Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Update

Old 28-01-2007, 20:05   #1
Wod
Inactive

Services: XL-TV,20MEG,XL-PHONE
Wod is on a distinguished roadWod is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Wod
Update

This is more of an update then anything, but me and my friend live on the same street both of us using the WRTGS router with NTL. Know both of us disconnect randomly. But when i dont use the wireless router the connection is fine (just the modem to pc via ethernet). I am going to ask my friend to direct connect to the modem and log his uptime like me.
Thanks
I am thinking about joining sky 8mb. My friend is on the 16mb and both come with a free wireless router, would anyone recommend?
Wod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2007, 10:31   #2
ben1390
cf.addict

ben1390 is on a distinguished roadben1390 is on a distinguished road
Re: Update

are you both using the same wireless channel?
ben1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 16:46   #3
Wod
Inactive

Im not sure but i am out of signal range anyway?? , we are both using default setup apart from security.
Old 29-01-2007, 18:04   #4
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Wireless signals are prone to all sorts of problems. Not least of which these days is overcrowding. There are currently 8 wireless LANs within range of our router . Given there's only 3 unique ranges in the spectrum that's going to cause problems.

When you talk about random disconnects are you talking about the wireless connection (which should reconnect immediately) or the internet connection itself?

Pretty much every wireless router is going to suffer the same sorts of problems as you're seeing to be honest. Wireless is convenient, but if you want a rock solid connection that's not going to bounce you still can't beat cables.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 18:09   #5
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wod View Post
I am thinking about joining sky 8mb. My friend is on the 16mb and both come with a free wireless router, would anyone recommend?
It's not ntls fault that your router is disconnecting so why swith to Sky? Your more likely to get a less stable connection with Sky.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and it hardly ever disconnects. What channel is it set on? I have mine on 11.

In case you didn't know, go to http://192.168.1.1 to access your router.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 20:51   #6
Wod
Inactive

Yeh i know, i just set it to 1, 11 being the default. My friend is on sky and has more wireless routers around his area, he doesnt disconnect as often as me. The internet i guess, if both the computer and laptop are on msn they both die and re-connect and i dont get the notification saying connected to in my case "..::::wod::::..".If i was disconnecting from the router id get that notification saying connected, right?
Old 30-01-2007, 10:08   #7
EssDee
cf.addict

Services: VIP120 with TiVo
EssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really nice

Have you tried a 3rd party firmware, like DD-WRT? It eliminated dropouts on my WRT54G v5, amongst other things.
EssDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 15:50   #8
Wod
Inactive

No i havnt :S Dont even know what that is lol. Router model is WRT54GS V5.1 can i get firmware for that?
Cheers
Old 30-01-2007, 16:10   #9
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

Yes you can get firmware for upto V6, I did mine at the weekend and it is much better.

Just google it, pretty simple to do, just follow the instructions.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 17:35   #10
Wod
Inactive

Which do you recommend?

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Anybody?

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Ok people i have installed dd-wrt Thanks
Old 30-01-2007, 23:20   #11
EssDee
cf.addict

Services: VIP120 with TiVo
EssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really nice

Any improvement?
EssDee is offline   Reply With Quote