Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrade from 5 to 13 static IP addresses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upgrade from 5 to 13 static IP addresses

Old 04-10-2018, 13:42   #1
crowarth
cf.member

Services: Voom Fibre Option 3, 13 static IP addresses
crowarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to crowarth
Upgrade from 5 to 13 static IP addresses

Hello internet!

Just a general question.... I've got an upgrade from 5 to 13 static IP addresses booked in for tomorrow. I know from looking at the Hitron unit that it's just a username and password for the GRE tunnel, but does anyone know why they'd need an engineer visit?

I have got the credentials for the GRE tunnel from VMB (the new details for the 13 static IP's) and I've even tried to update them on the Hitron unit myself, but unsurprisingly they do not work. I guess that the visit is just a quality assurance thing, and that perhaps the engineers "enable" the new IP's before configuring the unit. There's also been mention of them needing to replace the Hitron unit to make the upgrade possible.

In any case, it appears I cannot use the new details yet until the engineers visit and "flick the switch" remotely.
crowarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2018, 15:47   #2
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice
Re: Upgrade from 5 to 13 static IP addresses

No help in regards to the question whatsoever - But why on earth would anyone need 13! IPs? (genuinely curious...)

If port forwarding is used correctly, there's never much need, to my knowledge...

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 15:59   #3
crowarth
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
No help in regards to the question whatsoever - But why on earth would anyone need 13! IPs? (genuinely curious...)

If port forwarding is used correctly, there's never much need, to my knowledge...

Tom
I'm using all 5 of my currently assigned addresses - I use them to segregate different services. Got a web server running off one, a PBX for my house on another, an SFTP server on another, some other bits on the last few (including my firewall for my home network)

I could use port forwarding, but for some of these things I like to have them exposed fully to the internet without running them on seemingly random ports. Plus not having to fiddle around with NAT is good (for the PBX at least).

Having all those things behind their own firewalls and separated from my home network is what I need.

I could easily get by with just a single dynamic IP, but owing largely to my job, having this fancy setup works a treat.
Old 04-10-2018, 16:13   #4
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowarth View Post
I could easily get by with just a single dynamic IP, but owing largely to my job, having this fancy setup works a treat.
Duly noted, always interesting to know

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 16:41   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Why do you run a web server (and other servers) from home as opposed to just using VPS's ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 17:03   #6
crowarth
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Why do you run a web server (and other servers) from home as opposed to just using VPS's ?
I used to, but I prefer the level of control/access that hosting it myself provides. I'm also not limited by any restrictions on the platform the VPS would be living on such as disk space, CPU, RAM. The only limits are whatever I set based on the hardware I use. Bandwidth isn't an issue either - the 350 down / 20 up is sufficient.

I'm also not hosting anything for anyone other than myself (bar one small community website), so I don't have any SLA's to worry about, or things like power cuts, downtime on the connection, etc.... As I mentioned earlier, my job is one of the biggest reasons I have the setup I do. I work as a network engineer for a large health company with 7 sites spread across the EU, so having all this is basically like having a lab for me to experiment in and test stuff.
Old 04-10-2018, 22:10   #7
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Hello internet!

Just a general question.... I've got an upgrade from 5 to 13 static IP addresses booked in for tomorrow. I know from looking at the Hitron unit that it's just a username and password for the GRE tunnel, but does anyone know why they'd need an engineer visit?

I have got the credentials for the GRE tunnel from VMB (the new details for the 13 static IP's) and I've even tried to update them on the Hitron unit myself, but unsurprisingly they do not work. I guess that the visit is just a quality assurance thing, and that perhaps the engineers "enable" the new IP's before configuring the unit. There's also been mention of them needing to replace the Hitron unit to make the upgrade possible.

In any case, it appears I cannot use the new details yet until the engineers visit and "flick the switch" remotely.

Technically you can do it yourself with no issues. But your public IP range will change completely - as they will allocate blocks for the 5 & 13 address blocks from different pools. And while you can reconfigure that yourself, they always seem to want an engineer to do it to avoid any issues.

Your GRE tunnels credentials shoudln't change just the IP allocation that you get via that tunnel. They shoudln't need to replace the Hitron as the same device works for 13, 5, 1 or even Dynamic addressing.

The other thought is that they might do this with a service cease and re-provide and swap the unit as part of that, but again no real need. VMB would need to update your static IP config on their end before the new IP range will work, so again this coudl be a reason for an engineer visit -to co-ordinate both changes together.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 21:33   #8
crowarth
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Technically you can do it yourself with no issues. But your public IP range will change completely - as they will allocate blocks for the 5 & 13 address blocks from different pools. And while you can reconfigure that yourself, they always seem to want an engineer to do it to avoid any issues.

Your GRE tunnels credentials shoudln't change just the IP allocation that you get via that tunnel. They shoudln't need to replace the Hitron as the same device works for 13, 5, 1 or even Dynamic addressing.

The other thought is that they might do this with a service cease and re-provide and swap the unit as part of that, but again no real need. VMB would need to update your static IP config on their end before the new IP range will work, so again this coudl be a reason for an engineer visit -to co-ordinate both changes together.
So they've been and done the work today. They replaced the Hitron unit, and the GRE credentials were different (already knew that though). So looks like a service cease and re-provide as you suggested.

They also no longer take the old equipment away as the engineer said to me that they'd been told not to take the old unit away and to leave it with the customer. Same for the residential modems (although he did tell me he only did the business installs). So now I have an old Hitron modem that I was told to dispose of. Might take it apart and see what's in it. The one they replaced it with was slightly different in that it had 4 ports for the VOIP/telephony service, with my current one only having 2. No big deal as I don't use that anyway.

No issues with the visit and service works as it did before, albeit with a different and larger (13 instead of 5) block of IP's. Few hours re configuring kit with the new IP ranges, and all is well.
Old 05-10-2018, 22:19   #9
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Interestign they swapped the Hitron for this. Is it still a CGNV4?
Is the firmware the same? I have: 4.5.10.173-UPC and hardware version 1A
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 18:43   #10
crowarth
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Interestign they swapped the Hitron for this. Is it still a CGNV4?
Is the firmware the same? I have: 4.5.10.173-UPC and hardware version 1A
CGNV4-FX4

Hardware Version 2D
Software Version 4.5.10.173-UPC

So far no issues. Connection is solid
Old 10-10-2018, 08:22   #11
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

There will be a whole raft of VMB users on this forum who might be keen to know whether they are worse off with a HW version 1A than a 2D!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:47   #12
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
I'm using all 5 of my currently assigned addresses - I use them to segregate different services. Got a web server running off one, a PBX for my house on another, an SFTP server on another, some other bits on the last few (including my firewall for my home network)

I could use port forwarding, but for some of these things I like to have them exposed fully to the internet without running them on seemingly random ports. Plus not having to fiddle around with NAT is good (for the PBX at least).

Having all those things behind their own firewalls and separated from my home network is what I need.

VM not complying with RIPE guidelines there accepting that as a valid reason for the IP allocation

Generally speaking you can run a sftp server on the same ip as a webserver, they dont use the same port.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote