Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anyone else experiencing slow internet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Newsgroup File Problems

Old 21-01-2012, 12:53   #1
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute
Newsgroup File Problems

For over a week now I have had a problem with binary files downloaded from Newsgroups at news.virginmedia.com.

I am using Grabit and have for years successfully downloaded binaries until about 7-10 days ago. Now although the files appear to download correctly in terms of amount of data downloaded the files in the folders are prematurely truncated at a few hundred KB. This is occurring on 2 different PCs with different OS's and different versions of Grabit. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are RAR archives, zipped files, etc., same problem is occurring.

Anyone know what's going on?
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2012, 17:31   #2
Xtinguish
Inactive

Services: 100 meg Super Hub2 4TB HD
Xtinguish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Newsgroup File Problems

Fine here using Newsbin.
Xtinguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 17:52   #3
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Fine for me too, i'm using Grabit as well. Have you tried reinstalling Grabit or checking all your settings are correct?
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 21:06   #4
dave6x
Inactive

dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys, at least that confirms it's not a VM issue.

I've not tried reinstalling since it was happening on 2 different PCs, one is Win7 HP laptop running Grabit 1.7.2 Beta 6, the other is a Vista Business desktop PC running Grabit 1.7.2 Beta 3 therefore I'd assumed it may be something outside my systems. Grabit settings and preferences have not been changed on either PC.

I'll try re-installing and see what happens!

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

I think I discovered the problem, it seems that my Avast antivirus is causing the file truncation! Disabling Avast shields permits the files to download to the folder correctly, now I just need to sort out the Avast settings!
Old 21-01-2012, 21:19   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

On Avast click MAIL SHIELD, EXPERT OPTIONS and untick SCAN NEWSGROUP MESSAGES, that may not be related to your problem but i had to do that to get a much smoother download experience.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 21:33   #6
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
On Avast click MAIL SHIELD, EXPERT OPTIONS and untick SCAN NEWSGROUP MESSAGES, that may not be related to your problem but i had to do that to get a much smoother download experience.
Hey SnoopZ thanks for that, it works a treat.

I did read about turning off NNTP scanning in the Avast Forums however they were saying that problem was fixed in the 1.7.xx versions but maybe a recent Avast update has changed the scanning parameters.

What I find strange is that I've been using Grabit with Avast since I changed to Avast for over 3 years and never had this problem before.
Old 21-01-2012, 21:42   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

You're welcome.

I had the choppy download problem on Newsgroups ever since i installed the latest Avast when it first came out a year or so ago.

Hope you get your problem sorted, test by downloading the same files and if the same files are always corrupt then the problem is the files and not your end.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 10:06   #8
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You're welcome.

I had the choppy download problem on Newsgroups ever since i installed the latest Avast when it first came out a year or so ago.

Hope you get your problem sorted, test by downloading the same files and if the same files are always corrupt then the problem is the files and not your end.
Both PCs running Grabit fine now, files downloading OK.

Must have been due to a recent Avast update as both PCs were affected at the same time, rather surprised I can't find any other reports of the same problem as surely I can't have been the only one affected!

Thanks again.