Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SH3 conundrum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SH3 conundrum

Old 09-10-2018, 22:06   #1
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all
SH3 conundrum

Updated the VM connect app and it would only really work properly with a SH3. The app says I am entitled to a free SH3 and I would like to be part of the general VM WiFi availability, however this forum has given it a bad name. Comments appreciated.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2018, 00:31   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: SH3 conundrum

No issues for me in gaming or with WiFi and depending on your future internet speed you have to have a Hub3.

I would get the Hub3 see how you get on with it in router mode then you can put it in modem mode and buy your own router if it isn't good enough for you.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:12   #3
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The Hub 3 is now fine. It only took 2 years to get to this stage!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:15   #4
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

OK good to know. Had to uninstall VM Connect app, keeps stopping - crashing. Can only link to SH3. Gone back to the previous version, thanks both.
Attached Images
File Type: png vm-stopping.png (12.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: gif SH3 no extra cost.gif (11.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by JPAC; 10-10-2018 at 09:19.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36   #5
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Surely the issue will always remain if the chip was overloaded? (The multiple-hundred-page VM thread is a bit long to catch up on!)

Those gorgeous 300ms spikes to the local LAN were fun. Can't imagine they were fixable?

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:04   #6
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
Surely the issue will always remain if the chip was overloaded? (The multiple-hundred-page VM thread is a bit long to catch up on!)

Those gorgeous 300ms spikes to the local LAN were fun. Can't imagine they were fixable?

Tom
Yep, they were fixed.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:16   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
Yep, they were fixed.
... much to my surprise as per Tom's remark.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 13:46   #8
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
... much to my surprise as per Tom's remark.
I'll be honest, I didn't think it was ever going to happen and given the amount of time and messing about moving things between CPU and PP (and everything in-between), I don't think they thought they would fix it either!
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 14:43   #9
SirThomas
cf.addict

SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Apparently they're sending me out (another) Hub3 for upgraded BB - I'll plug mine in and see what differences there are. Can't hurt.

Do we know if Hubs update without an active service plan?

Tom
Old 10-10-2018, 14:59   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You shouldn't be sent a new Hub 3 if you have one that works - there is only one model.
Old 10-10-2018, 15:25   #11
JPAC
cf.addict

Just to add when I tried to order a Hub 3 at no extra cost, the links don't work via the app. Calling 150, they said there was a £25 delivery and activation fee, hence I won't be getting a Hub 3.
Old 10-10-2018, 16:10   #12
SirThomas
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You shouldn't be sent a new Hub 3 if you have one that works - there is only one model.
Oh absolutely - I had a Hub3 previously sent to me, but put my trusty 2ac back into action!

Just curious if they auto-update without activation, as it'd be good to see if the improvements are indeed helpful (GUI, LAN latency etc..)

Tom
Old 11-10-2018, 23:09   #13
SirThomas
cf.addict

Smile Re: SH3 conundrum

Quote:
Completely agree! Installed and tested mine out today...
A bit for you, should it help JPAC;

*Local LAN latency IS NOW FIXED, so that's a biggie.
*The GUI is perfectly usable and a world apart from the old release. That was like moving through treacle.
*Passwords still in plain text and require daft characters.
*2.4>5GHz passover is still flawed, but tbh that's no huge problem anyways.
*Port forwarding used to be a pain and not work - Yet to test this and I'll edit when I do.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my new one is of a differing hardware release, as the build quality and is totally different.

>In short and for normal usage purposes I would go for it.
It now passes my seal of approval. It certainly didn't before.

Only thing I'd love, is the ability to use custom DNS - But completely understandable why it isn't.

Tom
Old 12-10-2018, 00:49   #14
JPAC
cf.addict

Thanks for the info SirThomas. Interesting comment over on the VM forum; "with self install vm often send reconditioned routers, whereas the engineers are more likely to have a new device. So in my opinion much better spending 40 on a new device which works than 25 on a second hand self install which may or may not work."

Maybe it's a case of 'if it's not broken don't fix it.'
Old 12-10-2018, 01:09   #15
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Ben actually there r 2 models, Black and White lol.

I know they are identical internally but externally they are not.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote