Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:50   #13486
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Now you can 'opt-out' of googles system of cookie tracking!!

Quote:
Google on Thursday rolled out improvements to its ad network and will add DoubleClick tracking across its sites. Google also made it easy to opt out of its double dose of cookies with one click. The larger question is whether users will choose to go cookie free.
source ... http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9594
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 11:56   #13487
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
deporhmation definition has one to alert people to phorm only problem is they do not have one to make it clear you do not want phorm to intercept yoru website data. Oh well i will write one and post the code here

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Is the depormation site javascript meant to say i have a opt-out cookie?
Pete's tools include redirection to an inphormation page which will be the only page on your site that a Phorm'd visitor can access. It's up to you what REphorming educational aids you put on that page. Here's what someone with phorged cookies pretending to be from my domain, gets on my site.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:57   #13488
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Lightbulb Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
deporhmation definition has one to alert people to phorm only problem is they do not have one to make it clear you do not want phorm to intercept yoru website data. Oh well i will write one and post the code here

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Is the depormation site javascript meant to say i have a opt-out cookie?
Have a good look through the solutions, I'm sure everything you need is there (or at least, enough to get you closer).

First htaccess can be used to block BT customers from your site completely (see Dephormation for a file of Deny directives). Its a blunt instrument, but 100% effective.

Second, the "Javascript Tripwire Test" is intended to detect and reject a visitor with any cookies set (if your site doesn't use cookies), or a visitor with a Phorm UID cookie (if you use cookies, but want to detect Phorm). If a Phormed visitor is detected, you can send them off to Badphorm, or even a Google search for "donkeys".

Third, a trivial piece of PHP ("Server Dephormation") can be used to unwrite or corrupt a Phorm UID, and rewrite an opt out cookie (though Phorm still copy the pages anyway, they just don't deliver ads). The details of the cookies Phorm sets aren't entirely clear yet, but if the code is in place, its simply a matter of a string replacement. [Beware, this may cause users to become alarmed if they find apparent Phorm cookies appearing unexpectedly].

I've got a couple of other contributed solutions to add, hopefully this weekend, that involve other excellent methods of reliable detection. Including counting cookies, and a two cookie test which spots Phorm hiding their UID cookie.

Regards RIPA and Copyright, its not your obligation to make BT legal. Its BT's obligation to rediscover legality, and abide by the law. Put a copyright and RIPA notice on your site.

One other recommended option, if available to you, provide complete content encryption using SSL. This will stop Phorm gaining access to your content, though they may still gain marketing intelligence about your visitors by IP address (though they claim not to).

Pete.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:02   #13489
gnilddif
Inactive

gnilddif is on a distinguished roadgnilddif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Awesome work, Phil. Thanks for your tireless campaigning. We all appreciate it.
Has anyone alerted Private Eye? They would surely relish many of the issues - DPA, RIPA, Privacy, browser redirection, censorship of forum posts..... I'll get in touch. Maybe if many of us did they'd be be more likely to get interested.

gnilddif

Before I do - assuming they haven't yet heard of phorm/Webwise what is the best single link that will attract them that has a basic introduction to all that's bad about it please?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:07   #13490
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnilddif View Post
Has anyone alerted Private Eye? They would surely relish many of the issues - DPA, RIPA, Privacy, browser redirection, censorship of forum posts..... I'll get in touch. Maybe if many of us did they'd be be more likely to get interested.

gnilddif
or Dork Talk in the Guardian Weekend magazine. (Stephen Fry). Guardian readers make good protestors, as they know their way around the system despite jibes about sandals and beards.
Old 08-08-2008, 13:03   #13491
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

gnilddif

Before I do - assuming they haven't yet heard of phorm/Webwise what is the best single link that will attract them that has a basic introduction to all that's bad about it please?
I've e-mailed PE twice. The first time (April 6th) pointing them to inphormationdesk, just telling them they will love it.

The second time I pointed them to NoDPI and the leaked document (June 4th).

It's worth persisting with it, we just need to show the story is good enough to overcome their desire to keep the ad people happy.

@Robert

Stephen Fry would be a good one to get on board (the owner of the 4th Mac in the UK etc).
Old 08-08-2008, 13:03   #13492
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:

gnilddif

I think there are three good links actually - for beginners. I would rather not send them to forum threads straight away - forums are scary for the uninitiated.

The Inphormation desk - a single page with lots of good inphormation
Websie Explained - because it semi-spoofs the real Webwise FAQ
the phorm leaflet/flyer - proven effective in field trials! I've lost my links for that one.

and there is also post 11849 - see my sig for the link!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 13:11   #13493
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

gnlldll,
private eye emailed

Phil
Old 08-08-2008, 14:05   #13494
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
Yes- it's good that they are obviously preparing - with a few NebuAd sites listed, and a "section" ready and waiting for Phorm IPV4 assignment sites to be added. Quite cheered me up that did. Once Phorm and Webwise sites are included then the MVPS hosts file can be included in publicity. I think a lot of people use it - the MVPS designation is well respected.

I know it is "blocking" rather than "preventing" the system, but every little helps, and if the market isn't there, because of things like the MVPS hosts entries, then Phorm's market model collapses even further.
Had a reply from MVPS HOSTS file people, in response to me sending them some urls. Very positive - and yes they are waiting for it to go live. They updated some of the info on various domains I sent them

sysip.net = parked and no longer active
http://whois.domaintools.com/sysip.net

webwise.net = domain is "For Sale"
http://whois.domaintools.com/webwise.net

pagesense.com = parked and no longer active
http://whois.domaintools.com/pagesense.com

oix.net = domain is "For Sale"
http://whois.domaintools.com/oix.net

Now don't get too excited about those For Sale notices. I'm sure they're just selling the ones they don't need...

I think someone should buy sysip.net and give it a small tombstone. It deserves it's place in history. Perhaps Mr Mainwaring could put in a bid?

In fact some of these domains could be purchased and used for all manner of useful inphormation!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 14:16   #13495
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

Well The Olympics has started and I can find no BT press release about the trial.

Ho hum.
Old 08-08-2008, 14:37   #13496
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Just picked this up Courtesy of Badphorm

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=6728
Old 08-08-2008, 15:05   #13497
gnilddif
Inactive

gnilddif is on a distinguished roadgnilddif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
gnlldll,
private eye emailed

Phil
Me too
And I've asked all 130 my facebook Friends to join this group:
http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?r...gid=9216870661

and tell their Friends...that could build a nice pyramid, and we might see more signatures on the petition and more Webwise awareness spreading.

g
Old 08-08-2008, 15:32   #13498
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Had a reply from MVPS HOSTS file people, in response to me sending them some urls. Very positive - and yes they are waiting for it to go live. They updated some of the info on various domains I sent them

sysip.net = parked and no longer active
http://whois.domaintools.com/sysip.net

pagesense.com = parked and no longer active
http://whois.domaintools.com/pagesense.com

oix.net = domain is "For Sale"
http://whois.domaintools.com/oix.net

Now don't get too excited about those For Sale notices. I'm sure they're just selling the ones they don't need...

I think someone should buy sysip.net and give it a small tombstone. It deserves it's place in history. Perhaps Mr Mainwaring could put in a bid?

In fact some of these domains could be purchased and used for all manner of useful inphormation!!!
I think he is going to rebrand, Phorm/WebWise/OIX brands are currently erm can't swear on here so I will just say *beep* so I would not be at all surprised if Kent does what he is best at - rebrand. Or maybe they just can't afford the renewal fees

Alexander Hanff
Old 08-08-2008, 15:45   #13499
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Noooo. Can't explain the reason why just yet, but nooooo!

Just tried to offer $1 on Sedo.... so much for Phorms intangible assets...
Your offer for webwise.net
Please note:
Unfortunately your entry contained errors. Please review the fields marked in red and correct your entry.
# Your offer is too low.
Premium domain names typically sell for three or four-figure amounts, and sellers will simply not respond to a bid if it is too low. If you need help setting a price, you can request an expert Domain Appraisal. You are REQUIRED to enter a bid of at least 60 USD.
$60?

That won't pay off the loans...

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

OK, I can take rejection...
Please note:
Unfortunately your entry contained errors. Please review the fields marked in red and correct your entry.
# Unfortunately your offer was too low and has been rejected!
Please enter an offer that at least meets the minimum price of 850 EUR. The minimum price is 850 EUR, which is currently equivalent to approx. 1,315 USD.
$1,315?

That won't go far.

I wonder if its a hoax
Old 08-08-2008, 15:45   #13500
NewsreadeR
Inactive

NewsreadeR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Just offered them 10$ to buy and then take it out of circulation.

Please note:
# Unfortunately your offer was too low and has been rejected! Please enter an offer that at least meets the minimum price of 850 EUR. The minimum price is 850 EUR, which is currently equivalent to approx. 1,315 USD.
Closed Thread