Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2020, 13:50   #3571
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

It's the Sun, It's China...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/117379..._source=pushly
Old 29-05-2020, 15:25   #3572
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Great they were able to trace the main source.
Quote:
Coronavirus: South Korea closes schools again after biggest spike in weeks
More than 200 schools in South Korea have been forced to close just days after they re-opened, due to a new spike in virus cases.

Thousands of students had earlier on Wednesday returned to school as the country began easing virus restrictions.

But just a day later, 79 new cases were recorded, the highest daily figure in two months.

Most of these cases have been linked to a distribution centre outside Seoul.

The warehouse, in the city of Bucheon, is run by the country's biggest e-commerce firm Coupang, and officials have said the facility was not strictly complying with infection control measures. Health officials even discovered traces of Covid-19 on workers' shoes and clothes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52845015
Old 29-05-2020, 17:03   #3573
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Great they were able to trace the main source.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52845015
I wonder if the Korean media are crucifying their government over this obvious failure in policy.
Old 29-05-2020, 17:16   #3574
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I wonder if the Korean media are crucifying their government over this obvious failure in policy.
South Korea's huge success in controlling the virus probably gives the Government leeway. Even this is somewhat a success given how quickly they've managed to track down the new cause of infection and shut it down.
Old 29-05-2020, 17:43   #3575
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Exactly, that’s perverse logic demonstrated by Pierre here in a veiled attempt to defend our Government all costs. That’s the system working.

Failure is what we have. As demonstrated by the death count and economic impact. The success of the South Korean system will allow its economy to thrive while we stagnate falling over bodies. Literally and figuratively.

They consider 79 new cases a credible threat. We consider 400 deaths a day success.
Old 29-05-2020, 18:04   #3576
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

It's encouraging that other countries are not seeing spikes. France and Germany opened up and so far, so good for the most part.

I think we need to leave lockdown soon because people simply cannot tolerate it for too much longer. I am concerned that we're still quite high for cases and deaths. France had fewer cases and deaths by the time they opened up, we're starting to fall behind in terms of 'weeks' as well. I.E If we were 'two weeks behind Italy' our deaths should be a lot lower be now.
Old 29-05-2020, 18:11   #3577
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Exactly, that’s perverse logic demonstrated by Pierre here in a veiled attempt to defend our Government all costs. That’s the system working.
I have to admit, that's spot on on how I see this forum as a whole.
Old 29-05-2020, 18:17   #3578
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Well, it’s apparent that some users lack objectivity. Regardless of the issue, regardless of the death count, this is the Government that will be forgiven for anything as it delivered Brexit.

I’ve asked the question multiple times what some would describe as failure in managing Coronavirus to no answer, and simply had insults thrown at me for daring to opine that the Government has managed this badly.
Old 29-05-2020, 18:22   #3579
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's encouraging that other countries are not seeing spikes. France and Germany opened up and so far, so good for the most part.

I think we need to leave lockdown soon because people simply cannot tolerate it for too much longer. I am concerned that we're still quite high for cases and deaths. France had fewer cases and deaths by the time they opened up, we're starting to fall behind in terms of 'weeks' as well. I.E If we were 'two weeks behind Italy' our deaths should be a lot lower be now.
Agreed. Worryingly, the track and trace doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders.
Quote:
Fiona, not her real name, is a semi-retired GP nurse from Yorkshire and is now working as a tier two contact tracer. She was one of a number of tracers who told Sky News there were problems logging on during the launch day.
Fiona was hit by more problems trying to log on at 8am on Thursday morning, with an error message saying she was unable to connect to the site.
Once she had logged in, she found she had no cases assigned to her.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...y-two-11996729

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Quote:
Well, it’s apparent that some users lack objectivity. Regardless of the issue, regardless of the death count, this is the Government that will be forgiven for anything as it delivered Brexit.

I’ve asked the question multiple times what some would describe as failure in managing Coronavirus to no answer, and simply had insults thrown at me for daring to opine that the Government has managed this badly.
In terms of the Government's handling, it's a mixed bag but the results suggest I'm being generous. In terms of what's worked, the initial messaging was great. The furlow scheme and other support packages have worked well.
But in terms of dithering for three weeks before lockdown, PPE, care homes and Cummingsgate, no.
Old 29-05-2020, 18:41   #3580
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

The economic response has been very good to be fair
Old 29-05-2020, 18:45   #3581
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Indeed it has but l do worry in a few months when the Furlough scheme gets wound up.
Old 29-05-2020, 19:02   #3582
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
There is plenty of balance in this forum, Mr K & Jfman are equal to 10x me
Old 29-05-2020, 19:53   #3583
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

It is indeed a mystery why there are those who will forgive almost anything and, as you point out, ignore what is objective criticism and instruct you to "move on, nothing to see here". I feel it is the point that there actually is something to "see here" that is the reason why we have to move on

How can people be content with the highest per capita death rate in the world and not ask if the decision making process that underwrote these deaths is still the correct one?

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Quote:
I agree with this point. However, the support is starting to wind down now and when the Government starts to address how the massive Covid borrowing is to be serviced, the real fun will begin.

Who pays and how they pay will be the crux of the matter ..

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Quote:
I am not sure maths is your strong point
Old 29-05-2020, 20:02   #3584
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
No need to talk yourself down, Pierre. It can't be good waking up every morning and sticking on the news to see what you've to go in and bat for on a given day.

I've at least got solid material to work with on a daily basis.
Old 29-05-2020, 20:03   #3585
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I agree with this point. However, the support is starting to wind down now and when the Government starts to address how the massive Covid borrowing is to be serviced, the real fun will begin.

Who pays and how they pay will be the crux of the matter ..
Tax rises and getting rid of the triple lock are two suggestions by some.

Last edited by denphone; 29-05-2020 at 20:18.
Closed Thread