Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Password managers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Password managers
Closed Thread

Old 16-01-2021, 09:18   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Password managers

I am having problems remembeing my pass words, i was wonering if a passworld manager woul help.

Any suggestions
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2021, 10:35   #2
Bort
cf.member

Bort is on a distinguished roadBort is on a distinguished road
Re: Password managers

I've been using https://1password.com/ for many years and quite happy with it. The main feature I find useful is it works on all my devices with a native app on each platform and it synchronises my passwords for me in a secure and encrypted way (the 1password developers never have access to your passwords due to the local encryption it uses before synchronising things).

So whether I'm using it on my PC, Mac or iPhone it's always ready with all my passwords already synchronised.

There are many alternatives, some free and some paid but I've only used 1Password myself.
Old 16-01-2021, 11:45   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I use Firefox and its built-in password and login manager. That way I can have strong passwords without needing to try and remember them.
Old 16-01-2021, 12:21   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Install the Lastpass password manager on your browser it's awesome and so much better than built in password manager, mines setup with 2FA authentication.
Old 16-01-2021, 12:39   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

These systems are all very well unless someone hacks it or it gets compromised. All very well putting your eggs in one basket unless someone steals the basket.
Old 16-01-2021, 15:06   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
These systems are all very well unless someone hacks it or it gets compromised. All very well putting your eggs in one basket unless someone steals the basket.
That are my main concern
Old 16-01-2021, 15:22   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Make sure your virus protection is up to date and I also use a script blocker to prevent malicious scripts on web pages compromising the system. This also prevents data gathering, pop-up ads, capcha and subverting your mouse clicks.

You can white list those scripts that are needed for sites to operate properly, mainly googleapis.com
Old 16-01-2021, 19:26   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

To be honest write them down and put them in a drawer, there is 99.9999999999999999% chance that anyone would break in just look for a book just for passwords, when there are other more valuables lying about.
Old 17-01-2021, 00:40   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I use lastpass (it just makes things easier).

Dont get paranoid about it because of the doom merchants.
You may as well stop using the internet if you worry so much.
Just make sure you have a very strong password on your lastpass account.

I used to store them in a password protected excel spreadsheet, and still keep that up to date as a backup.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 17-01-2021, 10:20   #10
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Kaspersky Password Manager here. Been using it for about 15 years.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 19-01-2021, 14:21   #11
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

It's all well and good getting your browser to remember passwords, but what if you need a password on a different device or computer?

I had been using Lastpass for a number of years, but swapped over to using Bitwarden a few months ago.

I found Lastpass was getting more & more buggy over the past year or so with updates on Android, it was getting harder to get it to actually kick in & fill in passwords, usually ended up having to open the app & copy & paste it manually.

Not had any problems with Bitwarden, works great on my phone & Brave (Chrome) extension, and can also login to the Bitwarden website should need to.
Old 19-01-2021, 16:48   #12
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
To be honest write them down and put them in a drawer, there is 99.9999999999999999% chance that anyone would break in just look for a book just for passwords, when there are other more valuables lying about.
I will try that
Old 19-01-2021, 17:52   #13
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

We use lastpass for our passwords and have done for about 4 years now without bother.
Old 19-01-2021, 22:51   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I will try that
I wouldn't advise writing them down on paper that is the worst option, password manager is the way to go with 2FA authentication.

Although I keep my banking on paper but the passwords are coded with things I can't forget and would be useless to anyone other than me trying to use them.
Old 20-01-2021, 03:54   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

If you have a good password to start with, 2FA is just a waste of your time.

Baby, I was born this way.
Closed Thread