Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New DSLReports speedtester

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New DSLReports speedtester

Old 18-09-2015, 11:29   #76
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: New DSLReports speedtester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
An 8 port gigabit switch is £20. An 8 port 10Gb switch is £600. A gigabit NIC from a recognised brand is £6. The cheapest, unknown brand 10Gb NIC I could find is £200. The answer is price versus performance making sense.

The sweet spot is about 3-4 times the price for 10 times the bandwidth. Right now 10GBase-T isn't even close at 30x.

As the presentation indicates there are genuine use cases in offices and, in time, homes, for 2.5Gb and 5Gb. The idea that it's because incremental upgrades are more profitable seems strange given it's not incremental, 10Gb has already been released, it's just too expensive for the applications that may use it.

EDIT: I glossed entirely over something else quite obvious, too. The vast majority of cabling is Cat 5. 10Gbase-T doesn't run so well on most Cat 5, so something that will allow upgraded bandwidth without requiring changing out of all cables in offices is very desirable.
10gbit is out there but not aimed at the consumer market. As a consumer product 2.5gbit first makes sense.

Look at across the entire hardware space and you see the practice is incremental upgrades, from smartphones to computer components.

No way do hardware vendors release the best they have to offer, they always keep something in the pocket to get your money another day.

As an example intel have been making 16 core cpu's for years, yet we only got their first consumer 8 core cpu earlier this year.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2015, 11:59   #77
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Hardware vendors don't release the best they've got because it's too expensive.

10GBase-T has been around since 2006. If there were demand for it there would be more units produced and it would be more common.

You're complaining about 10GBase-T being an unnecessary incremental upgrade. I'm just pointing out that it is not. Something is needed to fill the gap as 10GBase-T hasn't come close to the levels of usage it was expected to originally.

Of course hardware vendors don't release their absolute state of the art as consumer products except in rare occasions like GPUs where some nutters will pay nearly £1k for a graphics card. It's. Too. Expensive.

Intel have been making 16 core CPUs, yes. How many people run applications that actually make use of 16 cores? I have a machine that has 16 cores, 2 x 8 core Xeon. It's my home lab machine and runs ESXi. I rarely have it switched on as it eats electricity like a beast and blasts out so much heat it raises the temperature noticeably in the floor above. I would suggest that's not a common usage scenario, so they have been targeted at businesses.

The big power whores for CPUs are gamers, for whom most games don't make much use of multithreading and fewer, faster cores are preferable, and things like video transcoding, which is something that lends itself well to multithreading but will be done on enterprise kit.

It's the same argument as with broadband. People don't want to pay for the latest and greatest for the most part, they just want good enough. The vast majority of VM's customer base continue to take the lowest sold product.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 12:32   #78
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I would prefer 10gbit over 2.5gbit, but I am just saying how business looks at it.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 16:33   #79
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I would prefer 10gbit over 2.5gbit, but I am just saying how business looks at it.
Then you're in luck.
Old 18-09-2015, 17:26   #80
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

It's a lot pricier than it should be
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 18:05   #81
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
A 160Gb switching fabric doesn't come cheap.
Old 18-09-2015, 20:45   #82
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
That was a really interesting link and I read it all, but I'm still a little unconvinced. Their mean reasoning for 2.5G and 5G to exist is that wireless speeds have surpassed gigabit - and it's a worthy point. However, on the same slide they state this, they show that wireless speeds are going to go beyond 5Gbit in less than 2 years and faster still in 3 years.

It still seems like a bit of a pointless stop-gap between 10GbE? Then again, the cabling aspect is a worthy one and it's certainly better to be able to negotiate to 5Gbit if 10Gbit isn't possible on that particular cable. I suppose that's the real difference, having something inbetween for when your cabling isn't good enough. Still, it'd be nice if this just meant that devices started shipping with 10GbE capable ports that could just negotiate down, rather than trickling devices that do 2.5GbE and 5GbE.
I'm not sure how seriously I can take an "Enterprise" vendor trumpeting 5Gbps cat videos as a use case for their technologies.

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Quote:
10GBase-T has been around since 2006. If there were demand for it there would be more units produced and it would be more common.

You're complaining about 10GBase-T being an unnecessary incremental upgrade. I'm just pointing out that it is not. Something is needed to fill the gap as 10GBase-T hasn't come close to the levels of usage it was expected to originally.
Probably because there's little benefit to it on edge devices partly because they never expected hard drives to be stuck at 50% more STR than they had 10 years ago. That, and the fact that it's not going to go anywhere near a laptop or low-end home PC until it starts using less idle power than the whole PC.

On the other hand, I don't know a single datacentre core that doesn't run on 10GbE already. Everywhere I know that actually needs 10GbE has it, with many moving beyond.

Still, as I mentioned before I suspect the pricing and take-up may change significantly over the next couple of years thanks to certain very large, powerful companies bundling it into mass-market consumer gear at below-cost prices.

Quote:
Intel have been making 16 core CPUs, yes. How many people run applications that actually make use of 16 cores? I have a machine that has 16 cores, 2 x 8 core Xeon.
And you call me a nutter for my 24-bay NAS with a single 4-core Xeon?

P.S. 22-core Broadwell-EP is due out in the next month or two.

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Quote:
Wanna guess how much one of these costs?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/product...-2t/index.html
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 05:06   #83
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Nice. Is that CPE connected over USB or are they actually handing out 10GBASE-T gear?
Just FYI the kit they supply is one of these.

Yes really.
Old 21-09-2015, 12:23   #84
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Included in the $300 a month or extra?

I'd normally say that'd definitely make it a SME product and not "rich home user" but that said, it's fanless. Fanless.
Old 21-09-2015, 13:12   #85
Ignitionnet
Inactive

It's included in the price.

It's environmentally hardened kit, it's intended more for use as an access router than taking a 10Gb feed for a property.

I've a suspicion Comcast know they won't sell many and are reusing surplus metro net equipment as CPE
Old 21-09-2015, 14:43   #86
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's environmentally hardened kit, it's intended more for use as an access router than taking a 10Gb feed for a property.
That much is obvious from the 16 TDM ports and the "next-generation access routers" line in the description

Should be perfectly sufficient for your 600Mbps+ dual-WAN requirement though
Old 28-09-2015, 22:12   #87
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Speedtest.net has put up a beta test.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4701464425
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 02:10   #88
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Flash based, but seems to work ok ;

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4701931336

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 04:41   #89
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Working just fine.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 05:49   #90
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Speedtest.net has put up a beta test.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4701464425
Yes, we mentioned it several months ago.