alex.
After all, I *am* working to put you out of work...

I hope not - I'm enjoying all the work you guys and gals are generating for me!
Old 10-04-2008, 20:08   #2873
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Shameless Digg request:

http://digg.com/tech_news/Is_Phorm_a...search_engines

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 20:20   #2874
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

you have to join digg to do it but thats OK...
Old 10-04-2008, 20:36   #2875
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
you have to join digg to do it but thats OK...
Well yes but I expect many of us are already registered there

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

Search Engine search terms are probably one of the most valuable assets of a clickstream with regards to building profiles. So if this data suddenly became unavailable due to SSL it should have a significant impact on the efficiency and value of the Phorm "product".

By showing that this is a real risk to search engines it allows the search engines to look at managing this risk through methods like SSL.

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 20:48   #2876
popper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex @ Phorm View Post
My apologies to bigbadcol, jca11 and ceedee - you're right I've got some things to learn about netiquette

bigbadcol: I work for Phorm not a PR agency. I'm not sure what your point is about Virgin Media. We do have agreements with it, BT and TalkTalk - we reiterated that in a financial statement today. Plus Virgin approved the press release we issued on 14 February

jca11: I have passed your question to our legal guy and will chase for an answer for you.

And yes, I know Alexander has a list of questions as long as your arm, which I'm trying to get answered. Lawyers can be slow in the speed of their responses so please bear that in mind - it just seems to the way they work

Alex @ Phorm
now you have confirmed your a real Phorm Employee,are we to assume your a real tech? or what are your dutys there?, it would be a good thing if you gave a direct answer to this #2807 question.

and a new one for you, iv asked this before elsewere, but who exactly is your Phorm legal guy?.

the UK guys name address and contact Number and business email address please, as well as the US legal guys in your Phorm employ or retainer etc.

and who was that QC you employed for the legal opinion, name, business address etc...
Old 10-04-2008, 21:06   #2877
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Shameless Digg request:

http://digg.com/tech_news/Is_Phorm_a...search_engines

Alexander Hanff
Posted on reddit too
Old 10-04-2008, 21:12   #2878
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
Posted on reddit too
Thanks got a link? Anyone got or know anyone with posting rights at slashdot?

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 21:16   #2879
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks got a link? Anyone got or know anyone with posting rights at slashdot?

Alexander Hanff
http://reddit.com/r/technology/
Old 10-04-2008, 21:25   #2880
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Updated Wikipedia

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread