Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Keeping out Spiders

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Keeping out Spiders

Old 23-09-2018, 22:44   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Keeping out Spiders

Is there anything that actually works to keep out spiders in the winter such as conkers in the corner of the room or those plug in devices?

I keep getting them in my hallway and frightens the heck out of me.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2018, 00:42   #2
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack
Re: Keeping out Spiders

Alan it's actually healthy to have a few house spiders about the place

They make webs etc and catch all the other insects/beasties/bugs that are too small for you too see about the house and they feed on them.House spiders in the UK are pretty harmless,clean we chaps and not known for carrying germs etc
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 08:40   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Since we had our Siamese there hasn't been a spider seen anywhere and flying insects dont last long either.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:37   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
Alan it's actually healthy to have a few house spiders about the place

They make webs etc and catch all the other insects/beasties/bugs that are too small for you too see about the house and they feed on them.House spiders in the UK are pretty harmless,clean we chaps and not known for carrying germs etc
Exactly!..Now If it was flies I'd say go for it..
Old 24-09-2018, 11:28   #5
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Could have done with some spiders around the house over the past month. Bought some tangerines, went to open them the next day and a cloud of fruit flies appeared. Took ages to get rid of them and the only thing that seemed to work was leaving fruit to rot in pint glasses with a sheet of paper rolled into a funnel so they would crawl down in but not be able to get out.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 11:37   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I don't think you can keep them out without hermetically sealing up your house and that is a bad move as pollutants from internal activities build up. Open a window or door and in they come.

There's always going to be small cracks and cranies where they can get in, gaps between floorboards or where the skirting boards meet the floors.

As has been said they do a job of keeping the insect population in check. Except for the bigger ones that I take out with my bug-a-salt gun.
Old 24-09-2018, 18:01   #7
djfunkdup

djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Except for the bigger ones that I take out with my bug-a-salt gun.
Shit man you can't kill them They are amazing creatures ,just catch them and let them go free.They don't mean any harm they are just finding somewhere warm and safe and they know that everyone's house has plenty of tiny bugs to feed on that we can't really see with the naked eye ..
Old 24-09-2018, 18:18   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from djfunkdup:

Shit man you can't kill them They are amazing creatures ,just catch them and let them go free.They don't mean any harm they are just finding somewhere warm and safe and they know that everyone's house has plenty of tiny bugs to feed on that we can't really see with the naked eye ..
I'm sorry you miss-read me. I meant take out the bigger flies, wasps etc. I don't have a problem with the big house spiders, OH is less keen though.
Old 24-09-2018, 18:24   #9
djfunkdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I'm sorry you miss-read me. I meant take out the bigger flies, wasps etc. I don't have a problem with the big house spiders, OH is less keen though.

Oh that's good i feel better now .. i can ditch the sad music on utube

And get back to some Drum+Bass
Old 24-09-2018, 18:55   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Not seen many wasps this year, plenty of flies though.
(which dies as soon as they start to buzz around me and hence annoy me).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 19:07   #11
djfunkdup

Yes flies are different ! Can't stand them either because they land on lots of very unpleasant things and breakdance then they expect to do the same dance moves on your face !!

Hate the feckers... Except fruit flies there kinda cute lol
Old 24-09-2018, 20:29   #12
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Drum & bass would drive me out of any house and not the spiders.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 22:13   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've heard that chestnuts/conkers give of a gas that spiders hate
Old 25-09-2018, 00:33   #14
djfunkdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Drum & bass would drive me out of any house and not the spiders.

You might surprise yourself

Irelands finest : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cOS3MSPrQs
Old 25-09-2018, 17:53   #15
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote