Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 15:53   #13501
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
webwise.net = domain is "For Sale"
http://whois.domaintools.com/webwise.net
It can't be a very useful domain any more - not after BT let out that blocking this domain would make BT internet services unusable. As BT have promised to fix that little gremlin before everything goes live, some other domain must be being used in its place. With domains being so cheap by the 1,000s and subdomains costing nothing, it could be possible for each phormed request to be 307ed to a different domain. Nah, they wouldn't do that, would they?
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 15:58   #13502
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hey, 60 bucks and OIX.net is yours...
Your offer for oix.net
Domain: oix.net
Your Offer: 60 USD

Please complete the necessary contact details, so that we can fully process your offer
Old 08-08-2008, 15:59   #13503
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
It can't be a very useful domain any more - not after BT let out that blocking this domain would make BT internet services unusable. As BT have promised to fix that little gremlin before everything goes live, some other domain must be being used in its place. With domains being so cheap by the 1,000s and subdomains costing nothing, it could be possible for each phormed request to be 307ed to a different domain. Nah, they wouldn't do that, would they?
A roundrobin would not be out of the question I expect.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Hey, 60 bucks and OIX.net is yours...
Your offer for oix.net
Domain: oix.net
Your Offer: 60 USD

Please complete the necessary contact details, so that we can fully process your offer
Gonna put an AntiPhorm site on it? I would

Alexander Hanff
Old 08-08-2008, 16:04   #13504
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
A roundrobin would not be out of the question I expect.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Gonna put an AntiPhorm site on it? I would

Alexander Hanff
nono use it for adverts for charities all free
Old 08-08-2008, 16:22   #13505
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Sometimes I get a little bored and wonder what will come out of the woodwork if I do a little wandering around.

Did a little search for webwise on the bt site
http://www.bt.com/retailsearch/searc...ieStatus%7E%7E

The second result leads to
http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cf...&p_faqid=10988

bt.custhelp.com is hosted on 81.110.142.41
Quote:
; <<>> DiG 9.3.5-P1 <<>> bt.custhelp.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 9986
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;bt.custhelp.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
bt.custhelp.com. 726 IN A 81.110.142.41

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
custhelp.com. 726 IN NS dnssc02.rightnowtech.com.
custhelp.com. 726 IN NS ednsbz01.rightnowtech.com.
custhelp.com. 726 IN NS dnsnj01.rightnowtech.com.
custhelp.com. 726 IN NS dnssc01.rightnowtech.com.
and a whois on ripe.net gives the following result
[quote]Whois has started ...

[Moderator Edit]

Does anything related to webwise get hosted by BT?

BTW custhelp.com has a US address as per alexa http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:N...m+custhelp.com
I wonder if BT cookies are leaked there too? - it leaks the 2o7.net tracking used on the bt.com site.

[Moderator Edit (Rob M): Copyrighted information removed]
Old 08-08-2008, 17:04   #13506
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
Sometimes I get a little bored and wonder what will come out of the woodwork if I do a little wandering around.

Did a little search for webwise on the bt site
http://www.bt.com/retailsearch/searc...ieStatus%7E%7E

The second result leads to
http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cf...&p_faqid=10988

bt.custhelp.com is hosted on 81.110.142.41

and a whois on ripe.net gives the following result

Does anything related to webwise get hosted by BT?

BTW custhelp.com has a US address as per alexa http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:N...m+custhelp.com
I wonder if BT cookies are leaked there too? - it leaks the 2o7.net tracking used on the bt.com site.
Originally these enquiries were going to Phorm direct via the contact us pages on the BT Webwise site (hosted by Fasthosts - famously devoured by a fire/power outage a few months ago to demonstrate the rock solid security of the system)
They forgot they were supposed to have overseas data processing partners signed up to the Safe Harbour agreement - still waiting for ICO to come back to me on that one....

At the time BT cookies were leaking like a sieve and being passed onto Phorm along with user ID and PII. still waiting for the ICO to come back to me on that one, and that reminds me - BT never replied to my formal Data Protection Act request (plus cheque) for details of which bits of my data got forwarded to Phorm via the Webwise contact us page and the leaky cookies. Must remind them they've broken the law again...

Then BT webwise jumped on a bouncy ball and ran around the world a few times, and now is with custhelp.com their regular customer facing enquiry site. It's more travelled than the Queen Lizze II cruise ship and a lot more leaky.

They have to outsource customer enquiries because everyone in BT has forgotten how to talk to customers. In fact I think they may not even know the meaning of the term - I think we are thought of as suppliers of data, and sources of cash - milch cow is the term I think.

Mostly it's in the UK now but I think there are some backup mirror sites in some strange American locations - wouldn't be surprised to find out that they aren't signed up to Safe Harbor agreement either.

Thanks for reminding me Madslug - time flies so quickly. I find it really difficult keeping on top of my BT law-breaking files. The pile is so high.
Old 08-08-2008, 17:51   #13507
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrick View Post
Well, all... you all remember Ryanair's anger at scraping?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7549547.stm
The topic is Phorm. Please stay on it.
Old 08-08-2008, 18:11   #13508
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
The topic is Phorm. Please stay on it.
Sorry Stuart we will try to keep it more on topic mind it is good inphormation to help the fight against phorm since if Ryanair wins then what phorm will be doing to websites is halfway there to being illegal by a court.
Old 08-08-2008, 18:54   #13509
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Whilst Phorm/Webwise is known almost microscopically here, it is known superficially or not at all by too many other net users. The Downing Street petiition has been signed by over 16,000 people. It may well reach 20,000 or 30,000 or 100,000 or (let's go wild) 300,000. That's still a small dent in 10 million BT/VM/TT customers.

Spreading the word seems more important than dissecting every new bit of information that comes out of BT or wherever. Imho, the smart money would postpone Webwise until opposition is possibly less organised and vociferous. Let the climate cool as it were. The current financial turmoil is making Corporate decisions tough.

Imho, there's a waiting game to be played.
Old 08-08-2008, 19:23   #13510
madslug
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Getting as many on board as possible should guarantee the campaign doesn't run out of steam. Not now, not tomorrow. Never.
I agree. Meanwhile, some of us will soon need to get back to spending more time on work than we do on spreading the word. What ideas do you have to help motivate everyone to keep up the battle?

BTW - I view the hosts file as part of the 'money talks' battle. Stop the ads displaying, stop the tracking scripts, stop the cookies.
Old 08-08-2008, 19:27   #13511
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Given that the Copyright notice for RIPE information specificaly forbid retransmission/storage I have removed it.

For anybody in any doubt, the copyright notice is here:

http://www.ripe.net/db/copyright.html
Old 08-08-2008, 19:37   #13512
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Whilst Phorm/Webwise is known almost microscopically here, it is known superficially or not at all by too many other net users. The Downing Street petiition has been signed by over 16,000 people. It may well reach 20,000 or 30,000 or 100,000 or (let's go wild) 300,000. That's still a small dent in 10 million BT/VM/TT customers.

Spreading the word seems more important than dissecting every new bit of information that comes out of BT or wherever. Imho, the smart money would postpone Webwise until opposition is possibly less organised and vociferous. Let the climate cool as it were. The current financial turmoil is making Corporate decisions tough.

Imho, there's a waiting game to be played.
(updated)

From a web masters PoV, identifying a wide range of technical/legal/commercial countermeasures is critical at this stage.

Because law enforcement and regulation has simply utterly failed to do its job.

You are right. As ever, spreading the word at grass roots level remains critical. The mainstream press are clearly not willing to cover this (though they obviously should).

Phorm must be stopped

Pete
Old 08-08-2008, 19:57   #13513
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
(updated)

From a web masters PoV, identifying a wide range of technical/legal/commercial countermeasures is critical at this stage.

Because law enforcement and regulation has simply utterly failed to do its job.

You are right. As ever, spreading the word at grass roots level remains critical. The mainstream press are clearly not willing to cover this (though they obviously should).

Phorm must be stopped

Pete
I would add to that, Users would be far more willing to Sign the Petition if they realized the Dangers of the Direct Injection techniques being used by ISPs specifically in relation to their Browsers!

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com...324395,00.html
Old 08-08-2008, 20:03   #13514
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Points understood and taken from all. I'm just a little concerned that all those in the know, know everything and those not in the know aren't finding out at least something.
Old 08-08-2008, 20:42   #13515
Dephormation
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Looks like those Sedo listings for OIX.net and Webwise.net really are genuine.

Sedo have a published procedure for confirming ownership of domains listed.

Closed Thread