Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:17   #8191
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Oh no no you don’t, you implied it wasn’t valid due to the age of the article either post the evidence to support it or agree you have nothing substantive on which to base your claims

Stop trying to twist on 21
I have no interest. Your historic posting style appears to revel in discourse and antagonism, I don't come on here for that.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2019, 07:50   #8192
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I have no interest. Your historic posting style appears to revel in discourse and antagonism, I don't come on here for that.
Ah so you have no evidence to counteract, you could have just said would have been much easier !!
Old 07-03-2019, 09:31   #8193
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

'Evidence' haha

Seems to me that evidence on here . . by both sides of the argument . . often comes down to a link to a (biased? ) social media/Blog site , a polling site (skewed, not big enough sample), random articles thrown out in gay abandon by the media, articles by Professors and Experts (in the field of furthering their career), excerpts from Political (sometimes 'leaked' ) documents (who trusts politicians? ) and press releases by large (foreign owned) companies making threats and demands.

Many of the above contain the words could, may, might, possibly, potentially etc etc . . . which (to me) is the equivalent meaning of that well known phrase 'up to'

We're all being led a merry dance, nobody is right, nobody is wrong, the only 'evidence' we can trust is that which we see and hear ourselves . . which is in itself classed as 'hearsay' and inadmissible as evidence anyway

Every argument has a counter argument, we believe what we want to believe, and the real truth often hides in the silent void of the unspoken.

. . carry on while I pour another
Old 07-03-2019, 09:37   #8194
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Here's your options.
https://flipchartfairytales.wordpres...carousel-11459

Before anyone says no-deal

The Venezuela Option – Quitting with no deal would leave us with a similar relationship to the EU as that of Venezuela. Apart from those countries not under some sort of EU sanctions, it is the only country that has no trading agreements with the EU. Having severed its relationships with the Andean Community and Mercosur, it also has acrimonious relationships with its near neighbours. As a proxy for a No Deal Brexit, then, Venezuela is as close as you can get.
But when we talk about a 'no deal' we are referring to the withdrawal agreement. Nobody has suggested we shouldn't have a trade agreement with the EU.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:29   #8195
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
'Evidence' haha

Seems to me that evidence on here . . by both sides of the argument . . often comes down to a link to a (biased? ) social media/Blog site , a polling site (skewed, not big enough sample), random articles thrown out in gay abandon by the media, articles by Professors and Experts (in the field of furthering their career), excerpts from Political (sometimes 'leaked' ) documents (who trusts politicians? ) and press releases by large (foreign owned) companies making threats and demands.

Many of the above contain the words could, may, might, possibly, potentially etc etc . . . which (to me) is the equivalent meaning of that well known phrase 'up to'

We're all being led a merry dance, nobody is right, nobody is wrong, the only 'evidence' we can trust is that which we see and hear ourselves . . which is in itself classed as 'hearsay' and inadmissible as evidence anyway

Every argument has a counter argument, we believe what we want to believe, and the real truth often hides in the silent void of the unspoken.

. . carry on while I pour another
Have you got a link to that
Old 07-03-2019, 10:43   #8196
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Ah so you have no evidence to counteract, you could have just said would have been much easier !!
Haven't looked.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:41   #8197
Cable Forum

Cable Forum has reached the bronze age
Cable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze ageCable Forum has reached the bronze age

Civil discussion and debate please - Stop bickering.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:46   #8198
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But when we talk about a 'no deal' we are referring to the withdrawal agreement. Nobody has suggested we shouldn't have a trade agreement with the EU.
Well, trade deals take ages to sort out even when countries are on good terms so even best case scenario would see us with no trade deal with the EU for some time.
But Parliament won't allow no deal so fortunately theoretical.

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Have you got a link to that
You misspelt drink.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:03   #8199
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Well, trade deals take ages to sort out even when countries are on good terms so even best case scenario would see us with no trade deal with the EU for some time.
But Parliament won't allow no deal so fortunately theoretical.

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

You misspelt drink.
Old 07-03-2019, 13:27   #8200
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Mentioned earlier in this thread, but reminder for anyone who has less than six months to expiry on their current passport, or carried over some months from their previous passport (in my case, I renewed my passport in May 2009*, but the expiry date was September 2019 because of the previous passport's expiry date of September 2009); the expiry date on your current passport will be 10 years after the issue date.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-mi...snt-sf-twitter
Quote:
Millions of UK holidaymakers have been warned they need to renew their passports by tomorrow or face being barred from entering several European countries under a no-deal Brexit.

Up to 3.5 million people risk falling foul of rules for entering countries in the Schengen zone, such as France, Spain and Italy, according to consumer group Which?.

The rules state that visitors from non-EU countries must have at least six months left on their passport before its expiry date on the day of travel.

Until recently, UK citizens who renewed their passport before it expired could have up to nine months of the remaining validity added to their new travel document.

The government has warned that this time carried over will not count towards the six-month requirement if the UK leaves the European Union without a deal.

This would mean some people with up to 15 months left on their passport could be denied entry to many popular destinations on the continent, as they would lose any time carried over from their previous passport.

Which? noted that Friday will be three weeks before the UK is due to leave the EU on 29 March, which is the time it takes for passports to arrive after a standard renewal application.
*I needed to have more than six months left on my passport to travel to India in 2009
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 07-03-2019, 13:36   #8201
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If we leave with "No Deal" there is no trade agreement. We revert to trading on WTO terms.

We can begin to broker a trade agreement with the EU at that point.
Old 07-03-2019, 14:11   #8202
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Mentioned earlier in this thread, but reminder for anyone who has less than six months to expiry on their current passport, or carried over some months from their previous passport (in my case, I renewed my passport in May 2009*, but the expiry date was September 2019 because of the previous passport's expiry date of September 2009); the expiry date on your current passport will be 10 years after the issue date.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-mi...snt-sf-twitter

*I needed to have more than six months left on my passport to travel to India in 2009
Worth also mentioning this is only if we leave with No Deal on the 29/3, which seems very unlikely atm. (bit of an over complicated article, all they need say is that your passport must be valid for 6 month and not older than 10 years)

For anyone in any doubt there is a Govt. passport checker at:- https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport...e-after-brexit

I'll be leaving on a Jet plane on 28/3, so I'll be Remaining in the EU whatever Question is, whether I'll come back.....
Old 07-03-2019, 14:26   #8203
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Worth also mentioning this is only if we leave with No Deal on the 29/3, which seems very unlikely atm. (bit of an over complicated article, all they need say is that your passport must be valid for 6 month and not older than 10 years)

For anyone in any doubt there is a Govt. passport checker at:- https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport...e-after-brexit

I'll be leaving on a Jet plane on 28/3, so I'll be Remaining in the EU whatever Question is, whether I'll come back.....

Not to worry, if we leave with no deal they'll chuck you out.
Old 07-03-2019, 16:02   #8204
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

Thanks for the clarification - I should have mentioned that point.

I’m acting on the side of caution, as I think it’s likely there will be a no-deal, as the ERG/DUP’s views on the backstop differ drastically from the EU’s, so I am avoiding the rush (if no-deal goes thru), so I applied online today and sent my passport by Special Delivery to the Passport Office - when we did my wife’s passport last year, it was back within a week.

Worst case scenario (after a no-deal Brexit) is I lose 5 months of passport duration - no biggie...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 07-03-2019, 17:09   #8205
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Question Re: Brexit

Tbh I don't see how no deal would happen. The Govt don't want it (despite what they may say), the EU don't want it and a majority in Parliament won't allow it. I suspect another delay/fudge and resulting damage to our economy. Wouldn't surprise if the old girl tries to avoid next week's vote again.
Closed Thread