Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Frozen Onions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Frozen Onions

Old 14-10-2018, 16:31   #16
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Frozen Onions

They recommend refrigeration for bacon. Although the pack is sealed and has either carbon dioxide or nitrogen inside to replace the air and prevent spoiling I'd still refrigerate.

Once you open the pack it's best frozen at that time. Wrap the rashers individually in cling film to prevent them sticking together. Then you can take rashers out as needed.

Decent dry cure bacon doesn't produce the white muck but it costs more.
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2018, 16:32   #17
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm sure I can remember a time when all that white stuff didn't come out.

Does this mean that it doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened?

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

I might experiment with putting some eggs in the fridge next to some cheese deliberately then as this could be beneficial in some situations.

I keep fruit at room temperature too, including tomatoes. Interesting that you spell tomatoes the same way as me Maggy, I recently looked into this and found that those who spell them as 'tomatos' are also correct!
Then all teachers will be using red ink to correct them as would I. As to eggs try the french way and to keep a truffle with the eggs..
Old 14-10-2018, 19:15   #18
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Vacuum packed and frozen, I still use them after 3 years.
This raises 2 questions for me;

1) How infrequently do you use onions to have some in a freezer for 3+years?

or

2) How many onions did you buy at the same time to require you to freeze them at all?

It has never occurred to me to freeze onions. Nor have I found myself in a position where freezing onions was a necessary option. You can buy them one at a time or in packs of 3 or more. Why are you lot freezing onions?!?!?
Old 14-10-2018, 19:43   #19
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I buy 25kg sacks as required, plus I grow other varieties (red and Spanish).

I make up BIR (British Indian Restaurant) base gravy for homemade curries, usually about twenty 500g packs per session.

Plus I make bases for French Onion soup that I freeze in batches too. And Italian style sauces for pizza and pasta.

And I also dehydrate onions for flake or powder.

Some packs slowly sink to the bottom of our chest freezer, only to be found when I do a total defrost once a year or so.

We like onions in this home.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 21:37   #20
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I buy 25kg sacks as required, plus I grow other varieties (red and Spanish).

I make up BIR (British Indian Restaurant) base gravy for homemade curries, usually about twenty 500g packs per session.

Plus I make bases for French Onion soup that I freeze in batches too. And Italian style sauces for pizza and pasta.

And I also dehydrate onions for flake or powder.

Some packs slowly sink to the bottom of our chest freezer, only to be found when I do a total defrost once a year or so.

We like onions in this home.
and yet somehow, you still have too many onions, it would seem... How long have you been buying / growing too many onions? My guess is at least 3 years!
Old 15-10-2018, 01:47   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
This raises 2 questions for me;

1) How infrequently do you use onions to have some in a freezer for 3+years?

or

2) How many onions did you buy at the same time to require you to freeze them at all?

It has never occurred to me to freeze onions. Nor have I found myself in a position where freezing onions was a necessary option. You can buy them one at a time or in packs of 3 or more. Why are you lot freezing onions?!?!?

I bought mine ready chopped and frozen.

---------- Post added at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Then all teachers will be using red ink to correct them as would I. As to eggs try the french way and to keep a truffle with the eggs..
Thanks i'll try that

I checked again on another site and it concurs with yourself, tomatos is incorrect. I assume the same thing applies to potato(e)s.

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
They recommend refrigeration for bacon. Although the pack is sealed and has either carbon dioxide or nitrogen inside to replace the air and prevent spoiling I'd still refrigerate.

Once you open the pack it's best frozen at that time. Wrap the rashers individually in cling film to prevent them sticking together. Then you can take rashers out as needed.

Decent dry cure bacon doesn't produce the white muck but it costs more.
Do you know if the white muck that comes out is unhealthy in any way? I could have sworn that this didn't come out years ago when cooking it, but maybe my memory is failing me.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:49   #22
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I bought mine ready chopped and frozen.

---------- Post added at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

Thanks i'll try that

I checked again on another site and it concurs with yourself, tomatos is incorrect. I assume the same thing applies to potato(e)s.

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Do you know if the white muck that comes out is unhealthy in any way? I could have sworn that this didn't come out years ago when cooking it, but maybe my memory is failing me.
It's due to the very bad habit of injecting water into the product..Legal but not appreciated.
Old 15-10-2018, 18:11   #23
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
and yet somehow, you still have too many onions, it would seem... How long have you been buying / growing too many onions? My guess is at least 3 years!
Many more years than that.

Onions have seasonal prices, so I also grab them when they are cheap. Most store very well, but peeling, chopping and freezing some saves a bit of time for some recipes.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote