Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Routers with 2.5Gbps LAN

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Routers with 2.5Gbps LAN

Old 12-01-2024, 17:28   #1
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Routers with 2.5Gbps LAN

I know VM is currently 1.2Gpbs max - but is anyone here using a non-VM router with VM which provides a single 2.5Gpbs LAN port?

I know most routers only provide LAN ports which are 1Gbps max - and some routers will offer the full VM download if use aggregate the ports.

I also know the Hub5 has a 2.5Gpbs port - but looking to get the max download from VM put using my own router with a single 2.5Gbps network connection.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2024, 19:49   #2
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Routers with 2.5Gbps LAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I know VM is currently 1.2Gpbs max - but is anyone here using a non-VM router with VM which provides a single 2.5Gpbs LAN port?

I know most routers only provide LAN ports which are 1Gbps max - and some routers will offer the full VM download if use aggregate the ports.

I also know the Hub5 has a 2.5Gpbs port - but looking to get the max download from VM put using my own router with a single 2.5Gbps network connection.
I have an GT-AX11000 with a 2.5Gb ethernet port, I'm on a 1Gb connection, having moved from Virgin.

Now that some City Fibre ISPs are offering up to 2.5GB, at least I have a router that will dish out that speed if I choose. However, this would only be for the purpose of sharing that bandwidth across the household. To do that I would need to purchase a switch capable of managing that bandwidth between the three Cat5e cables that cascade to the rest of our house, up to 1Gb each.

There is no point me trying to deliver 2.3Gb to any one device. This would require me to strip out all our network and replace with at least Cat6 cable and switches and network cards that can manage more than 1Gb. I have no need to go down that route.

Last edited by roughbeast; 12-01-2024 at 19:54.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 05:27   #3
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Thanks - I have a 2.5Gpbs Network card which gives 1.16Gpbs when plugged into the Sh5 using Cat6 cable. But it is then off my own network where it is only 940Mpbs (only!).
Old 13-01-2024, 14:33   #4
2pence
cf.member

Services: Gig1 Fibre Broadband
2pence is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Thanks - I have a 2.5Gpbs Network card which gives 1.16Gpbs when plugged into the Sh5 using Cat6 cable. But it is then off my own network where it is only 940Mpbs (only!).
I have similar setup going into my perma-on Lenovo Legion 5 laptop using a Belkin 2.5gbit USB adapter (had to use Realtek drivers to fix speed-drop issues). Rest of home runs off WIFI via Asus RT-AX86S.
Old 18-01-2024, 15:26   #5
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I have an GT-AX11000 with a 2.5Gb ethernet port, I'm on a 1Gb connection, having moved from Virgin.

Now that some City Fibre ISPs are offering up to 2.5GB, at least I have a router that will dish out that speed if I choose. However, this would only be for the purpose of sharing that bandwidth across the household. To do that I would need to purchase a switch capable of managing that bandwidth between the three Cat5e cables that cascade to the rest of our house, up to 1Gb each.

There is no point me trying to deliver 2.3Gb to any one device. This would require me to strip out all our network and replace with at least Cat6 cable and switches and network cards that can manage more than 1Gb. I have no need to go down that route.
2.5Gbit is designed to run over Cat5e cable so at least you could use your current cabling.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 23:12   #6
demoulous
cf.member

demoulous is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an Asus GT-AX6000 router with two 2.5G ports (wan/lan). One connected to the SH5 and the other to a Netgear GS110EMX (two multigig ports up to 10G in speed) to which the rest of my setup is connected. This lets me get the most from the connection and is reasonably future proof for when there is a Gig2 product in my area.
demoulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 16:01   #7
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Thank you all
Old 19-01-2024, 16:53   #8
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon60 View Post
2.5Gbit is designed to run over Cat5e cable so at least you could use your current cabling.
That's good to know. Are you sure? All the guides I read, max it out at 1000 Mbps.

EDIT. Ah! I found this. https://infinity-cable-products.com/...at5e-max-speed

Question: If, "With the inclusion of the IEEE 802.3bz standard you can even get more performance with your existing Cat5e cables.", would that standard be provided as part of your BB connection or would it have to be a feature of the ISP or one's own router?

Last edited by roughbeast; 19-01-2024 at 17:16.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 20:07   #9
Edward27
cf.member

Edward27 is on a distinguished roadEdward27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
That's good to know. Are you sure? All the guides I read, max it out at 1000 Mbps.

EDIT. Ah! I found this. https://infinity-cable-products.com/...at5e-max-speed

Question: If, "With the inclusion of the IEEE 802.3bz standard you can even get more performance with your existing Cat5e cables.", would that standard be provided as part of your BB connection or would it have to be a feature of the ISP or one's own router?
The IEEE 802.3bz standard primarily involves your networking equipment (router, etc.) and connected devices. To benefit, both ends of your connection need to support it. Your internet service doesn't directly provide this; it's more about your local network setup.
Edward27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 16:17   #10
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age

I have a router with one 2.5gb port that is wan/lan, this is the max I got on wifi:

And the max wired was this:

The wired connection was straight to the modem from an iMac.

Im upgrading my internet to 1.6gbs in march so will also be upgrading my router to a 10gb wan, 10gb lan and 4 2.5gb lan ports soon after.

Regards

John
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_7289.PNG (216.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Image 28-02-2024 at 16.13.jpg (75.8 KB, 90 views)
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 15:16   #11
pythagoras
cf.addict

Got my new router set up now this is how its connected to the network with 2.5g and 10g ports:

having to use a thunderbolt to 2.5gbe adaptor to get full speed on my iMac but pleased with this:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 15.15.11.png (1.46 MB, 50 views)
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 21:32   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Images removed from posts as they were way too big.
Please reduce them in size if you want to display them in posts.

Edit: Also removed first attachment as requested.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 22:44   #13
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Lol @ the upload speed
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote