Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2008, 02:33   #11911
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
2005 Interim Results

We are making good progress in using the information generated by PageSense Javascript...
We are also close to finalising a partnership agreement with one of the largest ISPs in the US, which we believe will set an important precedent for the deployment of PageSense throughout the ISP market.

what happen to that relationship??? who were they??? why did it not go ahead???

peter
You have about as much chance of finding that out as Kent does of realising his £500 stock options

Alexander Hanff
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2008, 02:39   #11912
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

quote from kent
"I am very pleased with our progress to
date and excited that we are playing such a key role in redefining a new pricing model
for ISPs. 121Media’s progress is the direct result of the recent convergence of significant
pressure on ISP margins,"

does that sound familiar to anyone, that was from http://www.phorm.com/reports/Trading...e_Jan-2006.pdf

peter
Old 17-07-2008, 02:43   #11913
Capt Pugwash
Inactive

Capt Pugwash is an unknown quantity at this point

They seem to have made progress in 4 years from `close to finalising a partnership agreement with one of the largest ISPs in the US', to `Phorm may also be eyeing the U.S. market' on Mar 5, 2008.

Which to me says, can you trust anything they say?
Old 17-07-2008, 03:01   #11914
bluecar1
Inactive

bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

have a look at http://www.investegate.co.uk/Article...419070000PB494

norice the ref to car phone warehouse about halfway down, this is from 2006???

notice same sales pitch and target audience

could have been from the last few months apart from mentions 121media and pagesense

they raised the capital, promised buy in from ISP's but never went live

de ja vue????

peter
Old 17-07-2008, 04:12   #11915
Capt Pugwash
Inactive

Capt Pugwash is an unknown quantity at this point

Notice the line:

Sales and Administrative expenses (6,182,798) (2,063,848)
Old 17-07-2008, 08:09   #11916
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matari View Post
I think the answer is to use the Safari web browser - from the BT Community Forums (http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...180&tstart=0):

BT Webwise works with most major browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape and Opera. Safari is not supported by the BT Webwise system. BT Webwise has been tested and proven to work with the following:

Internet Explorer 5.5, 6.0, 7.0
Firefox 1.0, 1.5, 2.0
Opera 7.54, 8.54, 9.0

It is the first time as a Mac user that I am glad that something is not compatible!

You can get Safari here:

For Mac: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
For PC: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...safari311.html
For the benefit of newcomers: Don't get too hung up about what phorm does or does not do. We have already seen how its claimed behaviour has been tweaked on the fly as more blatant examples of illegal practices have been uncovered. It is clear from the phorm patent application that it can potentially be far more intrusive than currently admitted to. In an injudicious moment they were also caught on the record boasting that 'phorm can see the entire Internet'.

The fact is that BT (or whatever ISP) is streaming a copy of all your browsed data into a 'black box' provided by phorm. No-one is able to audit or verify what goes on inside the box. We are expected to trust that the box will only do what they say. Would you trust a bunch of crooks who previously made their money by tricking people into downloading spyware? Because in its previous incarnation as 121media this is exactly what phorm did. They have now discovered that it is easier for them to bribe ISPs into providing the data instead.

BT Retail has been incredibly naive in going along with this so far, blinded no doubt by the prospect of easy money and maybe some inside help to sweetheart the technology into the company. That's why the only way to avoid the technology would be to move to a guaranteed phorm (or NebuAd ar Frontporch) -free ISP.
Old 17-07-2008, 08:10   #11917
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Check this link
http://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperfor.../Questions.htm
for the AGM questions - due to be published later today. I wonder if they will actually put them up?
Good link to use for publishing the issue as it is on the BT corporate website.
Old 17-07-2008, 08:13   #11918
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matari View Post
I think the answer is to use the Safari web browser - from the BT Community Forums (http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...180&tstart=0):
Jackson beat me too it, but he was right.

Its luck rather than design that means Phorm can't exploit Safari. When that hole is plugged, Safari would become as vulnerable as any other browser. And Phorm aren't likely to warn you.

So, moving ISP is the only way to be certain you avoid Phorm.
Old 17-07-2008, 08:34   #11919
bluecar1
Inactive

pete

well done yesterday, like your style, will be good to see what spin and gloss BT try and put on the questions you asked, you should have taken alex's digi recorder in with you

did you see my finds last night in eu docs?

seems like you may have some more FoI or dpa requests to write shortly

peter
Old 17-07-2008, 08:36   #11920
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

It seems that even the Webwise anti-phishing figleaf is not without risk: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...r_false_alert/
Old 17-07-2008, 09:29   #11921
phpscott
Inactive

phpscott is an unknown quantity at this point

A big thank you to all who where at the protest yesterday.
It is very heart warming and good to know that people out there will stand up for other people’s rights.

Same excuse as most who couldn't attend, work commitments. But that is just an excuse and won't be used in the future. Pencil my name in for the next event.
I have done the correspondences to my MP(Labour, so not much use), and MEP. All I got was the same claptrap and Phorm pr spin that everyone else has received.
A few more letters will be going out once I digest the new information from the EU.

Doing my bit on the sidelines. Trying to keep a low profile so that I might be one of the ‘lucky’ few to be selected to trial the exciting new webwise, so that this group will have access to a connection that is being phormed.

For those of you at the forefront of the fight it is all very much appreciated.
Old 17-07-2008, 09:35   #11922
alt3rn1ty

Well done everyone for the AGM protest, sounds like it went well, Dephormation was certainly a bolt out of the blue. Sorry could not personally attend had a breakdown, was really looking forward to meeting you all, will use public transport next time.
Has anyone heard of any news coverage yet, or any planned late breaking news due to the other issues yesterday taking priority.

Old 17-07-2008, 09:52   #11923
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

It looks like BT are hiding their news again. Anyone have a subscription for Telecom Paper, Netherlands?
http://www.telecom.paper.nl/site/new...ract&id=222900

"BT prepares fresh trials of Phorm targeted online ad system
Telecom Paper (subscription), Netherlands - 31 minutes ago
BT hopes this will allow it to exploit the online ad market. Speaking at the company's AGM, BT Retail head Gavin Patterson said that customers would again ..."

Where are the UK press?
Old 17-07-2008, 09:53   #11924
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

The only piece of news I found about the AGM was on FT.com

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/18e53b76-5...nclick_check=1

No mention of Phorm or the protest though.
Old 17-07-2008, 10:21   #11925
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

The morning after the AGM

Just to repeat last night's welcome to any BT shareholders or staff here for the first time having heard about Phorm/Webwise at the AGM yesterday. I won't repeat last night's post - but if you go here
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34...post11849.html
you will find a user friendly list of weblinks to sites that can tell you a lot more about Phorm/Webwise.
There is also a dedicated thread at the BT Beta forums here
http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...=3152&tstart=0
Closed Thread