Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 18:30   #13261
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrick View Post
Nah, I managed to get hold of them today and cancelled. Contract expires on the 9th of September, and they won't be renewing it.

Take care they tell you to dispose of the modem in a eviromentle friendly way then threaten to charge you for it after so keep the modem if thye will not supply an address to sent it to like they didn't for me.
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2008, 18:46   #13262
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

I asked when I spoke to them and they said that they wouldn't be requiring the modem back. It'll join the pile of other VM and NTL modems lying around in the house.. I've got 3 or 4 from previous tenants.
Old 04-08-2008, 20:31   #13263
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Do we have a definite number for the number of people affected or the number of page interceptions which occured during the 2007 covert trials? I need a counterfactual quote to:

"BT can confirm that we conducted a very small scale technical test of a prototype advertising platform on one exchange in June 2007. The test was specifically conducted to evaluate the functional and technical performance of the platform. Absolutely no personally identifiable information was processed, stored or disclosed during this trial. As with all Service Providers, it is important for BT to ensure that, before any potential new technologies are employed, they are robust and fit for purpose."
- Adam Liversage, Chief Press Officer of BT

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...imping_letter/

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...le-ms-aol.html
Old 04-08-2008, 21:30   #13264
Hank

Where do I find your "Tube Leaflet" Phormwatch?

I have a trip to make next week and may be in the general vacinity

Hank

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Alexander - You have a PM

Old 04-08-2008, 21:48   #13265
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Where do I find your "Tube Leaflet" Phormwatch?

I have a trip to make next week and may be in the general vacinity

Hank

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Alexander - You have a PM

http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phor...Phormwatch.pdf

http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phor...Phormwatch.pdf
Old 04-08-2008, 22:05   #13266
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/webwise.php

How long has this been up?
Is it old speel?

Philj
Old 04-08-2008, 22:06   #13267
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Do we have a definite number for the number of people affected or the number of page interceptions which occured during the 2007 covert trials? I need a counterfactual quote to:
<snip>
I know BT have talked about 1-2%. Was that for both trials or only the 2006 trial? 1% = 30-34k of residential or 40-44k of all customers.
Old 04-08-2008, 22:06   #13268
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/webwise.php

How long has this been up?
Is it old speel?

Philj

I think it's been up there since around March, not long after the 'deal' (in whatever form it was) was made between Phorm and the big 3. The page has changed a bit here and there over time though.
Old 04-08-2008, 22:09   #13269
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

Ta,
did nt know about this lark till I read it on here. ba88888s

Phil
Old 04-08-2008, 22:11   #13270
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:

"BT can confirm that we conducted a very small scale technical test of a prototype advertising platform on one exchange in June 2007. The test was specifically conducted to evaluate the functional and technical performance of the platform. Absolutely no personally identifiable information was processed, stored or disclosed during this trial. As with all Service Providers, it is important for BT to ensure that, before any potential new technologies are employed, they are robust and fit for purpose."
- Adam Liversage, Chief Press Officer of BT
One of the Phorm annual reports describing the 2006 trial refers to a forthcoming trial involving several hundred thousand users.

The 2006 report also makes the same statement (believe it mentions 350,000 users).

Earl of Northesk in the interview with Alex mentions he believes it was 160,000 based on information he has.

It was not small scale by any measure, neither was the 2006 trial.
Old 04-08-2008, 22:14   #13271
phormwatch
Inactive

Thanks Pete, but I need a quote and a source.

I read the leaked document, but that only refers specifically to the 2006 trials, whereas the quote pertains to the 2007 trials.
Old 04-08-2008, 22:16   #13272
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
Ta,
did nt know about this lark till I read it on here. ba88888s

Phil
That's the second draft of it. The first draft in April was much more gung ho.

In April they were talking about a partnership with Phorm, and an imminent launch (VM's own website, not Phorm).

So take what they are saying at the moment with a pinch of salt. They are waiting to see how BT's misery pans out.

In the meantime, notes on moving from cable to a Phorm free ISP are here.

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Quote:
Thanks Pete, but I need a quote and a source.

I read the leaked document, but that only refers specifically to the 2006 trials, whereas the quote pertains to the 2007 trials.
Gimme a sec!

Would I leave you unquoted?

Watch this post bwana...

Quote 1)

The Reg article mentioning the hundreds of thousands figure from the annual report. BT's 'illegal' 2007 Phorm trial profiled tens of thousands

Quote 2)

Phorm Annual Report April 24
"In Q4 of 2006, we conducted a live user trial of PageSense with a UK ISP, and we are about to start a larger trial of ProxySense with a test base of several hundred thousand users."
Kent Ertugrul
Chief Executive Officer
23 April 2007

Quote 3)

Wikileaked BT report into the 2006 trial (site currently down?)

"Phase 2 testing will also validate the features and performance of the 121Media Media Planning tool. The test will also run on a much larger userbased (approx 350,000) and statistically useful numbers will provide more information on the commercial model" (page 5/52)

Quote 4)

(same quote as above repeated) (page 42/52)

Quote 5)

"A second phase Pilot deployment will be undertaken with a larger userbase"
(page 5/52) (ie, greater than 18,000 in the first trial)

more coming... or there would be if I could find the EoN transcripts... he corrects Alistair at one point and says words to the effect, "my information is 160,000", I'll see if I can find it in the audio (unless someone can direct me to a transcript).
Old 04-08-2008, 22:17   #13273
phormwatch
Inactive

lol

Perfect! Thanks Pete!
Old 04-08-2008, 22:20   #13274
xlmp
Inactive

Services: A Webwise/Phorm free ISP when BT implements this
xlmp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I have BT as my provider and i am not happy at all with this plan to implement Webwise/webstupid. I have written my MP, the people in the EU, BT and have voiced my opinions on the BT beta forum.

Even though i live in England and have a GB passport i am American at heart as i lived in Santa Cruz, California for the great majority of my life so far. Santa Cruz is by far the most liberal of counties in the union apart from San Fransisco. Not that smoking marijuana has anything to do with Phorm but i helped canvass for prop 215 when it first came out so this will give you an idea of my political stance on ones right to privacy, hopefully.

As it turns out i may have been part of this trial since my father had BT at the time of the trials but BT will not tell us who was and who was not in the trial. Knowing that i could have been spied upon does not make me a happy bunny at all and i am doing all i can to get the word out that BT is making plans to spy on people on a massive scale.

I only have a few more months left with BT and even if they do not get this thing going i am going to leave since they did conduct secret trials on people.

BT sucks and i hope they crash and burn along with their stocks.
Old 04-08-2008, 22:35   #13275
phormwatch
Inactive

Hey ximp! Welcome to the forum.

We share your anger.

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Pete-

Yo! Stop! It's cool, man. The quotes about what they were going to do can't be used, since they've since stated that the trial was in fact much smaller than originally intended. I have used the Register quote. That'll do fine. Thanks!
Closed Thread