Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Impeachment enquiry launched into Donald Trump

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Impeachment enquiry launched into Donald Trump

Old 07-12-2019, 11:06   #76
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Impeachment enquiry launched into Donald Trump

Creepy Joe Biden, someone’s done a cartoon, using his own words....

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2019, 14:39   #77
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Aren't these people sworn to secrecy?
Yes, but are allowed to testify in closed Congressional hearings, and then open Congressional hearings if appropriate clearances are granted.

Also, if the White House releases an edited transcript of the call, it is no longer Classified information.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 11:21   #78
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Looks like - dare I say it - we have likely reached a CF consensus on this topic now.
1. Trump has indeed been impeached.
2. He won't be prosecuted but joins a short list of fellow US Presidents to be successfully impeached - Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon and Andrew Johnson.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 11:34   #79
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Looks like - dare I say it - we have likely reached a CF consensus on this topic now.
2. He won't be prosecuted but joins a short list of fellow US Presidents to be successfully impeached - Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon and Andrew Johnson.
Nixon was not impeached. It is debatable if Trump has thanks to Pelosi not sending the Articles to the Senate.

Harvard Law Professor Noah Feldman:-

Quote:
"Impeachment as contemplated by the Constitution does not consist merely of the vote by the House, but of the process of sending the articles to the Senate for trial," Feldman wrote in Bloomberg. "Both parts are necessary to make an impeachment under the Constitution: The House must actually send the articles and send managers to the Senate to prosecute the impeachment. And the Senate must actually hold a trial."
Feldman was one of the legal experts called by Democrats to testify before the House Judiciary Committee earlier this month and has advocated for Mr. Trump's impeachment and removal from office.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 13:41   #80
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/20/u...n-impeach.html
Quote:
Impeachment happens, according to Noah Feldman, a Harvard law professor, only when the House transmits the articles of impeachment to the Senate.

So “technically speaking,” he said, “the president still hasn’t been impeached.”

That idea has left much of the legal academy unconvinced, including Laurence H. Tribe, one of Professor Feldman’s colleagues at Harvard. “The argument is textually bizarre, historically inaccurate, structurally misguided and functionally misleading,” Professor Tribe said.

Professor Feldman was one of three constitutional scholars to testify in favor of impeachment before the House Judiciary Committee this month. Jonathan Turley, a law professor at George Washington University and the sole scholar invited by Republicans to testify against impeachment at that hearing, also disagreed with Professor Feldman.

Mr. Trump was impeached on Wednesday, Professor Turley said. “Article I, Section 2 says that the House ‘shall have the sole power of impeachment.’ It says nothing about a requirement of referral to complete that act.”...

...“If you think of the other meanings of the word ‘impeach’ — impeaching the credibility of a witness, for instance — it happens when you are looking at a person and saying ‘you have done wrong,’” Professor Feldman said. “You’re impeaching their character, you’re impeaching their credibility. That’s an act that you do in the forum where the decision will be made.”

But impeachment is functionally similar to a criminal indictment, and few people would say a grand jury had not indicted someone after voting to do so even if no trial followed. But Professor Feldman said that was a poor analogy.

The Constitution itself is terse. As Professor Turley noted, it gives the House “the sole power of impeachment,” which suggests that the House may also decide when it has impeached the president. The Senate, by contrast, is granted “the sole power to try all impeachments.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 14:28   #81
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

That's why I said its debatable. You have 2 differing Law professors view.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 14:51   #82
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
As already has been said, Nixon was not Impeached, he resigned on the pressure of possible Impeachment, after a Impeachment Inquiry was launched and after losing all his political allies and support he stepped down and his vice president, Gerald Ford was sworn in as the 38th President of the United States, Ford then controversially pardoned Nixon, preventing any potential indictments being levied against him after leaving office.
Old 23-12-2019, 20:23   #83
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

If I was a yank I would be rightly annoyed by the amount of political time, effort and money this has and will take, for no benefit whatsoever.

Congress impeach him, the Senate acquit him.

My money is still on him winning the next election, and what will the Democrats do then? Just hold hands and cry for another 4 years.

I don’t see a democrat challenger capable of beating him.

Trump is one of those rare things, someone that followed up on his election promises and the big issue the Democrats have is that ( and I only have anecdotal evidence for this from stories and video clips I’ve seen but I will research it a bit more). Is that Black Americans are benefiting from his tenure. If th democrats lose a % of the Black vote they will struggle. It really does imitate over here with the collapse of the Labour working class vote.

Interesting times
Old 23-12-2019, 21:37   #84
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
If I was a yank I would be rightly annoyed by the amount of political time, effort and money this has and will take, for no benefit whatsoever.

Congress impeach him, the Senate acquit him.

My money is still on him winning the next election, and what will the Democrats do then? Just hold hands and cry for another 4 years.

I don’t see a democrat challenger capable of beating him.

Trump is one of those rare things, someone that followed up on his election promises and the big issue the Democrats have is that ( and I only have anecdotal evidence for this from stories and video clips I’ve seen but I will research it a bit more). Is that Black Americans are benefiting from his tenure. If th democrats lose a % of the Black vote they will struggle. It really does imitate over here with the collapse of the Labour working class vote.

Interesting times
Have you been drinking tonight old chap? Where's the wall? Where's the healthcare reform ? Deliver, my backside.
He's not physically or mentally fit enough to serve another year, let alone 4. I expect him not to run to 2020 on 'health grounds' or the fact he won't win.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 21:52   #85
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Mr K is right to highlight Trump's litany of non-delivery.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 23:05   #86
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Mr K is right to highlight Trump's litany of non-delivery.
What about you and Mr K's non-delivery of my topic request?

Keep this to the impeachment discussion, I don't want to read yours and Mr K's incorrect assertions.