Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 23-05-2019, 00:05   #886
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

I don't think the Sky name will be dropped by Comcast, far from it, but instead and despite Comcast's earlier statements that their streaming service will carry the NBC Universal branding, I think they will use the Sky brand.

Sky as we know it today will morph from a satellite tv service into a IPTV service probably using Comcast's xfinity branding and Sky will be the brand solely used for the global streamer in the end, or something like that.

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy conveniently forgets that in his proposed future everyone will have difficulty obtaining content because it’s going to be vertically integrated end to end. I don’t see why Comcast/Sky/NBC Universal are going to find that more challenging that Netflix or Amazon (or anyone to be honest).
I don't see in a future world dominated by streaming services, that people will find it difficult to find content, quite the opposite.

At the moment it's completely hit and miss about where to find stuff, but if the media companies keep their own content solely on their own streaming services and that is a if, then it will be easy. If you want Star Wars, Simpsons and Mickey Mouse, I think everyone will quickly learn that they need to head to Disney for that.

Take another example: NCIS. Currently that show and its offspring are littered about the tv schedules and are on several channels all at once each evening. Wouldn't it be easier if it were all on just one service, the CBS/Viacom (or whatever it will be called) streamer?

If we end up in 10-20 years with half a dozen main streamers as the primary method to watch tv, then six places rather than the current mass of hundreds of channels, seems a lot easier to navigate, if it goes that way.
Old 23-05-2019, 14:03   #887
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Overnight Eurosport Hidden has appeared on Tsid 9/C032 on DigitialBitRate, so it looks like Eurosport are doing 4K stream again this year. It's the qualification rounds this week so it will surely launch once those are over.

I just looked at the screen grab and it's a slate confirming Eurosport 4K coverage of the tournament.
Thanks. That's great news
Richc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 17:37   #888
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Sky Sports has confirmed that Sky Sports Mix HD will be rebranded as Sky (Sports) Netball HD for the Netball World Cup from July 12th to July 22nd.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 17:52   #889
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

I thought they were holding channel 205 for Prime Video so that it sits next to Netflix on channel 204, surprised to see a duplicate of Virgin TV Ultra HD added there.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 17:55   #890
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Sky Sports has confirmed that Sky Sports Mix HD will be rebranded as Sky (Sports) Netball HD for the Netball World Cup from July 12th to July 22nd.
I hope that's not your DNP notice, MB!!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 18:00   #891
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I hope that's not your DNP notice, MB!!
It not our DNP order.
Old 23-05-2019, 18:01   #892
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
I thought they were holding channel 205 for Prime Video so that it sits next to Netflix on channel 204, surprised to see a duplicate of Virgin TV Ultra HD added there.
I think Media Boy suggested it could be VM's way of marking the end of the Entertainment section of the EPG after they complete their reorganisation. Seems a reasonable idea. 999 clearly hasn't proved visible enough despite being one push up, and maybe they though it would annoy the other broadcasters if they took a lower number.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 18:09   #893
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Overnight Eurosport Hidden has appeared on Tsid 9/C032 on DigitialBitRate, so it looks like Eurosport are doing 4K stream again this year. It's the qualification rounds this week so it will surely launch once those are over.

I just looked at the screen grab and it's a slate confirming Eurosport 4K coverage of the tournament.
Eurosport UHD may just appear as an Red Button Channel via Channel 521.

It did last year.

Not all matches was shown in UHD last year.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Quote:
I think Media Boy suggested it could be VM's way of marking the end of the Entertainment section of the EPG after they complete their reorganisation. Seems a reasonable idea. 999 clearly hasn't proved visible enough despite being one push up, and maybe they though it would annoy the other broadcasters if they took a lower number.
I did post the following on Tuesday night:
Quote:
We feel with Virgin Media Ultra HD being added to Channel 205 under a Entertainment section.

Virgin Media may start to broadcast Ultra HD other things like Movies and Live Sports on Channel 999.
Old 23-05-2019, 18:20   #894
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

The most Eurosport shows on its broadcast channels is obviously limited by only having two channels, whereas their Player service will cover them all. Sadly it's only available via their subscription app and Amazon (AFAIK). I didn't know it was via Red Button last year.

That was a complete reinterpretation of what you said on my part. Ooops, sorry. Maybe I got that from the vague remembrance of replies to what you put. I think one of them mentioned Lifestyle section, and my brain filled in forgotten blanks.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 18:34   #895
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus;359959m84
The most Eurosport shows on its broadcast channels is obviously limited by only having two channels, whereas their Player service will cover them all. Sadly it's only available via their subscription app and Amazon (AFAIK). I didn't know it was via Red Button last year.

That was a complete reinterpretation of what you said on my part. Ooops, sorry. Maybe I got that from the vague remembrance of replies to what you put. I think one of them mentioned Lifestyle section, and my brain filled in forgotten blanks.
We have make up an Channel list on what Virgin Media UK may look like when all SD Channels (If the broadcaster has an HD Channel) are axe.

If you want an upto date copy (May 22nd) ask us via PM.

The posted one - posted on Cable Forum weeks ago is out of date.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Here is the story We run last year on Media Boy Blog about Eurosport UHD.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...ng-roland.html

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 23-05-2019 at 18:38.
Old 25-05-2019, 16:47   #896
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

The Virgin Media V6 set top box will become the first UK TV STB platform to present an event in 4k HDR, when Eurosport’s coverage of Roland-Garros begins this Sunday (May 26).

Virgin Media will utilise HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) to broadcast all matches that feature on the renovated Phillipe Chatrier court, in 4k UHD with HDR on its V6 set top box.

http://www.insideci.co.uk/news/virgi...hdr-first.aspx

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...verage-in-hdr/
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 21:12   #897
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Eurosport 4K (HDR) is now accessible via the red button on Eurosport channels and Virgin UHD (999 & 205)
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:24   #898
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Not really a tennis fan but just put the tennis on from Eurosport to find they've also made the UHD available on Sky although no HDR owing to the fact the Sky Q box still hasn't received the update for this.

I wonder if Eurosport will start to show more of its Sport in UHD going forward.

Last edited by muppetman11; 27-05-2019 at 11:31.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 12:48   #899
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Both VM and Sky had it in 4K last year - just no HDR then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Not really a tennis fan but just put the tennis on from Eurosport to find they've also made the UHD available on Sky although no HDR owing to the fact the Sky Q box still hasn't received the update for this.

I wonder if Eurosport will start to show more of its Sport in UHD going forward.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 12:51   #900
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Both VM and Sky had it in 4K last year - just no HDR then.
Virgin Media's V6 box is already HDR ready.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote