Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 29-02-2020, 11:42   #7306
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Definitely not. Looks like this is going to be a big loss maker for BBC and ITV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47389420

"ITV has said it will spend £25m on BritBox this year and £40m in 2020. The BBC has not given any comparable figures"

They're not going to break even based on the subscription numbers reported in the Mail. ITV won't ride this donkey for long. I give Britbox 24 months maximum
l think it will last less then that as l remember l and others made a prediction a fair while back and were laughed out of town and l know my predictions personally are nearly as bad as our most revered poster on here but he is strictly premier league when it comes to predictions.
Old 29-02-2020, 11:46   #7307
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Britbox struggling to retain subscribers[/url]
and that proves the point I have been making all along, you can look at this as a trial for expanded demand of the service if the license fee is abolished as I am hoping it will be within the next few years and this shows that nobody is interested in paying for substandard tv. Make the BBC stand on their own two feet like everyone else has to and they will no longer be able to hide behind "we do the best we can because we are advert free". You'll see a massive shift as they try to produce tv series which people actually want to watch and match the quality of their rivals. This service is charging more than Disney+ is and does it match up to Lucasfilm, Disney, Pixar, Marvel and National Geographic? NO! The said thing is that now they have got a clear picture that nobody is interested in paying when given the option, you are going to see a massive effort on their part now to do everything they can to keep the license fee going.
Old 29-02-2020, 16:59   #7308
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Britbox struggling to retain subscribers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...ree-trial.html
I can’t say I’m very surprised - they’re trying to be an online video library, about 10 years after Netflix first realised that the model was unsustainable and that in the long run only new, exclusive content would justify the subscription. BBC and ITV are broadcast free to air into our homes. Everything they have made that I’ve wanted to see, for the most part I’ve already seen. That which I haven’t, I’m not sufficiently bothered about to pay for. Even the BBC stuff that is on Netflix, I hardly bother with. There’s plenty of new content there.
Old 29-02-2020, 17:22   #7309
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I can’t say I’m very surprised - they’re trying to be an online video library, about 10 years after Netflix first realised that the model was unsustainable and that in the long run only new, exclusive content would justify the subscription. BBC and ITV are broadcast free to air into our homes. Everything they have made that I’ve wanted to see, for the most part I’ve already seen. That which I haven’t, I’m not sufficiently bothered about to pay for. Even the BBC stuff that is on Netflix, I hardly bother with. There’s plenty of new content there.
As the price point is similar to the streamers coming on line who are offering new content along with their libraries of films and boxed sets it's a no brainer why Brit Box is struggling to retain subscribers after the free trial. What are they offering to keep subscribers?

This is what OB has been going on about for the past few years. BBC and ITV have to make their mind up. Stay FTA or go online and stream. No halfway house of doing both.
Old 29-02-2020, 17:59   #7310
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

To be fair, OB has been predicting the end of linear broadcast TV, with all the monotony of the bloke in sandwich boards outside the market, not the dangers of trying to have a foot in both camps.

It’s absolutely true though, you can’t expect people to pay the same for a library of things they’ve already seen for free as they pay for a library of new content. The only way Britbox can work is if it gets as much new content as Netflix gets. It can’t do that unless ITV decides to bankroll it - under its current charter its unlikely that the BBC would be allowed to do this even via BBC Worldwide, its commercial operation.
Old 29-02-2020, 19:53   #7311
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
To be fair, OB has been predicting the end of linear broadcast TV, with all the monotony of the bloke in sandwich boards outside the market, not the dangers of trying to have a foot in both camps.

It’s absolutely true though, you can’t expect people to pay the same for a library of things they’ve already seen for free as they pay for a library of new content. The only way Britbox can work is if it gets as much new content as Netflix gets. It can’t do that unless ITV decides to bankroll it - under its current charter its unlikely that the BBC would be allowed to do this even via BBC Worldwide, its commercial operation.
Actually, I have. We are at the beginning of a transitional period, and as long as the linear channels remain, this will reduce the incentive of people to shift over to OTT.

Incidentally, the reason I don my sandwich boards is to respond to the ridiculous and persistent protestations, without supporting links, that the linear channels will carry on forever. This is patently not true and I make no apology for setting the record straight on this.

On your second paragraph, we agree.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...vertising.html

Last edited by OLD BOY; 29-02-2020 at 20:02.
Old 29-02-2020, 20:16   #7312
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Actually, I have. We are at the beginning of a transitional period, and as long as the linear channels remain, this will reduce the incentive of people to shift over to OTT.

Incidentally, the reason I don my sandwich boards is to respond to the ridiculous and persistent protestations, without supporting links, that the linear channels will carry on forever. This is patently not true and I make no apology for setting the record straight on this.

On your second paragraph, we agree.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...vertising.html

Bang on, OB....
Old 29-02-2020, 20:44   #7313
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Setting the record straight ... roffle.

There is no record. There are predictions, generally made by those with an interest in seeing it happen.

But we digress.
Old 29-02-2020, 21:25   #7314
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

ITV have a history of failed ventures which have only been half baked and ultimately failed.

ITV Digital (ONdigital)
ITV Sports Channel
ITV News Channel

To name but a few

Britbox was started too early with a smaller catalogue of content and limited device availability with no proper testing before releasing apps FireTV is/was full of bugs and sign in issues.

First impressions and all that.

For the same price Disney+ will wipe the board with content as well as superior picture and sound quality from launch.

As previous folk have said it’s original content that drives people to the streamers not recycled rubbish from years ago.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:30   #7315
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
ITV have a history of failed ventures which have only been half baked and ultimately failed.

ITV Digital (ONdigital)
ITV Sports Channel
ITV News Channel

To name but a few

Britbox was started too early with a smaller catalogue of content and limited device availability with no proper testing before releasing apps FireTV is/was full of bugs and sign in issues.

For the same price Disney+ will wipe the board with content as well as superior picture and sound quality from launch.

As previous folk have said it’s original content that drives people to the streamers not recycled rubbish from years ago.
Deluded and ignorant thinking Disney will wipe the board with content on Disney+ no they will not Disney+ is aimed at family viewing that's it, Disney+ will not even have half the ammount of content Netflix has.
Also Disney+ had a lot of issues when it launched in the USA.
You're in for a very big disappointment when Disney+ launches in uk.
As for Britbox it have fail written all over it from day one everyone and his cat could see that.
For the record i've been beta testing Disney+ and it aint all that.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:58   #7316
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Deluded and ignorant thinking Disney will wipe the board with content on Disney+ no they will not Disney+ is aimed at family viewing that's it, Disney+ will not even have half the ammount of content Netflix has.
Also Disney+ had a lot of issues when it launched in the USA.
You're in for a very big disappointment when Disney+ launches in uk.
As for Britbox it have fail written all over it from day one everyone and his cat could see that.
For the record i've been beta testing Disney+ and it aint all that.
I don’t know how you can say it’s ignorant and deluded when you agree that Britbox will fail, I was comparing the advance marketing etc.

I probably won’t subscribe to Disney+ personally as it’s not for me but the difference is they are throwing everything at it with exclusives from the offset. I’m glad to hear they are testing, we never heard much about Britbox beta testing and their apps certainly weren’t tested for long.

I’m quite sure Disney+ in its testing format won’t have many if any of their upcoming exclusives on board yet.

Britbox is full of stuff that has been recycled for years and is available elsewhere on the likes of Netflix and Prime who have a vast array of exclusives or even on ad supported platforms for free.

Last edited by ScottishSteve; 01-03-2020 at 10:04.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:28   #7317
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

They did say there would eventually be shows commissioned exclusively for BritBox. It's risky launching the UK version without a few ready though, because once the perception of the service is that it's only old shows, it will be difficult to shift no matter how much you market it otherwise. Though Netflix managed it, despite still being full of old stuff.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:50   #7318
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I don’t know how you can say it’s ignorant and deluded when you agree that Britbox will fail, I was comparing the advance marketing etc.

I probably won’t subscribe to Disney+ personally as it’s not for me but the difference is they are throwing everything at it with exclusives from the offset. I’m glad to hear they are testing, we never heard much about Britbox beta testing and their apps certainly weren’t tested for long.

I’m quite sure Disney+ in its testing format won’t have many if any of their upcoming exclusives on board yet.

Britbox is full of stuff that has been recycled for years and is available elsewhere on the likes of Netflix and Prime who have a vast array of exclusives or even on ad supported platforms for free.
Maybe i mis-understood your post if so i apologise, it came across as you was saying Disney+ will wipe the floor with everyone.
I would recommend taking up he trial just for the mandarian though but imo that is all that was worth watching on Disney+
It will be very interesting in a years time though when SKYs deal expires with Disney.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:57   #7319
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Maybe i mis-understood your post if so i apologise, it came across as you was saying Disney+ will wipe the floor with everyone.
I would recommend taking up he trial just for the mandarian though but imo that is all that was worth watching on Disney+
It will be very interesting in a years time though when SKYs deal expires with Disney.
Absolutely they are going in full pelt and with the might of Disney they have one hell of an advertising budget.

Britbox on the other hand is like opening a pub doing nothing except opening the door and hope some punters come in.

They might stay for one or two but probably move on to the next one if there is nothing much happening.
Old 01-03-2020, 14:34   #7320
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:

ITV Digital (ONdigital)
ITV Sports Channel
ITV News Channel

To name but a few

Add ITV Encore and ITV Box Office to the list. ITV always seem to jump on the bandwagon late, waste their money for a couple of years then lose interest.
Closed Thread