Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 13:54   #13546
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7545766.stm
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2008, 14:03   #13547
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

yes maybe so but cannot see the dpi kit been used on phones to serve you ads while you chat with other people as that would be very very naughty, but they do have the power to break in a call if the need arisies which is different but no adverts.
Old 09-08-2008, 14:07   #13548
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
Hi all,
got this reply from VirginMedia today regarding DPA notice. Mr. Woodham makes a couple of points I thought you should see.

Phil

http://www.phillyn.pwp.blueyonder.co.../virgindpa.jpg
That's much better than the rubbish I got when I served mine on them. The response I got was similar to a general complaint.

I am sitting on mine waiting to see if they do move backwards and take up Phorm/webwise. If they do and I am alerted in any way that I possibly have to do something (when I already have), the 'fan will have some sticky muck on on it'.

I will be leaving VM but not before I do a little bit of legal retribution.
Old 09-08-2008, 14:08   #13549
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Hi all,
got this reply from VirginMedia today regarding DPA notice. Mr. Woodham makes a couple of points I thought you should see.

Phil

Not sure I agree with his belief that he is not a "Data Controller" in the terms of the DPA;
“data controller” means, subject to subsection (4), a person who (either alone or jointly or in common with other persons) determines the purposes for which and the manner in which any personal data are, or are to be, processed
... but he can call himself whatever he likes.
Old 09-08-2008, 14:31   #13550
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hi all,

Phil

I always feel that it is worrying, whenever DPA is mentioned, no one seems to see beyond the direct marketing packages offered which needs your name and address data to send to you.

Since adware was first invented, 'no personal information' has been the selling point.

The DPA needs to be improved. There is no way whereby anonymous data should be able to be used to send me direct marketing which is based on 'something' which I have done.

If the marketing response is personalised, the underlying data used MUST be personal and not anonymous, even if the elements making up that data have not been explicitly mentioned by the DPA as personal data.

I recall reading a document on the ICO site which suggested that this type of amendment needed to be made.

The problem is that even if tracking cookies like the UID are classed as personal data under the DPA, all the business using the data has to do is register with the ICO and use the data as per their registration and privacy policy and no one is any better off.

About as efficient as eTrust certifying some of the sites that have been certified - it has reached the stage now that when I see an eTrust certificate, I avoid the site like the plague. Rather like the spammers success in promoting the latest anti-spamming legislation.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
I did wonder if the person who posted that analysis might have been a trial victim, who got confused by the injection of Javascript code into his pages (which in itself demonstrates what a stupid idea modifying anyones private communications is, for the telco not just the recipient).

But that post I linked to dates from April 2006, supposedly well before the BT trials in Q3/Q4 2006.
If you look at the thread on badphorm when people were searching for the remains of the 2006/7 trials, early 2006 did show some traces. And, once they started to identify the ISP in the javascript, there were a few different ISPs indicated. Would it have been as few as the 10 ISPs mentioned in the 121Media report? - now, why does it only appear to have been BT that did not run a mile after the trials? Perhaps the rest got tired of waiting and joined up with Adzilla, NebuAd, Barefruit and FrontPorch, etc.
Old 09-08-2008, 15:17   #13551
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
I've been asked for an English explanation of that post, happy to oblige.

My interpretation is this;

The poster seems to have received spam concerning various 'controversial' topics.

When he followed links in the spam, he was taken to a site called 4everdns.com.

On the pages of 4everdns.com he found Javascript from sysip.net embedded in the pages. The script was grabbing IP addresses from visitors.

When he followed the name server details for sysip.net, he found 121 Media were responsible.

121 Media is the previous trading name of Phorm.

So to conclude...

Either
- the 'controversial' spam messages/host sites may have been linked to 121 Media
or
- there was possibly a trial of PageSense running in April 2006

Pete
archive.orgs cache of netboy0002.l202.4everdns.com/ shows a "60 second mortgage quote page".

http://web.archive.org/web/200605072....4everdns.com/

Perhaps the poster recieved various spam promoting services hosted on 4everdns.com, googled for 4everdns.com and found a post in the planet forums spamming the above link that also contained a sysip.net javascript - ie the spammer the poster refers to was a "participant" in one of the pagesence trials.

EDIT: Hmm, re-reading that post I realised he mentions seeing sysip.net in the page source, so the poster was probably the victim of a pagesence trial.
Old 09-08-2008, 16:02   #13552
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
archive.orgs cache of netboy0002.l202.4everdns.com/ shows a "60 second mortgage quote page".

http://web.archive.org/web/200605072....4everdns.com/

Perhaps the poster recieved various spam promoting services hosted on 4everdns.com, googled for 4everdns.com and found a post in the planet forums spamming the above link that also contained a sysip.net javascript - ie the spammer the poster refers to was a "participant" in one of the pagesence trials.
The thing that looks most likely to me from reading early 2006 posts on this in various forums is that there was indeed trialling going on before the dates we have seen that BT admitted to. The early 2006 posts seem to be describing the same phenomenon of browser hijack - redirection.

So was this another secret trial with BT or with another ISP?
In the UK or another country?

Some of the forums discussing this have the starting date of posts noticing browser hijack, well back in 2006 before June.

The leaked BT report refers to a trial between 23rd September and 6th October. So what are people doing seeing this exact phenomenon prior to those dates - in April and May the same year?

I've made an attempt to contact the poster of the above and find out who his ISP were at that time.

snip - incorrect date reference.

Phorm PR care to comment?
In the interests of transparency and openness and as part of the online privacy revolution?
Old 09-08-2008, 16:07   #13553
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
There is one post here that seems to end in a confirmation that a user suffering dns.sysip.net problems prior to 24th June 2006 was NOT a BT customer. But from the context it seems to have been a UK situation.

Phorm PR care to comment?
In the interests of transparency and openness and as part of the online privacy revolution?
That's 24th June 2007, not 2006. Still not a BT customer though.

Old 09-08-2008, 16:19   #13554
Peter N

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
This one is from May 2006.

Old 09-08-2008, 16:24   #13555
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post

Just maybe what if the trials caught a few other ISP customers just maybe BT retail and BT wholesale are not as far apart as we are lead to believe. With ISPs using managed while others manage their own what if BT retail do the managed side for BT wholesale putting customers for other ISPs into the pot Possibly ( just a thought) Could explain it then again he coudl be a VM customer and this would prove VM did try this on customers around the same time.... Not that I am saying they did just a possibliity...
Old 09-08-2008, 16:52   #13556
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post

It "may" be possible to get the original ISP from the original poster using the contact info, but I'm already signed up with more forums than I can cope with.
Old 09-08-2008, 17:39   #13557
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
Let's face it Pete, as I am sure you are aware, one of the reasons we are so aghast with this whole Phorm - WebWise - BT scenario is how did it it ever get this far? ..............

If there is anything underhand and untoward apart from the obvious illegalities or running the trials without permission, I hope heads will severely roll.
We are finding this stuff,but are we getting it out ? This is not a criticism of anyone here. Cross my heart and hope to die in a cellar full of rats.
Are we getting through that we know that they know, or if they didnt know they should have known and they do now cos we've told them.

Philj
Old 09-08-2008, 17:46   #13558
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

If by 'they' you mean the parties involved, such as Phorm and BT I think they are very aware of what is happening on the anti-DPI side of the camp - a good example of this was the FOI bunff Dephormation Pete ( I think it was) and perhaps several others received; within which was an e-mail from BT suggesting a delay (one of many) in the trials and linked an article on nodpi.org as the reason. The article in question was the one Alexander later partly retracted upon receipt of further information.
Old 09-08-2008, 18:01   #13559
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

You can rest assured the Phorm and BT PR henchmen are reading this forum.
Old 09-08-2008, 18:14   #13560
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Just informational, not sure its significant, 121Media (UK) are listed as a non trading company in any case;

121MEDIA (UK) LIMITED

Accounts are very overdue.

121MEDIA (EUROPE) LIMITED is still listed as active, but again showing accounts overdue.

Previous trading name ADINTELLIGENCE EUROPE LIMITED

From www.companieshouse.gov.uk (Webcheck).
Closed Thread