Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hub 4

Old 07-10-2019, 17:44   #1
TROTER
cf.member

Services: TV/XL ,200Mb Broadband Super Hub 3 Modem mode and Linksys EA4500, Landline and thre
TROTER is an unknown quantity at this point
Hub 4

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ox-router.html

So how long do you think before people on DOCSIS 3.0 can get there hands on one of these?

It is backward compatible and a long time coming. Not good to see they have stuck with Intel Puma chipset, but lets hope this new chip has enough grunt.

Although after all my problems with the hub 3 I was promised a free upgrade when the next hub was released am not holding my breath. Maybe they will live up to there promise as I was assured notes had been added to my account to verify this.

I think I would still pay to upgrade to something that lives up to the job though?

Hub 3 RIP!
TROTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2019, 17:48   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Hub 4

People will get them when it is necessary, i.e. when VM change to 3.1. They will be backward compatable.

I should imagine new customers will get them first nearer the time of 3.1. release.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 17:53   #3
TROTER
cf.member

Services: TV/XL ,200Mb Broadband Super Hub 3 Modem mode and Linksys EA4500, Landline and thre

Well if someone can post as soon as there are available to customers on DOCSIS 3.0 would be nice as I will be first on the phone thanks.
Old 07-10-2019, 18:16   #4
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROTER View Post
Well if someone can post as soon as there are available to customers on DOCSIS 3.0 would be nice as I will be first on the phone thanks.
The hub 4 is for those who sign up for the 1Gbps service which will be only in DOCSIS 3.1 areas.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 23:28   #5
TROTER
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
The hub 4 is for those who sign up for the 1Gbps service which will be only in DOCSIS 3.1 areas.
I did read the article where by it states the hub 4 is for the Gigabyte service currently in Southampton only, but it also goes on to say it will eventually become available to those on DOSSIS 3.0.

I am sure it will eventually as every other new piece of equipment become available to us all, and only asked what peoples thoughts might be on how long this timeline maybe from past experience. And maybe hear peoples joy at eventually getting rid of this underpowered piece of **** we have at this moment.

After all "puma gate" left a bad taste, I don't need someone to state the obvious and quote a article I have just read and understood.

I can understand the company's position not wishing for unwanted calls requesting equipment that is unavailable at this moment, and that's how your reply sounds.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:41   #6
gunner45
cf.member

You have not read and understood the article because you are jumping to a conclusion that VM is going to replace existing hubs with the new hub. I'm the first person to admit that the hub 3.0 is inadequate for my usage, which is why it's in modem mode, but for the aversge user it's OK and will remain so for quite a while as most people will not be ordering the 1Gbps service. Just look at the original SH1, it's still supported even though it came out in January 2011 if you want to have an idea how long VM hubs last for.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:51   #7
TROTER
cf.member

I have always used modem mode but because of the chipset issue which effects both configurations of the hub I feel a upgrade is long overdue.

Its not like you get the equipment for free when your first to adopt new hardware, I have payed for every Hub and TV box upgrade upon release over a period of nearly twenty years.

I have also said in the past that if it were a option I would have purchased my own high end gateway or modem.

Its a business and I understand that, if the customer is willing to pay whatever they are asking then I cant see why that would be a problem.

I did not conclude that we were all about to get a phone call offering us all a free upgrade rendering millions of gateways to the landfill.
Old 08-10-2019, 13:12   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
You have not read and understood the article because you are jumping to a conclusion that VM is going to replace existing hubs with the new hub. I'm the first person to admit that the hub 3.0 is inadequate for my usage, which is why it's in modem mode, but for the aversge user it's OK and will remain so for quite a while as most people will not be ordering the 1Gbps service. Just look at the original SH1, it's still supported even though it came out in January 2011 if you want to have an idea how long VM hubs last for.
Yes i agree the hub 3 is fine now for the average user, the wifi covers my house just fine and i always get max speed and as for the puma issue that doesn't cause me any problems and i am a gamer too.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Quote:
I have always used modem mode but because of the chipset issue which effects both configurations of the hub I feel a upgrade is long overdue.

Its not like you get the equipment for free when your first to adopt new hardware, I have payed for every Hub and TV box upgrade upon release over a period of nearly twenty years.

I have also said in the past that if it were a option I would have purchased my own high end gateway or modem.

Its a business and I understand that, if the customer is willing to pay whatever they are asking then I cant see why that would be a problem.

I did not conclude that we were all about to get a phone call offering us all a free upgrade rendering millions of gateways to the landfill.
You must be doing something wrong if you have had to pay, i got around paying by being on the trials for new hubs and getting a free swap on an engineer visit.
Old 08-10-2019, 19:26   #9
gunner45
cf.member

Quote:
There was an eventual fix for the well-known latency caused by the Puma 6 chipset when a firmware upgrade was made that apparently took some of the load off the CPU. Since then I've noticed a big reduction in the number of latency complaints relating to the hub 3.0. Nobody is saying that it's a good hub but it's adequate for the mass market and will be around for ages since it supports 500/35 (which is about as high as most people want).
Old 08-10-2019, 20:06   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The hub 4 is really the Hub 2ac re-badged
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 21:05   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

As far as VM is concerned the shub3 has got plenty of life in it so there is no immediate need to see it replaced. I imagine it will be at least year before it starts rolling down the tiers. They will rollout out 1gbit by region and watching the shub4 and network and monitoring for any issues. Once they are happy everything has settled they will start to swap the shubs over on tech visits for all customers.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 16:32   #12
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
After all "puma gate" left a bad taste, I don't need someone to state the obvious and quote a article I have just read and understood.
If "puma gate" left a bad taste, why are you so keen to move to a brand new piece of equipment that is less tested/less stable than the current equipment?

Every single hub released so far has had issues that took weeks or even months to fix. The Hub 3 isn't fantastic by any stretch but it's stable and does the job (in modem mode). Switching to the hub 4 is, at best, only going to give you the same performance you have now but more than likely it's still going to have some teething issues that need fixing - especially as it's mainly being used in 3.1 trials, not 3.0 (meaning it's even less tested for your use case).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 18:59   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
it's still going to have some teething issues that need fixing - especially as it's mainly being used in 3.1 trials, not 3.0 (meaning it's even less tested for your use case).
excellent point, and you can guarantee they won't be interested in fixing them at all because as far are concerned they have bought it for 3.1 with a view to everyone moving over to it. There will be enough shub3's around they can refurb and dish if they need to if there are major problems with it running on 3.0.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote