Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Funding of the BBC

Old 17-02-2019, 18:24   #181
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The BBC is indeed stuck in the past but if they were on a subscription model, they would die - unless they can compete with the likes of Amazon & Netflix which they can’t because they would also have to fund the PBS side of things like the News, QT, etc and would thus be uncompetitive.
Totally disagree with you. Why can't the BBC compete with all other TV channels? All the other commercial channels manage alright. If the BBC is so good then people will flock to sub to then. On the other hand if they are as crap as I believe they are they will sink without trace! I can count on one hand how many programs I watch.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2019, 18:31   #182
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Totally disagree with you. Why can't the BBC compete with all other TV channels? All the other commercial channels manage alright. If the BBC is so good then people will flock to sub to then. On the other hand if they are as crap as I believe they are they will sink without trace! I can count on one hand how many programs I watch.
ITV, Channel 4 and Five don’t take subscriptions. Why should the BBC?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:10   #183
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
ITV, Channel 4 and Five don’t take subscriptions. Why should the BBC?
No reason why they should IF they think they can survive on adverts only!
Old 17-02-2019, 19:16   #184
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

In the beginning advertising space could be sold at a premium on BBC.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:18   #185
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

ITV would be near destroyed if the BBC took adverts....
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 20:20   #186
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
ITV would be near destroyed if the BBC took adverts....
I don't know where you get that from! Advertisers will want to be on both channels equally.
Old 17-02-2019, 20:34   #187
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
I don't know where you get that from! Advertisers will want to be on both channels equally.
If you want to advertise to the kind of ratings ITV get there’s one place to go. Another supplier entering the market (BBC) drives down the price of advertising.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 21:18   #188
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If you want to advertise to the kind of ratings ITV get there’s one place to go. Another supplier entering the market (BBC) drives down the price of advertising.
An (alleged} prestigious channel can cater for prestigious companies at a premium.

IIRC many years ago when there were only 4 channels and it was muted the BBC could advertise for its revenue the answer was "There isn't enough advertising revenue". Now look at the amount of channels and the advertising revenue is still there.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:36   #189
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
An (alleged} prestigious channel can cater for prestigious companies at a premium.

IIRC many years ago when there were only 4 channels and it was muted the BBC could advertise for its revenue the answer was "There isn't enough advertising revenue". Now look at the amount of channels and the advertising revenue is still there.
I wouldn't object to limited advertising on the BBC, as long as it was between programmes (rather than interrupting them) and as long as there was an advertisement free subscription streaming service with a free option containing ads.

Nothing much to object to there, in my book.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:50   #190
telegramsam
telegramsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I wouldn't object to limited advertising on the BBC, as long as it was between programmes (rather than interrupting them) and as long as there was an advertisement free subscription streaming service with a free option containing ads.

Nothing much to object to there, in my book.
Agree with you 100%. The BBC channels on free view and freesat could contain adverts and be provided subscription free whilst on Sky, BT and Virgin they could be advert free but come at a cost. Not sure how they'd work it mind but I'm sure there must be clever technology out there to be able to make it happen.
Old 18-02-2019, 10:43   #191
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Advertisers don't want to spend more so if the BBC took ads it just spreads the ad money even thinner. So programme makers would need to be even more sure of success (ad money) before they could make programmes.

The license fee covers more than just the TV channels though, all those radio stations, how do you keep ad's off FM?
Old 18-02-2019, 10:52   #192
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from tweetiepooh:

The license fee covers more than just the TV channels though, all those radio stations, how do you keep ad's off FM?
Close most of them down. Waste of good bandwidth. Merge R1 and R2 with ads. Publically fund R4.
Old 18-02-2019, 11:09   #193
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Close most of them down. Waste of good bandwidth. Merge R1 and R2 with ads. Publically fund R4.
1 and 2 are far too distinct to merge effectively. They could certainly afford to lose 1-Extra, run commercials on 1 and 6, bid for 4 to become some kind of state-funded special case, and cross-subsidise 2 with revenue from its commericalised TV operations, effectively using radio 2 commercial space as advertising for BBC TV. They should sell 3 to classic FM who in my humble opinion do a better, more accessible job of it anyway.

Any local stations that want to stay open would have to go commercial. In reality most of them would close. A few such as Radio Merseyside have a genuine following and would probably survive.

The BBC’s TV operations are based on a mass audience strategy and there’s no way they’re ever going behind a paywall. Absent a licence fee, they’ll go free-to-air with advertising, and will probably merge Four back into BBC2, which did a perfectly good job of that sort of arts output before Four was launched anyway.

I don’t think public funding of TV is ever going to go away completely. The day may well come when the TV licence is terminated, but it will be replaced by something else which, I believe, is likely to fund a central pot which all broadcasters could bid for a slice of in order to fund public service programming.
Old 18-02-2019, 11:11   #194
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Only having HD on BBC2 Wales, I set a serial link on it for Top Gear. But the snooker overran (what a shock!) so I decided to watch Top Gear on the iPlayer.

Up popped a message telling me to sign on online to get a 5 digit PIN. Not wanting to boot my PC just for that, I took the option to call the 0800 number for the PIN ("valid until the end of the day").

Am I the only one that can forsee access to iPlayer being via an payable 0870 number at some point, or by a payable online link? And then similar for all BBC TV content?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 11:16   #195
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

The iPlayer is part of the BBC’s chartered public service broadcasting operations so they can’t charge for it, support it with adverts, or even give the impression that they’re doing so.

The BBC took a policy decision some years ago to stop using premium rate numbers wherever possible and these days you almost always find them using geographic rate 03 numbers or free 0800 numbers.