Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:58   #991
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Good to see one company at least listening to customers fears, I can see I wil be arranging a BT line and moving to ADSL good job speed isnt important to me since I am a distance from the exchange.

Just would prefer slower speeds and my knowledge I am ot being spied on and force fed advewrts.
Me too Florence. Though I'm in an LLU enabled area, I'm quite a distance from the exchange, so that means getting a significantly lower speed than I'd like. However, its a price I'm willing to pay to receive an honest service.
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2008, 09:27   #992
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

just a quick an update on the politicalpenguin website, - http://www.politicalpenguin.org.uk/blog/p,299/

Quote:
Some questions answered by Phorm - March 11th, 2008

I’m just posting up in a main article, answers to some of the questions I asked of Phorm as they were published in the comments section of another post and just in case anyone missed them.

I’m still waiting on answers to the other ones but at least they’ve been good enough to address these so far.

read rest here http://www.politicalpenguin.org.uk/blog/p,299/
as usual, certain questions have not been engaged :/
Old 11-03-2008, 09:35   #993
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

And the answer to question 3, Phorm have paid the ISP's nothing!

So VM aren't selling our privacy, they're giving it away for free.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:51   #994
none
Inactive

This was posted this morning - http://www.londonstockexchange.com/L...614&source=RNS

right there in that first paragraph, porky pies anyone, or just economical with the truth?

Quote:
Regulatory Announcement

Company - Phorm Inc
TIDM - PHRM
Headline - Re Share Price Movement
Released - 07:02 11-Mar-08
Number - 8031P

Phorm, Inc. (“Phorm” or the “Company”)

Announcement of Fundraising

Statement re: Share Price Movement

Phorm (AIM: PHRM and PHRX), the advertising technology company, notes the recent movement in its share price. It confirms that it is not aware of any undisclosed commercial factors that would have had such an effect.

The Company can confirm that it is in the course of conducting a roadshow regarding a potential institutional equity fundraising for up to $65 million with brokers Morgan Stanley and Canaccord Adams, further details of which will be announced in due course.

Phorm continues to make good progress with BT, Talk Talk and Virgin Media in terms of implementing its online advertising platform, the Open Internet Exchange (OIX), and a free consumer internet feature, Webwise, which results in fewer irrelevant advertisements and additional protection against fraudulent websites. Implementation is on track and consumer trials are expected to begin in due course, after which a full roll out across these networks is expected to commence.

Phorm also continues to be in advanced discussions with other ISPs both in the UK and other markets regarding the adoption of OIX and Webwise and will provide a further update to the market once these discussions are concluded.

In addition, since announcing the launch of OIX and Webwise on 14 February 2008, Phorm has made significant progress with the publishing and advertising community and is delighted with the enthusiastic response it has received to date.

The Company is also aware of some recent press speculation regarding certain aspects of Phorm’s technology, including some misconceptions which we are taking steps to address, and would like to clarify the following points:

· Phorm will never store any personal information, or anything that can identify a user. The only information stored is an anonymous random number assigned to a user’s browser, the advertising categories that match their areas of interest and a time stamp

· Users will have a clear choice whether to switch Webwise on or off

· Our technology complies with the Data Protection Act, RIPA and other applicable UK laws

· Phorm is committed to open and transparent disclosure. Prior to its announcement on 14 February 2008, the Company initiated a dialogue with the Information Commissioner's Office, together with many other leading stakeholders in the area of online privacy, to share details of its technology which Phorm believes sets a new 'gold standard' on privacy and anonymity. The reactions we have received to date have been very encouraging. Further details are available at Phorm’s website www.phorm.com

read rest here - http://www.londonstockexchange.com/L...614&source=RNS
Old 11-03-2008, 10:21   #995
Jayceef1
Inactive

Jayceef1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Your looking forward to this i can tell. You must have been one of the users that voted YES please sell all my information to the root kit and spyware companies i don't mind.
Another person making incorrect assumptions without actually taking on board facts. I rest my case.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:39   #996
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

Over the past 2 weeks Phorm have worked very hard to say no personal data, yada yada is collected.

However the patent aplication tells a different story from the spin.

Below is my post from the spy forum, and I would love to hear from Phorm and the PR people if they dont keep personal data, why have the spent the time and effort in papenting a technology that not only does keep personal data, but goes far wors into invading privacy then the public statements ever said.

Below is my post on the spy forum (bigbadcol) aka (bubblehelp)

I am sick of Phorm and the misleading spin they are placing on this. As the patent application clearly shows . Too many lies have been told by phorm and the PR team. All of which can be proved to be deception to the community.

http://www.freshpatents.com/Targeted...hp?type=claims

for example

"where the script is configured to set a cookie in the browser, and where the cookie contains at least a portion of the browsing information. "

A COOKIE CAN BE TRACKED. IT IS STORING PERSONAL BROWSING INFORMATION. You lie Phorm

"Context reader 40 is not limited to acquiring keyword or other contextual information pertaining to a given web page. Indeed, the browsing information may be collected so as to also include historical data pertaining to the browsing performed "

Again Phorm have been lying. The truthe of the matter is in the patent.

"Based on analysis occurring at the proxy server, the proxy server may modify client-requested data it receives so that a targeted advertisement appears on a web page requested by a client"

So you are changing the data stream Changing the requested data. Lie number 3 Phorm.

SPIN AND MORE SPIN WILL NOT CHANGE THE FACT OF THE PATENT APPLICATION.

And you say you dont collect personal data do you. Er this is what your patent says

"As explained above, the context reader may be configured to more than just keyword and other contextual data pertaining to a given web page. The context reader may also include behavioral data (e.g, browsing behavior), other historical data collected over time, demographic data associated with the user, IP address, URL data, etc."

Note the section

"The context reader may also include behavioral data (e.g, browsing behavior), other historical data collected over time, demographic data associated with the user, IP address, URL data, etc."

Er whats that you say -"you dont collect IP addresses. Your patent says... YOU DO.

You Lie Again Phorm
Old 11-03-2008, 10:51   #997
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayceef1 View Post
Another person making incorrect assumptions without actually taking on board facts. I rest my case.
You never have and or do not have a case to rest.

I see you are on a mission to dismiss everything or every concern people genuinely have about Phorm - so what is the point in arguing with someone who believes black is white?

Just take on board the fact that some users and there is a lot of these, that they do not want to have their data tracked by their ISP so it can be sent to a third party such as Phorm. End of story.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:03   #998
Horace
Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
And the answer to question 3, Phorm have paid the ISP's nothing!

So VM aren't selling our privacy, they're giving it away for free.
VM would get a cut of the advertising revenue. Effectively the same thing without any risk on Phorms part and VM taking a huge risk with their customer's loyalties.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:10   #999
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...ot_optout.html
"
TalkTalk to make Phorm use opt-in, not opt-out

One of the three big ISPs that has signed up to Phorm's web-tracking systems says that you'll have to choose to use it, not ask to be left out
March 10, 2008 4:37 PM

An email we've seen with the name of Charles Dunstone, head of Carphone Warehouse (and of course of TalkTalk) quotes him agreeing to the statement that "as far as TalkTalk is concerned, the Phorm system is never enabled until a user explictly decides to 'opt in'."

A PR for TalkTalk says that "It's certainly the case that Carphone has the policy that any of its customers who want to use Phorm have to positively opt-in.

Their belief is that customers should not get the service by default and that reception towards these type of services is always better if customers understand them and the benefit to them and want it - not if they found that, without their consent, data relating to their telecoms usage - however secure and anonymous - was being shared with others".
"
What that doesn't say is whether people are opting in to "relevant adverts" or opting in to the "all your browsing belong to us" scheme. My money is on the former of those with the latter being a given to all customers.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:31   #1000
PhormUKPRteam
Inactive

PhormUKPRteam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
Phorm will be hosting another live webchat with the CEO and CIO tonight at 20.30 UK time - again the URL is http://www.webwise.com/chat
Thanks
PhormUKPRTeam
Old 11-03-2008, 11:42   #1001
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhormUKPRteam View Post
Hi all
Phorm will be hosting another live webchat with the CEO and CIO tonight at 20.30 UK time - again the URL is http://www.webwise.com/chat
Thanks
PhormUKPRTeam
Great I am sure you will tel the truth as per your patent aplication. and explain. the following from....

http://www.freshpatents.com/Targeted...hp?type=claims

20080052161 - Alteration of promotional content in media works - A classification method .

{so you are going to alter web pages}

20080052171 - System and method for targeting advertisements - An advertisement selection system is presented in which vectors describing an actual or hypothetical market for a product or desired viewing audience can be determined. An ad characterization vector is transmitted along with a consumer ID. The consumer ID is used to retrieve a consumer characterization vector which is correlated ...

{Oh you use a consumer id so not anonimous then)

"context reader may be configured to more than just keyword and other contextual data pertaining to a given web page. The context reader may also include behavioral data (e.g, browsing behavior), other historical data collected over time, demographic data associated with the user, IP address, URL data, etc."

{ so you do collect demographic data historical data and associate them with an IP address. You must be hiding the truth when you say IP addresses are not collected. Your Patent says they are

Stop spinning a lie you are a TROLL

Other forum reader please read the patent. It is a record of what privacy invasion is possible with this technology.

Stop Phorm now and sign the patition at

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/
Old 11-03-2008, 12:09   #1002
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=8925
"
Privacy watchdog investigates Phorm

OUT-LAW News, 11/03/2008

Privacy watchdog the Information Commissioner is investigating advertising technology company Phorm over a deal it has cut with the UK's top internet service providers.

The deal allows ISPs a cut of ad revenue in return for providing data on customers' web use and has attracted controversy since its announcement four weeks ago, with some users fearing for their privacy.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) requested details of the technology and the deal from Phorm and the ISPs involved, BT, Virgin Media and Carphone Warehouse.

"At our request, Phorm has provided written information to us about the way in which the company intends to meet privacy standards," said an ICO spokesperson. "We are currently reviewing this information. We are also in contact with the ISPs who are working with Phorm and we are discussing this issue with them."

Phorm has said that the information about a user's activity is not connected to individual identities, which protects user privacy.

OUT-LAW.COM has sought answers to a series of questions from Phorm since the announcement of the deal weeks ago, but the company has not provided answers or made a representative available for interview.
Company chief executive Kent Ertegrul told The Register last week, though, that he believes users should have no privacy concerns.

The company commissioned Simon Davies from privacy pressure group Privacy International to analyse the technology. He said he was satisfied that what he saw was sound from a privacy point of view.

"It is true to say that from everything we saw, and we think we saw everything, the system seems to not use personally-identifiable information," he told OUT-LAW.COM. "It works on the basis of a cookie that seems to have no information on the machine it's embedded in.

I can't see where their system can draw any inferences or information about the computer or the user."
"
Old 11-03-2008, 12:17   #1003
Jayceef1
Inactive

Jayceef1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You never have and or do not have a case to rest.

I see you are on a mission to dismiss everything or every concern people genuinely have about Phorm - so what is the point in arguing with someone who believes black is white?

Just take on board the fact that some users and there is a lot of these, that they do not want to have their data tracked by their ISP so it can be sent to a third party such as Phorm. End of story.
I have never said that I dismiss peoples genuine concerns or argue that black is white. Again you misinterpret. Just that people should base their concerns on facts rather than unfounded speculation of what it will do or what might happen in the future. A lot is of this is based on the BT implementation which is far more advanced that the others. CPW look like they will implement differently and VM could do different still. When we "know" exactly how it will work then you can make the judgement call. I know some will say not at any cost but others may not providing the safeguards are adequate or they put their own solution in place and some will not care at all.

Unless it is ruled out completely by the European commisison then it is highly likely that it will happen in some form whatever anyone thinks and most other ISPs are likely to follow suit. I am not for it but it may be something that we have to live with for cheap broadband.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:40   #1004
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

http://www.out-law.com/page-4

"OUT-LAW Services

OUT-LAW is part of Pinsent Masons which is among the 100 largest law firms in the world. We can help you with a full range of legal solutions. Here you'll find a selection of our services."

its interesting that Outlaw a law firm, cant get answers from Phorm, as per above story.

its also interesting that BT did apparently run unlawful trials last year on a selection of their userbase using this very same Phorm patent pending Kit.

its also interesting that an effected BT tech user, happens to grab a dataset of this web traffic while this trial is taking place, and discovers several things about what it is doing to his data stream.

its also interesting that infact Phorm didnt register with the data protection registrar so commiting an offence,until at least 6 months AFTER this Unlawful BT data sharing trial took place.

thats enough interesting facts for now then, i hope you agree...
Old 11-03-2008, 12:58   #1005
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayceef1 View Post
I have never said that I dismiss peoples genuine concerns or argue that black is white. Again you misinterpret. Just that people should base their concerns on facts rather than unfounded speculation of what it will do or what might happen in the future. A lot is of this is based on the BT implementation which is far more advanced that the others. CPW look like they will implement differently and VM could do different still. When we "know" exactly how it will work then you can make the judgement call. I know some will say not at any cost but others may not providing the safeguards are adequate or they put their own solution in place and some will not care at all.

Unless it is ruled out completely by the European commisison then it is highly likely that it will happen in some form whatever anyone thinks and most other ISPs are likely to follow suit. I am not for it but it may be something that we have to live with for cheap broadband.
You think this is cheap BB wake up I have a friend in Sweden he moved there from Wales 2 yrs ago his BB connection is 100meg down 2.5meg up nd he pays less than I do for package 2 with Virgin..

Anyone who does a little work from home occasionaly wil have all the works details picked up by this Phorm, It will take a simple script an a few seconds and without your knowledge Phorm could have your name address and telephoine number if it is stored on your PC...

Would you give your bank details to a person who claims to be a reformed thief?

Would you give a person who says he is a reformed Car thief your Jaguar keys?

Your PC has hidden around it personal details about you a simple line of script to those who are not programmers will look like it doesn't pose a threat but this script could reveal everything about you. Your PC holds more information than you would tell your bank manager about yourself and once Phorm has their cookie on your PC they can change the script rules you wouldn't know and your personal details are already for them to farm out to highest bidder. You wouldn't even know they had gathered this information since you had already accepted that they could gather info they just moved the goal posts a little.

good example is how your ISPs change tearms and conditions to suit them at any time or like how VM (or NTL at the time) added in the FUP policy all without prior knowledge the same can and will happen with phorm since he has patented it to do more than he is telling people this is the start once started it wil be hard to turn back and our freedom will be gone.
Closed Thread