Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 21-05-2019, 21:17   #856
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Rumours: Is Virgin Media UK set to sign new deal with Sky?

Rumours are coming in at Media Boy HQ that Sky Atlantic may grace our screens this summer.

As part of the new deal, we may also get Sky's UHD programming as part of any deal.

©copyright 2019 Media Boy 2006 - 2019. An ''Keep it real and free'' Production.

Media Boy HQ has put this post down as "Rumour" until we see reports of any new Sky branded channel testing on Virgin Media UK.
It'll be interesting to see how Comcast and VM get on.

For those who like trivia, Comcast incorporates what was John Malone's cable co, TCI, which he originally sold to AT&T before Comcast took it on. Comcast and Malone have a good working relationship up to now, so lets see if that continues!

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Quote:
Media Boy VIEWS:

But we feel Virgin Media UK may drop all Sky SD channels (if they also have an HD Channel).

We also feel UKTV and Discovery channels will be moving to new channels numbers this summer.

We also think Disney will axe FOX brand in UK and rebrand FOX as ABC.
As I'm sure you're aware, the breakup of UKTV is imminent now (weeks, rather than months) so Discovery gets control of Home, Really and Good Food while the Beeb gets the rest, so I agree that changes with those channels seem likely.

I agree about your view on FOX and to add one of my own, I think we'll get all the major US networks soon. They'll already here, just under different names at the moment:

Sky One -> NBC
Ch5 -> CBS
FOX -> ABC

Last edited by Horizon; 21-05-2019 at 21:25.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2019, 21:32   #857
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Skysports on screen logo no longer says HD on the HD versions. Maybe Skysports SD channels are off soon.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 22:32   #858
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Skysports on screen logo no longer says HD on the HD versions. Maybe Skysports SD channels are off soon.
This happened a few weeks back on all Sky HD Channels there is now no reference to HD on the onscreen graphics
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 22:39   #859
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
This happened a few weeks back on all Sky HD Channels there is now no reference to HD on the onscreen graphics
Oh.

I just didn't notice it then. lol Only noticed it just recently.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 22:48   #860
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

So, how do we reckon the EPG will look over the coming months once the changes have all happened?

It looks like all the SD channels will get dropped if there is a HD equivalent with a +1 channel right next to the main HD channel and the 200s section is being reorganised back into a proper lifestyle and factual section again, or is it? VM placing their ultra HD ch on 205 seems to mess things up somewhat.
Old 22-05-2019, 00:24   #861
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
So, how do we reckon the EPG will look over the coming months once the changes have all happened?

It looks like all the SD channels will get dropped if there is a HD equivalent with a +1 channel right next to the main HD channel and the 200s section is being reorganised back into a proper lifestyle and factual section again, or is it? VM placing their ultra HD ch on 205 seems to mess things up somewhat.
We feel with Virgin Media Ultra HD being added to Channel 205 under a Entertainment section.

Virgin Media may start to broadcast Ultra HD other things like Movies and Live Sports on Channel 999.

I have be given tonight an DNP order.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 00:38   #862
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We feel with Virgin Media Ultra HD being added to Channel 205 under a Entertainment section.

Virgin Media may start to broadcast Ultra HD other things like Movies and Live Sports on Channel 999.

I have be given tonight an DNP order.
Can I ask will this be something customers will really benefit from
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 07:50   #863
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

I have been given tonight a DNP order.
Sky Atlantic arriving soon, now that Game of Thrones has finished?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 08:11   #864
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Sky Atlantic arriving soon, now that Game of Thrones has finished?
His lips are sealed Andrew..
Old 22-05-2019, 09:29   #865
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
His lips are sealed Andrew..
More likely his Mum says internet time is up
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 09:34   #866
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
More likely his Mum says internet time is up
Well we all have to listen to our Mum young man.
Old 22-05-2019, 09:39   #867
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richc1977 View Post
Any news about Eurosport having another 4K stream on Virgin Media for the French Open like they did last year?
Overnight Eurosport Hidden has appeared on Tsid 9/C032 on DigitialBitRate, so it looks like Eurosport are doing 4K stream again this year. It's the qualification rounds this week so it will surely launch once those are over.

I just looked at the screen grab and it's a slate confirming Eurosport 4K coverage of the tournament.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 22-05-2019 at 09:51. Reason: Additional info
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 10:48   #868
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
As I'm sure you're aware, the breakup of UKTV is imminent now (weeks, rather than months) so Discovery gets control of Home, Really and Good Food while the Beeb gets the rest, so I agree that changes with those channels seem likely.

I agree about your view on FOX and to add one of my own, I think we'll get all the major US networks soon. They'll already here, just under different names at the moment:

Sky One -> NBC
Ch5 -> CBS
FOX -> ABC
Could be, Horizon, although personally I would be surprised if Comcast ditched the Sky brand. It is very significant here in the UK and I think it would be a misjudgement to lose it. Maybe Sky NBC might work better.

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Can I ask will this be something customers will really benefit from
It's almost certainly the new Sky/VM deal. With Prime coming soon as well, it's looking good at this time.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 10:56   #869
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Could be, Horizon, although personally I would be surprised if Comcast ditched the Sky brand. It is very significant here in the UK and I think it would be a misjudgement to lose it. Maybe Sky NBC might work better.
There is not a chance of Comcast ditching the Sky brand as its one of the most trusted and popular in this country.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

It's almost certainly the new Sky/VM deal. With Prime coming soon as well, it's looking good at this time.
But are you not ditching your pay TV packages? as you are giving us all that impression that one its doomed and two that there are many more streaming packages you are going to subscribe to which are far far cheaper according to the Official Old Boy comparison site.
Old 22-05-2019, 11:31   #870
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
There is not a chance of Comcast ditching the Sky brand as its one of the most trusted and popular in this country.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

But are you not ditching your pay TV packages? as you are giving us all that impression that one its doomed and two that there are many more streaming packages you are going to subscribe to which are far far cheaper according to the Official Old Boy comparison site.
Den, I've said quite a few times now that there will come a time when I expect to ditch those packages. I've considered this quite carefully recently. As you may remember, I currently have VM, Now TV, Netflix and Prime.

My wife is not happy using the different streaming services, going from one HDMI to another and accessing different watchlists. I also find it a bit of a pain, but I do like to have everything together under one watch list.

Another problem with using Now TV, apart from the lower picture quality, is the lack of subtitles, which we find handy with some programmes where the sound quality isn't that good.

The advantage of staying on Virgin's Full House package is that everything comes together. You can bookmark everything from Netflix, Starzplay and on demand, and shortly we will also get that ability for Prime as well. When Sky Atlantic finally arrives, I will ditch Now TV and get all the Sky stuff from Virgin.

I do have an issue with paying for all the junk on the pay tv channels just to watch a few programmes from that source, but if I did ditch that, I would lose other services from VM, such as the UHD channel and all the other UHD stuff that will be coming our way.

I think it is about time that Virgin introduced a new skinny package without penalty in these areas. I would happily pay for Sky One, Sky Witness, Sky Arts, Universal and Fox, but I don't want the other junk apart from factual channels Discovery, National Geographic, Smithsonian and Love Nature. An important consideration is to get all my services on one box with the best picture and sound quality as cheaply as possible.

Ultimately of course, all the Sky and factual stuff will be transferred to OTT services. If VM carried all of them, I would be a happy bunny..
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote