Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Government intends to bring in Voter ID law.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Government intends to bring in Voter ID law.

Old 16-10-2019, 11:11   #61
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Government intends to bring in Voter ID law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I have no issue with the idea of having an ID card..
Ditto, I carried my military ID everywhere for well over a decade, and it "opened doors" that would otherwise would have been shut to me.

But I do not want to pay for a civilian ID, and would be wary of what private company was given the contract to issue them and maintain the databases.

Our daughter, almost 28 years old, looks a lot younger so gets denied access to clubs, pubs and other venues. Plus she often gets refused the right to buy alcohol or tobacco. She can't have a (£43) provisional licence due to her disabilities, has no need (yet) of a (£85) passport, has her (£15) Citizen Card ignored, and her French ID card leaves people bewildered.

With all the hoops she had go jump through to open a bank account, I would have thought it easy to just put her photo on her bank card.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2019, 11:16   #62
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
But I do not want to pay for a civilian ID, and would be wary of what private company was given the contract to issue them and maintain the databases.
Good point about he database issues, it's getting hard to know just who to trust
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 13:36   #63
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Trust is a big issue. When El Gov were thinking about a national ID card there was going to be all sorts of data and databases attached to it including medical records and bio-metrics.

Then there was the list of those who would have access to all that data and it was just about every man and his dog in government employ.

The temptation to capitalise that data would be too tempting for most governments.

I'm sure that a voter ID card would be subject to "mission creep" as more parts of government would be wanting to use it for checking other forms of entitlement such as benefits and NHS treatment.