Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 20-07-2010, 09:37   #121
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmakerRaw View Post
I didn't see any mention of this on a quick scan of the thread; but many will have noticed that upgrading to DD-WRT turns the router's WAN light orange, and the wifi setup button red.
The lights have been correct on my D2 since build 14594 and possibly the one before, so no need to run any commands. I'm pretty sure they still weren't quite right on the recommended build 14311, but it has been a while since I used this build now and the router's out of sight anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERDOG View Post
Im about to flash a friends router with this firmware. Do i have to flash her router using the FACTORY one first or can i just go straight to the dir615d-revb-ddwrt-webflash one like i did with mine ?
You need to use the factory file first to correctly prepare the router for DD-WRT, but after you've used the factory file once, you don't need to use it again, even if you revert to D-Link software and then back to DD-WRT again.

30/30/30 reset > power cycle router > access Emergency Room > factory file flash > 30/30/30 reset

30/30/30 reset > power cycle router > access DD-WRT's admin pages > Administration > Firmware Upgrade > revb file flash > 30/30/30 reset
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-07-2010, 12:36   #122
KILLERDOG
Inactive

KILLERDOG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mjpartyboy. With my own router though i have just flashed the dd-wrt firmware on it first , i didnt flash it using the FACTORY version at all, and its working a treat. Why do peole have to flash the factory one first, seeing as i did not do this, many thx for your help. ..
KILLERDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 13:00   #123
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I have just tried DD-wrt on my DIR-615... everything running great so far - I am impressed with the features it adds!

Is it really required to use the second file as it does work without it and just the 'factory' file you originally use to get rid of the junky VM firmware?

I haven't added the second file yet, just wondering why it is needed.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 13:30   #124
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Once you've installed DD-WRT for the first time, you just need to use the revb-ddwrt version of new builds to upgrade from within DD-WRT's admin pages, and not the factory version. I don't know what's different, but these are the instructions from the creators. It seems you use the factory file when upgrading to DD-WRT from D-Link's own firmware or when installing it for the first time via the Emergency Room.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-600
Old 20-07-2010, 13:45   #125
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post
Once you've installed DD-WRT for the first time, you just need to use the revb-ddwrt version of new builds to upgrade from within DD-WRT's admin pages, and not the factory version. I don't know what's different, but these are the instructions from the creators. It seems you use the factory file when upgrading to DD-WRT from D-Link's own firmware or when installing it for the first time via the Emergency Room.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-600
Thank you, I will get to that when our network is quiet again tonight... don't want to disrupt my mums facebook...
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 15:25   #126
KILLERDOG
Inactive

I went from the virgin firmware straight to the ddwrt revb firmware , flashed it using the admin/upgrade page and not having any problems. I take it im safe or do i need to flash using the factory and then put the ddwrt revb one on again ?
Old 20-07-2010, 16:24   #127
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post
The lights have been correct on my D2 since build 14594 and possibly the one before, so no need to run any commands. I'm pretty sure they still weren't quite right on the recommended build 14311, but it has been a while since I used this build now and the router's out of sight anyway.
I wasn't aware there was a later build, I simply followed the router database and downloaded build 14311, you're right. Where can I find the later builds? The main downloads section simply throws me back to the router database so I'm going around in circles.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20-07-2010, 17:07   #128
KILLERDOG
Inactive

Hi, i got mine from here : http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads .Hope this help
Old 21-07-2010, 09:27   #129
mjpartyboy
Inactive

I upgraded to build 14815 last night, with a 30/30/30 reset, and so far it appears to be the best build I've used on the D-Link DIR-615 D2. Things feel more responsive than ever. I didn't use my laptop in the same room or the room above to see if I still had the click more than once issue on some links though, so will check this tonight.

Quote:
To be more specific:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/o...-V24-preSP2%2F

There is also an FTP site:

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Old 26-07-2010, 00:27   #130
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Now I've been running build 14815 for a little while I've noticed that I still have issues with certain links requiring more than one click to open when in the same room as the router or in the room above. Anywhere else in the property and the 14815 is really slick. D-Link firmware doesn't have this problem.
Old 26-07-2010, 02:20   #131
KILLERDOG
Inactive

Ive not had one problem. Wireless works well and all my web pages open straight away.
Old 27-07-2010, 20:51   #132
rastaboy
Inactive

rastaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acathla View Post
Remember to run through configuration on how to connect to the Internet and setup your Wireless Connection again.
The installation of dd-wrt worked fine for me. However, I can't get internet access. Do I have to do any special configuration in dd-wrt, especially with regards to Virgin Media? I have fiddled around with the Network settings but without luck. The default is:

Local IP Address:192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway:0.0.0.0
Local DNS:0.0.0.0

I also experimented with activating the MAC address clone, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

If anyone could help me troubleshoot this for use with Virgin Media it would be much appreciated!

RM
rastaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 22:49   #133
KILLERDOG
Inactive

try to clone your mac address in your router settings, see if that helps. Also set up IP setting to AUTO in windows networking. Dont forget to reboot your pc,router and cable modem too
Old 28-07-2010, 00:05   #134
rastaboy
Inactive

rastaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
try to clone your mac address in your router settings, see if that helps. Also set up IP setting to AUTO in windows networking. Dont forget to reboot your pc,router and cable modem too
Thanks for the reply. I did try all that, but no joy. It's frustrating - everything seems to be working but there's no internet. I'm just trying to get it to work via LAN at the moment.

I have attached a screenshot of my settings - does anyone have any idea how I can troubleshoot this? Note that although I did try to clone the MAC address, the one shown on the status page is different.

Many thanks!

RM

Attached Images
File Type: gif dd-wrt-screenie.gif (104.3 KB, 109 views)
rastaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 00:33   #135
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

You shouldn't need to clone your MAC.

Disable MAC clone and reboot cable modem (power out for 30 secs, blah, blah).
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote