Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 14:19   #2836
fidbod
Inactive

fidbod is on a distinguished roadfidbod is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I wouldn't read too much into the lack of share price movement.

There are so few shares in issue for Phorm that it is unlikely to be traded that often.

Also at the moment shareholders have two options - sell their shares and crystallise their loss or hold on and hope for a recovery.

Inaction is always easier than action which is why I think there are no trades in the security.
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2008, 14:20   #2837
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Personally, I think they should be required by law to put the following at the top of the page:

"BT/VM/TT have entered into an agreement with Phorm Inc., to monitor your web browsing in order to build a profile and serve you with targeted advertising; and to warn you when you are trying to access a web site which is known to be a security risk.

We will monitor your web activities using Deep Packet Inspection which allows us to intercept and read all the information in your traffic data. As a result we are required to obtain your consent to do this under the following laws and statutes of the United Kingdom (and Europe):

European Convention on Human Rights
Council of Europe's Convention on Cybercrime
Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003
Human Rights Act 1998
Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000
Computer Misuse Act 1990
Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1998
Fraud Act 2006
Data Protection Act 1998
Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977

We recommend you read a technical analysis of this service written by Dr Richard Clayton from Cambridge University. A copy of the report can be found here.

We also recommend you read all of the Laws and Statutes listed above before making an informed decision on whether or not to subscribe to this service."

See now -that- would be Informed Consent if the user opted in after such a notice. Of course the downside is, how can the user read the Acts and Technical report without either opting in or opting out of Phorm first, given the current page is the only web site they can access.

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 14:32   #2838
Alex @ Phorm
Inactive

Alex @ Phorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alexander

Thanks for coming back on the offer to speak to Kent

Let me know a couple of times and dates next week that would work for you so that I can get that this into Kent's diary. Also, which chatroom would you prefer to use?

As soon as I have that info, we'll get this arranged

Alex @ Phorm
Old 10-04-2008, 14:47   #2839
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/20Thinking View Post
Looks like the best we can do is Wireless through BT OpenZone, though I'm not sure what sort of speed we'd be working wit. I'm on the case. One way or the other we'll be able to get the content out, and probably also take questions via email.
If they have money I kow a company that hires out a mobile satalite BB van with all needed to work news coverage for large boat shows.
Old 10-04-2008, 14:53   #2840
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

hi Alex @ Phorm;

Who are you. PR company, work for Phorm directly or what?

Why have Phorm posted inaccurate statements in the statement today.

Plese let kent know I am writing a formal complaint to the financial authorities about the matter, as the statement is misleading given the current statement by VM that they have not yet signed to use your system, amongst other things.

Once again a lack of truth and you still expect us to trust you!!!!

many thanks
Old 10-04-2008, 15:18   #2841
jca111
Inactive

jca111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alex @ Phorm

Why do you come on here with all your PR Spin from Phorm, but refuse to answer questions sent to you either privately or as posts on this board?

Whats the point in that? - that's not portraying an honest and open company, it makes you appear like you are hiding stuff! So you have failed in your PR job horribly!

So please stop the spin if you are going to post here, and start answering directly questions sent to you - without spin - if its is at all possible for you to do that!
Old 10-04-2008, 15:22   #2842
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca111 View Post
Yeah - i've noticed that in iii. But there are a load of positively spun News articles and results on there! Still saying they have "exclusive agreements" with Virgin Media - despite us all being told otherwise elsewhere! Starnge - someone is telling a half truth - but who????

Dunno why no movement either way tho.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...ents/#c_197366

Quote:
@Virgin Media's Silence
By Anonymous Coward
Posted Thursday 10th April 2008 10:32 GMT

Her manager was more useful, and mentioned that Webwise was supposed to be in place by now, but wasn't because of media and public backlash. This didn't square with the CEO office guy, who said that they are still very much in the initial stages of exploring the technology, so something doesn't quite add up there.
That wouild make me think it is all signed just been put back until the dust settles.

I also noticed a member on ISPreview saying he has been told by VM when he called in to cancel that the contracts are automaticaly renewing 12 months and if he wants to leave he has to pay the remainding months. He has been a customer of Blueyounder for years.. Is this the act of a desperate company.
Old 10-04-2008, 15:48   #2843
jca111
Inactive

Finally a trade today - only a small one tho.

15:13:27 10-Apr-2008 1,485.00 250 3,712.50 Ordinary Trade
Old 10-04-2008, 15:52   #2844
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...ents/#c_197366

That wouild make me think it is all signed just been put back until the dust settles.

I also noticed a member on ISPreview saying he has been told by VM when he called in to cancel that the contracts are automaticaly renewing 12 months and if he wants to leave he has to pay the remainding months. He has been a customer of Blueyounder for years.. Is this the act of a desperate company.
I could be wrong on this but I seem to remember reading something about automatically renewing contracts. If I remember correctly you can only be locked in for the first term after that any automatic renewal can be cancelled without penalty.

Something along those lines anyway. I may have read about it on the consumer action group website.

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 16:02   #2845
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/20Thinking View Post
Actually, I can't really fault Phorm on this one. The ICO only launched the PIA initiative last December, and Phorm contacted us in January. Hardly anyone knew such a process existed until then. We started the work as soon as we could clear our diaries. Given those circumstances we had to reconstruct the ICO guidance along a different timeframe.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Looks like the best we can do is Wireless through BT OpenZone, though I'm not sure what sort of speed we'd be working with. I'm on the case. One way or the other we'll be able to get the content out, and probably also take questions via email.
i dont see a problem, given this PIA effects a mass of the UK populas, and that campus students will more than likely come in contact with this at some point, then they to are in some way effected by this.

a quick search
http://www.soas.ac.uk/business/business.html

http://search.virginmedia.com/result...ryUK&x=50&y=14
indicates that they have

http://www.soas.ac.uk/soasnet/govern...comm/34125.pdf
"
SCHOOL OF ORIENTAL AND AFRICAN STUDIES
ACADEMIC SERVICES COMMITTEE
MINUTES
Wednesday 19 October 2005
(c) Streaming
The Head of Learning and Teaching Strategy spoke to a paper (Appendix E), reporting on the successful delivery of streaming technology to support learning and teaching, to stream plenary lectures of the summer’s AEGIS conference, and to record and stream for on-demand access the School’s inaugural lectures. A demonstration by the E-Learning Trainer at the recent planning day, showing how multimedia and streaming developments might support the School’s strategic development, had been well received, and the E-Learning Trainer was thanked for his efforts. A proposal for a blended-learning course, combining on- and off-campus delivery, would be brought to the next meeting of Learning and Teaching Policy Committee.
"

"
(d) Wireless Networking
The Information Technology Manager spoke to a paper (Appendix F) on the planned piloting of wireless networking in the School, noting a slight change in that the control network switches were due to be replaced in the next 12 months, not 6 as suggested by the report. The use of wireless cart technology was suggested, and it was noted that the Information Technology Manager would consult on the teaching rooms and other locations which would initially be covered by the pilot. It was agreed that information about the pilot should be communicated to the student recruitment team, as the availability of a wireless network was a major selling point in the recruitment of new students. "

surely it must be possible to have a word with the network tech's there and tap into this available kit so as to cover this UK wide individuals stakeholder analysis

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

if you cant arrange good free wireless streaming net coverage on a UK campus your not trying hard enough

and BTW , private Email questions are not appropriate for a public PIA.

you must open this up realtime for all partys to contribute and be heard publicly.
Old 10-04-2008, 16:06   #2846
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Concerning these phorged cookies that Richard Clayton refers to (B 20-25)...

User 'Mark H' over on the BT forum makes quite an interesting point.

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...rt=37&tstart=0

Ah, I notice that PhormUKPRteam are lurking, perhaps they will spin an answer.
Old 10-04-2008, 16:13   #2847
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Unless they have made a massive change to their terms of service (which would, incidentally, allow any customer to terminate their contract with 30 days notice), then VM were lying. You can terminate the contract by giving 30 days notice after the initial 12 months.

From http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...ble/terms.html section J 1

Quote:
This agreement will continue until the end of the minimum period for each service you take. After the end of all relevant minimum periods, any party may end this agreement by giving the other 30 days' notice. You must pay any relevant usage charges and line rental up to the end of that 30-day notice period. You may also cancel a service after the end of its minimum period by giving us 30 days' notice.
Old 10-04-2008, 16:21   #2848
jca111
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt88man View Post
Concerning these phorged cookies that Richard Clayton refers to (B 20-25)...

User 'Mark H' over on the BT forum makes quite an interesting point.

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...rt=37&tstart=0

Ah, I notice that PhormUKPRteam are lurking, perhaps they will spin an answer.
from http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...rt=37&tstart=0 Mark H wrote:
Quote:
Another thing with the cookie situation, they forge cookies for sites, without the sites explicit consent. As others have pointed out, this leaves a situation that sites who don't normally set cookies can/will have them set on their behalf.

How much trouble could this cause for websites that don't set cookies and include a statement in their privacy statement or policy saying they don't and won't set cookies?

Webmaster: "We don't set cookies, we don't need to, and don't want to."

Website User: "You are lying, every time I visit your site you set a cookie."

Webmaster: "No, we don't, there's something wrong here obviously, can you provide proof please?"

Website User: provides screenshots and examples of the cookie "See, I told you that your site was setting cookies."

Exactly who has broken the privacy policy set by that website at this point?
This is a very good point. Also - is a cookie copyright? If I, as a website site owner state that my site is copyright - surely this includes the cookie? So, by them messing with it - are they in breach of my copyright?

Alex @ Phorm - could you answer this for us?
Old 10-04-2008, 16:21   #2849
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

hi phorm

I am waiting for an answer please.

You know it is rude to ignore somebody when being asked a question. But what can be expected considering teh company you represent.

hey ho just more badphorm
Old 10-04-2008, 16:43   #2850
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

I've been patiently waiting for several days for an answer to a query I posted to the Phorm blog but have just noticed that loads of earlier posts (and their respective comments) have been 'disappeared'.

So that's *another* element of netiquette that they feel is okay to ignore...

Closed Thread