Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why am I limited to 200mb speed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Riddle me this - no upload?

Old 14-05-2020, 01:00   #1
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Riddle me this - no upload?

Posted over on the VM forums to try and get an engineer out to take a hammer to a cabinet, but what do people think of this:

I've been having intermittent connection drops. When this happens and I'm using Skype for business other people see my video drop out and can't hear me, but I can still see and hear them fine until it reconnects. It's almost as if I can only receive packets during the drops.

It's a really odd phenomenon.

Requisite BQM for those who like seeing red:
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2020, 09:27   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Riddle me this - no upload?

have you booted your modem already Skie and done a speedtest as no upload is a bit odd.

Also yes with SfB that is correct as the video and audio that you are hosting as such is needing your upload speed, the input is the download speed.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 12:39   #3
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Speed is fine 380/37 and of course reboots have been done :p

Had another skype call just now and it dropped me out but I was still seeing/hearing everyone clear as a bell until I reconnected. Skype reported server issues but web browsing on other devices acts as if I have no connection (obviously, as it can't even send a request to the web page)
Old 14-05-2020, 12:44   #4
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Don't use Skype so just guessing here . .

if the incoming still works, but the outgoing drops out, maybe there's a setting somewhere that is the culprit?

May not be Skype settings, could be firewall or AV . . even a connection limit?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 14:31   #5
Skie
a giant headend

It's not a Skype (for business) problem (the BQM in the first post shows that), it's just how it is handling the issue that is...confusing. Or at least helping me narrow the problem down.

I'm assuming that Skype broadcasts audio/video with unicast or multicast, which is the only thing that makes sense here. Upstream power levels jump during a disconnect, so traditional stuff just wont work because tcp is expecting 2 way communication, but Skype just merrily sends data to me until told to stop or it fails a few timeouts.

It's fun! Even more fun is going to be getting VM to fix it, as it's so intermittent.
Old 14-05-2020, 17:26   #6
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

have you had this for a while now or something bit more recent?
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 21:26   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I had similar to this for a long period. It was found to be an upstream feed suffering from noise. It took Networks a while to find where it was coming from. In the meantime I had all the usual waffle from the Helpdesk.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 22:54   #8
Skie
a giant headend

Been going on for a fair while now, but deffo getting worse over time.

Thanks Taf, does sound feasible.
Old 16-05-2020, 11:59   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The upstream problem was indicated by the SHUB network log. The same set of errors kept repeating.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 20:40   #10
Skie
a giant headend

Had an engineer out on Sat, found earth leakage on the cable somewhere and replaced the cable outside and a batch of Telewest era splitters for good measure. Has been stable since, though had a T3 in the early hours and correctable RS errors are still there in the low hundreds.

God knows I've been involved in enough networking incidents where you end up finding a string of small problems and not one obvious smoking gun, so I'm not calling it fixed just yet.