Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Set-top box queries...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will the V6 automatically re-record shows after it deleted them itself?

Old 24-09-2018, 05:41   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Will the V6 automatically re-record shows after it deleted them itself?

Due to a shortage of disc space, my V6 deleted some episodes of a series that I haven't watched yet.

Will it automatically record them again when they are repeated, or will it treat it as already recorded/watched and thus ignore the repeat showings?

It's set to record new and reruns btw.

If not, I guess the only way is to set it to record everything and keep deleting the ones I've watched or already got recorded.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2018, 07:04   #2
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Will the V6 automatically re-record shows after it deleted them itself?

It does re-record repeats if they no longer exist on the box and were deleted something like at least a month ago.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 12:53   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Cheers, if that's the case then it should be ok.

I had thought that it might treat recordings that had never been watched (even partly) that it had deleted itself differently.
Old 24-09-2018, 12:55   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Cheers, if that's the case then it should be ok.

I had thought that it might treat recordings that had never been watched (even partly) that it had deleted itself differently.
Also, you may be able to bookmark the missing programmes right now if they are on demand still.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 13:05   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks, but the programmes never go onto on demand unfortunately.
Old 24-09-2018, 20:22   #6
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Thanks, but the programmes never go onto on demand unfortunately.

The recordings may be recoverable from the recently deleted area.

I assume you know you can keep recordings indefinitely by going to the recording choosing

more options
then select keep until
then keep until I delete
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 20:42   #7
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
The recordings may be recoverable from the recently deleted area.

I assume you know you can keep recordings indefinitely by going to the recording choosing

more options
then select keep until
then keep until I delete
When the TiVo software deletes a real recording for space management, it is gone (as are all the deleted recordings which are deleted before any real recordings).
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 16:11   #8
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
When the TiVo software deletes a real recording for space management, it is gone (as are all the deleted recordings which are deleted before any real recordings).

Ok, but I presume a recording marked 'keep until I delete' will not be deleted by TiVo software looking for space

Am I correct in thinking this?
Old 25-09-2018, 16:21   #9
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Yes KUID will stop a recording being deleted for space management reasons.
I, personally, would use it sparingly and certainly not set it as the default recording setting.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 17:18   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

That's right, because if you did and you ran out of space, the V6 would not be able to record anything new.
Old 25-09-2018, 18:51   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's right, because if you did and you ran out of space, the V6 would not be able to record anything new.
Well if you run out of space, something has to give, either previous recordings, or new recordings. Personal choice which you prefer.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 20:25   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I would prefer it to simply stop recording like the V+ used to. Very recent programmes are likely to be on the repeat channels and/or catch up, whereas things that are months old are less likely to be.

I remember SP once saying that KUID should be used very sparingly, presumably because this would prevent new recordings.
Old 25-09-2018, 22:29   #13
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I would prefer it to simply stop recording like the V+ used to. Very recent programmes are likely to be on the repeat channels and/or catch up, whereas things that are months old are less likely to be.

I remember SP once saying that KUID should be used very sparingly, presumably because this would prevent new recordings.
I use it all the time - in fact I would like to be able to set recordings to automatically do this (currently I have to manual change each recording)

My logic for doing this is much the same as yours
Old 26-09-2018, 10:20   #14
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I use it all the time - in fact I would like to be able to set recordings to automatically do this (currently I have to manual change each recording)

My logic for doing this is much the same as yours
Exactly my thought process too, I'd prefer to choose what is deleted when.

You can change the series link to KUID but cannot set it as default for new series links if that makes sense. Sounds like you're changing every recording. Will be a long task to do all but at least it's done and every recording afterwards is set as you want
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 13:31   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Exactly my thought process too, I'd prefer to choose what is deleted when.

You can change the series link to KUID but cannot set it as default for new series links if that makes sense. Sounds like you're changing every recording. Will be a long task to do all but at least it's done and every recording afterwards is set as you want
I only use KUID for the very best of my recordings. I take the view that if some of my recordings that I do not flag up in this way drop off after a year or so because we haven't watched them, we would probably never get around to watching them anyway!

Having said that, I tend to do my own programme culls when the hard drive gets to 90% full!