Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network Printer help.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Network Printer help.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:29   #1
Paulie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Phone, mobile and BB V6 and Tivo Asus RT-AC68U
Paulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to all
Network Printer help.

Hi guys
Can anyone help me on this problem i have?
I`m trying to get my printer networked so my daughter can print out her stuff.

I`m running xp (sp2) and she has win98se.

We have a wireless network for internet, and the printer is usb wired to my pc.

I`ve set up shared printing but for some reason i cannot get her pc to print out.

All the drivers and software have been installed on her pc, so i am obviously missing something.

Anyone got any ideas on the matter?
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2005, 12:45   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: Network Printer help.

Are you sure her PC knows where the printer is and isn't just assuming it's on LPT1?

Start / Settings / Printers / Right Click on Printer / Properties / Details / Print to the following port...
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 14:56   #3
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

If you're running XP you can load the printers and fax page and then click "add printer" then select "Network" and "Brows for printer". It should show you all the computers on the network and their attached printers.

HTH

Edit - thats if you haven't already "installed" the printer on her Computer, if you have and its still not printing then what Altis said
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 17:30   #4
Paulie
Inactive

Paulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
Are you sure her PC knows where the printer is and isn't just assuming it's on LPT1?

Start / Settings / Printers / Right Click on Printer / Properties / Details / Print to the following port...
I think that`s the trouble. But being that it`s on usb, i`m lost as to where to point her pc so to speak.
Old 05-01-2005, 17:34   #5
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Mine shows as this, don't know if that helps at all.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 17:47   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

When I networked the printer at home it was through the add printer dialogue, I told it that it was a network printer and the wizard found it automatically. One thing though, make sure you have already set the printer as shared on the pc it is connected to otherwise it won't be seen.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 18:11   #7
Stu038
RIP

Stu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful oneStu038 is the helpful one

You say you've set up "shared printing" how did you do it?
I found that despite setting up file and print shareing manually for XP pro and W2K machines without any problems, the only way I could get a 98fe machine to see a shared printer hanging off a XP machine was to run the XP home networking wizard on it.
Stu038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 18:21   #8
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Go again to Start / Settings / Printers / Right Click on Printer / Properties / Details

If the 'Print to the following port' box doesn't show something like '\\ComputerName\Printername' then click on the 'Add Port' button. Make sure the 'Network' option is selected and then click 'Browse'. You should be able to see the other computer and, if you click on the plus, the printer that is connected to it. Highlight this and then click 'OK' and 'OK' again. The 'Print to the following port' box should now show something like '\\ComputerName\PrinterName'. Click 'OK' to save it and it should be done.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:40   #9
Paulie
Inactive

Thanks guys i`ll give it a go.
Sorry i couldn`t reply yesterday, i had all sorts of problems logging on here.
Old 06-01-2005, 13:47   #10
Paulie
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
When I networked the printer at home it was through the add printer dialogue, I told it that it was a network printer and the wizard found it automatically. One thing though, make sure you have already set the printer as shared on the pc it is connected to otherwise it won't be seen.
Just tried this approach, but all i get come up is "unable to browse the network" any ideas as to why?
Old 06-01-2005, 14:13   #11
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Can you actually see and access the second pc on the network from the windows xp pc and visa versa?
Old 06-01-2005, 14:58   #12
Paulie
Inactive

Quote:
Can you actually see and access the second pc on the network from the windows xp pc and visa versa?
When i click on network connections in the control panel, all i can see is the lan connection. Not hte other pc.
Old 06-01-2005, 15:19   #13
altis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie
When i click on network connections in the control panel, all i can see is the lan connection. Not hte other pc.
That sounds like you are looking from the XP machine. For the purposes of getting your printer going this information is irrelevant.

I suggest you look for the XP machine from the 98 one. The easiest way to do this is to go to the 98 machine and click:
start / find / computer
then enter the name of the XP machine and click 'find now'.

If it can find it then double click on the name and you should see the printer. If you can find the computer but not the printer then you haven't enabled it for sharing on the XP machine. If you can't see the XP computer then you have a networking problem which could be any number of things but we'll take that as it comes!
Old 06-01-2005, 15:19   #14
Paul K
Inactive

Do you see nothing in network places? It sounds as though you aren't networked even though you have run the wizard
Old 06-01-2005, 17:15   #15
Paulie
Inactive

Quote:
Do you see nothing in network places? It sounds as though you aren't networked even though you have run the wizard
yep, seems like i`ve only got internet sharing set up