Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 20-06-2013, 18:15   #2071
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
and not sure if ESPN stops on Virgin.
It does, on 31st July!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2013, 19:01   #2072
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1981 View Post
I actually agree with sky on this one, if bt won't let sky sell their channels to subscribers why should sky pet bt sell skysports, this is also why virgin doesnt have bt sport.
But Virgin will have BT Sport. It hasn't started broadcasting yet!

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Sell more what?
Well....channels? Sky could make money out of having a wholesale deal with BT and I don't honestly think that this is in the best interests of the consumer.

Still, since when did that matter to Sky or Ofcom? The whole regulatory system needs turning upside down because it ain't working.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:22   #2073
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

The notion that competition takes place at the time of bidding is ludicrous. It is, in itself, anti-competitive, since it ensures that the company with the deepest pockets wins the day. Worse still, in this instance BT outbid Sky who were then actually given the chance to respond with an even higher bid, and knew that the package they were bidding for came with the control rights! This is where OfCom should be getting involved - the whole thing was cronyism at its worst.

True competition would mean multiple broadcasters being allowed to show the same packages and the consumer being able to choose who they felt did so the best, and for the best price. It's frankly a scandal that you can do this by entering the European market, but not here where the events being televised are actually taking place. This is our national game that has been snatched from us and what's worse is that we've not only allowed it to happen but we're mostly content to pay for the privilege!
Old 20-06-2013, 19:47   #2074
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
This is our national game that has been snatched from us and what's worse is that we've not only allowed it to happen but we're mostly content to pay for the privilege!
This is a good read:

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/?page_id=538

Tells the story of how live top flight football jumped from ITV to SKY back in 1992. In 1988 ITV paid £11 million for the live rights. In 1992 SKY's bid was £304 million.

Would the English Premiership be the league it is today if it wasn't for the SKY money? I firmly believe the English Premiership is the house that SKY built.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:50   #2075
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I think what we should do is this - boycott football on Tv unless its free, and be like those fans did the other day and protest at the costs of shirts.

It cost me and my family in the region of £300/400 to go and see Spurs play (yes we are mad) but l do not see why we should pay extortionate money to go to games and then we pay subs for TV.

We should start a survey on here.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:53   #2076
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I think what we should do is this - boycott football on Tv unless its free, and be like those fans did the other day and protest at the costs of shirts.

It cost me and my family in the region of £300/400 to go and see Spurs play (yes we are mad) but l do not see why we should pay extortionate money to go to games and then we pay subs for TV.

We should start a survey on here.
I am happy paying sky..would like to pay less, but could say that for lots of things (electricity, food)

I like sky's coverage
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:55   #2077
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
True competition would mean multiple broadcasters being allowed to show the same packages and the consumer being able to choose who they felt did so the best, and for the best price. It's frankly a scandal that you can do this by entering the European market, but not here where the events being televised are actually taking place. This is our national game that has been snatched from us and what's worse is that we've not only allowed it to happen but we're mostly content to pay for the privilege!
While I completely agree the current method of selling the rights is a complete shambles , I'm not sure the method you suggest would work. With multiple broadcasters being allowed to bid and show the same packages the amount each broadcaster would be willing to pay would significantly decrease as they could no longer guarantee revenue due to non exclusivity , the lower amounts would play into the hands of the FTA/terrestrial broadcasters giving the pay TV channels an unfair disadvantage whilst great for us the consumer I believe the football leagues would see a significant drop in the amount of money each club receives.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:19   #2078
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
While I completely agree the current method of selling the rights is a complete shambles , I'm not sure the method you suggest would work. With multiple broadcasters being allowed to bid and show the same packages the amount each broadcaster would be willing to pay would significantly decrease as they could no longer guarantee revenue due to non exclusivity , the lower amounts would play into the hands of the FTA/terrestrial broadcasters giving the pay TV channels an unfair disadvantage whilst great for us the consumer I believe the football leagues would see a significant drop in the amount of money each club receives.
They survived before the premier league started. I would be surprised if they were not running more financially successfully too. I certainly do not remember too many clubs going into administration, even in previous recessions.
I doubt it would make much difference either if lower league clubs lost money, players would just have to be paid less than they currently are or choose different professions.
Also the FTA/terrestrial channels have an unfair disadvantage currently, so why not change the rules to make it fairer? (rhetorical question)
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:23   #2079
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
The notion that competition takes place at the time of bidding is ludicrous. It is, in itself, anti-competitive, since it ensures that the company with the deepest pockets wins the day.
Thats always going to be the case. It's a non stop ever-spiralling upwards circle. Higher bids, more money to the clubs, higher wages paid, higher ticket prices and back to square one when the next round of bidding starts.

Simple answer - (I don't think everyone shows everything will work so) Packages EQUALLY split 4 &4 or 3 & 3. No dominance for anyone.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:39   #2080
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
I am happy paying sky..would like to pay less, but could say that for lots of things (electricity, food)

I like sky's coverage
that will never happen Colin as sky will keep bidding more to make sure they win the most packs price will only keep going up and up sadly

yes sky coverage is best by million miles on football
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:43   #2081
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Maybe the Premier League could start their own channel that is available across every pay TV platform. 154 live games per year at say £25.00 per month or £200.00 if you buy a full "season ticket" in advance. Then broadcasters are free to differentiate their coverage from other competitors by offering the likes of HD coverage, games in 3D, multiple commentary options and in game red button options.

For terrestrial TV the Premier League could offer a combined package of match highlights and 12 live games per year. The Premier League could use the free to air games to continually advertise and push their 154 live game per year pay channel.

That way there are free to air and pay TV options. Everyone has access to live Premiership action. The problem is as long as people are happy to subscribe to SKY Sports and BT Sports this will never be an option. It's us the consumers that have the power to drive change.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:54   #2082
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
They survived before the premier league started. I would be surprised if they were not running more financially successfully too. I certainly do not remember too many clubs going into administration, even in previous recessions.
I doubt it would make much difference either if lower league clubs lost money, players would just have to be paid less than they currently are or choose different professions.
Also the FTA/terrestrial channels have an unfair disadvantage currently, so why not change the rules to make it fairer? (rhetorical question)
Very fair point , quite honestly I don't know what the ideal solution is as both the current and the suggested method both have there flaws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Maybe the Premier League could start their own channel that is available across every pay TV platform. 154 live games per year at say £25.00 per month or £200.00 if you buy a full "season ticket" in advance. Then broadcasters are free to differentiate their coverage from other competitors by offering the likes of HD coverage, games in 3D, multiple commentary options and in game red button options.

For terrestrial TV the Premier League could offer a combined package of match highlights and 12 live games per year. The Premier League could use the free to air games to continually advertise and push their 154 live game per year pay channel.

That way there are free to air and pay TV options. Everyone has access to live Premiership action. The problem is as long as people are happy to subscribe to SKY Sports and BT Sports this will never be an option. It's us the consumers that have the power to drive change.
The premier league channel idea was something I mentioned on here a while ago it makes perfect sense , it could also be sold online and via streaming devices. Your idea for terrestrial also makes sense.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 21:59   #2083
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Very fair point , quite honestly I don't know what the ideal solution is as both the current and the suggested method both have there flaws.

The premier league channel idea was something I mentioned on here a while ago it makes perfect sense , it could also be sold online and via streaming devices. Your idea for terrestrial also makes sense.
Can't say I can think of a solution either MM. I think the idea that Chad has written and you suggested previously is the fairest solution, not just for for football fans, but non-football fans too. If Sky did not "have to" pay for the football, Sky Sports would be considerably cheaper and fairer for cricket/golf/darts/tennis etc fans. Having said that, I am sure the ECB or all other governing bodies could do as you suggest. In fact if the ECB did sell its own packages, we could possibly have TMS as the commentary team
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 22:27   #2084
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
This is a good read:

http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/?page_id=538

Tells the story of how live top flight football jumped from ITV to SKY back in 1992. In 1988 ITV paid £11 million for the live rights. In 1992 SKY's bid was £304 million.

Would the English Premiership be the league it is today if it wasn't for the SKY money? I firmly believe the English Premiership is the house that SKY built.
I don't know, but I do know that English football as a whole would be healthier and probably less prone to financial management in pursuit of the money the Premier League (not EPL or English Premier League, thank you very much!) brings. A season where the club that wins the FA Cup, but has to effectively give up on the resulting European place because regaining its Premier League place is more important than anything else, and that is solely because of the money involved, just makes me a bit sad, really.
Old 21-06-2013, 04:38   #2085
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:

Wasn't this idea put about before but the EU would rule this was a cartel arrangement and therefore illegal.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote