Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Network discovery on PCs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Network discovery on PCs

Old 20-02-2009, 20:40   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Wireless Network discovery on PCs

Both my Acer Laptop and Samsung Netbook have Wi-Fi.

Today day at work when I turned on the Samsung it said that there was a network detected (unsecure) it is not a company one but one that apparently can infect PCs (according to our IT department).

Is there a way to block this from accidently being connected to?

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Obviously no router is available for me to legally access.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2009, 21:10   #2
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: Wireless Network discovery on PCs

just don't connect to it.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

either that or switch off the wireless device, but I'm guessing you need that on for work...??
Old 20-02-2009, 21:14   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Its my own personal Computer, I cannot connect it to their network, nor would I want to.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2009, 21:58   #4
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

I wouldn't worry too much. you need to connect to the network. the network will not connect to you. just make sure you have a half decent S/W firewall in place.
Old 20-02-2009, 22:08   #5
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. you need to connect to the network. the network will not connect to you. just make sure you have a half decent S/W firewall in place.
Yip i agree a detected network by your own pc has to be connected to by you. Just don't connect to it and you will be fine.
Pedro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 01:04   #6
Pedro1
Inactive

Pedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nicePedro1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Its my own personal Computer, I cannot connect it to their network, nor would I want to.
cool connect only to systems you know are cool and are discovered by you..

if they discover you then forget it lol lol....
Pedro1 is offline   Reply With Quote