Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 19:08   #7006
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I am not confusing anything. I'm afraid you are in denial and your little bubble will burst before long.

It will be interesting to see the content on offer. I might subscribe to this service if there are originals on it and other good dramas that I haven't seen.
I’m unsure how you can describe observable reality as “denial” and my “little bubble”.

You are the one having your vision skewed by confirmation bias. The world you want to see is streaming as thousands of posts demonstrate on this forum.

I’ve tried multiple times to ask why the basic rules of economics don’t apply to streamers. The only way costs come down, after spending £5bn on TV rights, is if Amazon (anyone else) can sell it to substantially more customers. Where are they? This is a basic principle of any service being sold, not just television. Your presumption here is that Sky are bad at understanding price elasticity after 26 years of selling Premiership football as a core part of it’s product, retention offers and through Now TV.

They could attempt to cross subsidise, but this would put them at competitive disadvantage against other retailers in their core market who don’t have to additionally squeeze hundreds of millions of profits out of their sales.
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2019, 20:27   #7007
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

I’m unsure how you can describe observable reality as “denial” and my “little bubble”.

You are the one having your vision skewed by confirmation bias. The world you want to see is streaming as thousands of posts demonstrate on this forum.

I’ve tried multiple times to ask why the basic rules of economics don’t apply to streamers. The only way costs come down, after spending £5bn on TV rights, is if Amazon (anyone else) can sell it to substantially more customers. Where are they? This is a basic principle of any service being sold, not just television. Your presumption here is that Sky are bad at understanding price elasticity after 26 years of selling Premiership football as a core part of it’s product, retention offers and through Now TV.

They could attempt to cross subsidise, but this would put them at competitive disadvantage against other retailers in their core market who don’t have to additionally squeeze hundreds of millions of profits out of their sales.
The reason I said that is the world seems to pass you by and you don't notice. It's like you are frozen in aspic and powerless to move on.

What you have failed to do is justify your assertion that Sky can stump up for the bigger Premiership rights, but Amazon cannot. And the fact that you always seem to take the view that nothing will happen because it hasn't happened yet. These are hardly well thought out arguments, are they?

By the way, I do think that streaming and on demand viewing are the future, but not just because that appeals to me. I am merely observing the way we are going, and it is strange that you cannot seem to grasp that. Do you really think that when everything goes IPTV that our programmes will still be presented the way they are now, through scheduled channels crammed with advertisements?

I don't think so!
Old 11-12-2019, 20:50   #7008
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
The reason I said that is the world seems to pass you by and you don't notice. It's like you are frozen in aspic and powerless to move on.

What you have failed to do is justify your assertion that Sky can stump up for the bigger Premiership rights, but Amazon cannot. And the fact that you always seem to take the view that nothing will happen because it hasn't happened yet. These are hardly well thought out arguments, are they?
You haven’t demonstrated what will change to enable another supplier to enter the market and succeed. Indeed, as I’ve pointed out before, the strategists at Sky correctly predicted a fall in the value of the rights despite the “looming shadow” of Amazon being peddled by the Premier League snake oil salesmen.

The thing is economics, and principles of retailing anything, are largely frozen in time. Streaming is just another mechanism of delivering television - it’s not the revolution you claim it to be and a streamer has to have a viable model just as ITV Digital, Setanta, ESPN and others have tried. Where are the customers?

I have pointed out numerous times that Sky have the customers to be profitable on day 1 of a rights window. Everyone else has to catch up.

Quote:
By the way, I do think that streaming and on demand viewing are the future, but not just because that appeals to me. I am merely observing the way we are going, and it is strange that you cannot seem to grasp that. Do you really think that when everything goes IPTV that our programmes will still be presented the way they are now, through scheduled channels crammed with advertisements?

I don't think so!
And that’s just it - it’s solely your thoughts. No-one has ever had to sit down and watch adverts since PVRs came out. Yet, the observable reality is they do. You see people as simple, straightforward and inclined to do what you prefer. However consumers aren’t a single homogenous group going to wake up tomorrow and decide to stop watching scheduled television.

Last edited by jfman; 11-12-2019 at 20:56.
Old 11-12-2019, 22:16   #7009
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
You haven’t demonstrated what will change to enable another supplier to enter the market and succeed. Indeed, as I’ve pointed out before, the strategists at Sky correctly predicted a fall in the value of the rights despite the “looming shadow” of Amazon being peddled by the Premier League snake oil salesmen.

The thing is economics, and principles of retailing anything, are largely frozen in time. Streaming is just another mechanism of delivering television - it’s not the revolution you claim it to be and a streamer has to have a viable model just as ITV Digital, Setanta, ESPN and others have tried. Where are the customers?

I have pointed out numerous times that Sky have the customers to be profitable on day 1 of a rights window. Everyone else has to catch up.

And that’s just it - it’s solely your thoughts. No-one has ever had to sit down and watch adverts since PVRs came out. Yet, the observable reality is they do. You see people as simple, straightforward and inclined to do what you prefer. However consumers aren’t a single homogenous group going to wake up tomorrow and decide to stop watching scheduled television.

Haven't watched adverts for 20 years, don't see any reason to start now.

Watched the Leeds v Hull game yesterday, just like watching at the ground (with exception I watch what I am shown rather than what I want to see) - no action replays at all, no recording so had to wait 15 minutes for the 2nd half.

Progress - I think not!
Old 11-12-2019, 23:33   #7010
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

What will change is Amazon making a bid. The December trial may just make their minds up.

You have pointed out countless times that we are 'only' talking about a different method of delivery. Nobody is arguing with you on this point. But it will be a completely different experience for those viewers who have never experienced the delights of on demand viewing and streaming. That very change will see off the existing scheduled channels.

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Quote:
Of course it's my thoughts, based on observation. That is no revelation, surely? Just as you have been expressing your thoughts.

Your take on how I think is completely inaccurate, but then I have told you that before as well.

It would be a much better use of our time if we were able to simply observe what is happening and try to work out where all this is going, rather than trying to trip up or psychoanalyse each other. Instead of simply pointing out that we disagree, adding a bit of substance as to why would be more illuminating.
Old 11-12-2019, 23:34   #7011
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
What will change is Amazon making a bid. The December trial may just make their minds up.

You have pointed out countless times that we are 'only' talking about a different method of delivery. Nobody is arguing with you on this point. But it will be a completely different experience for those viewers who have never experienced the delights of on demand viewing and streaming. That very change will see off the existing scheduled channels.
Live sport over IP is still scheduled TV. It really isn't a completely different experience, it's exactly the same, right down to the commercials that run at half time (yes, Amazon played adverts at half time). Streaming live sport is not a delight, at its best (i.e. when you have sufficient bandwidth) it is exactly the same as watching Sky Sports, you sit down in front of your TV before the match starts, select the appropriate channel from the electronic programme guide (or item from the menu) and open a beer.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:47   #7012
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

BT Sport are now offering a stand alone monthly subscription for £25 a month.
Its available on PC, Samsung smart TV's, Apple TV, Xbox One and PS4.
Its quite costly but not so if you factor in you don't need a TV package of BT broadband to get it now.

https://www.bt.com/sport/monthly-pass
Old 13-12-2019, 02:11   #7013
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Live sport over IP is still scheduled TV. It really isn't a completely different experience, it's exactly the same, right down to the commercials that run at half time (yes, Amazon played adverts at half time). Streaming live sport is not a delight, at its best (i.e. when you have sufficient bandwidth) it is exactly the same as watching Sky Sports, you sit down in front of your TV before the match starts, select the appropriate channel from the electronic programme guide (or item from the menu) and open a beer.
I agree with you to an extent, Chris. Indeed, live sport over IP is scheduled tv. But it is a different experience fot the viewer. We will no longer be accessing live tv via conventional scheduled tv channels. The closest example is if you look at the BBC channels. You can watch live tv either via a scheduled tv channel such as BBC 1 or you can watch it via BBC i-Player, and what is more, you can elect to watch that live programme from the beginning if you want to.

I completely understand that your poor broadband reception will colour your experience. I am lucky enough to have lovely broadband speeds via Virgin Media, but once these speeds are rolled out nationwide, things will look a lot different.
Old 13-12-2019, 21:20   #7014
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No it's not, it is nothing like watching Sky Sports - where you can record and start when you want, pause when you want a new beer, get action replays of jokey moments etc etc.

Streaming is a backward step for me, NOT an improvement or even as good.
Old 13-12-2019, 23:36   #7015
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
No it's not, it is nothing like watching Sky Sports - where you can record and start when you want, pause when you want a new beer, get action replays of jokey moments etc etc.

You can record to a cloud dvr with HULU, FUBO, SLING too.
Old 13-12-2019, 23:54   #7016
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
You can record to a cloud dvr with HULU, FUBO, SLING too.
Not much use for us in the UK.
Old 14-12-2019, 00:18   #7017
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not much use for us in the UK.
Lol true but there are ways

I wouldn't be surprised to see dvr recording show up on Nowtv as some content is only available via live channels such as the simpsons.
Old 14-12-2019, 08:47   #7018
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

You can start where you want and pause for a beer, and after the live stream, you can still see it on demand if you want to for a limited period. At least that's how BBC i-Player works - I assume that Amazon is the same.
Old 15-12-2019, 14:06   #7019
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You can start where you want and pause for a beer, and after the live stream, you can still see it on demand if you want to for a limited period. At least that's how BBC i-Player works - I assume that Amazon is the same.
Well that doesn't work for watching Red Button streams on Sky Sports (using V6 box)
Old 15-12-2019, 14:34   #7020
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Well that doesn't work for watching Red Button streams on Sky Sports (using V6 box)
That may be so, Raider, but you can do it on BBC iPlayer streams, so it is perfectly possible. You can test it for yourself right now. Each BBC channel has its own live stream.
Closed Thread