Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:52   #646
sav112
Inactive

Services: "Be" 8mb
sav112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Well Glasgow has been done Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m downloading at 280KBS, but I knew when I came on as the net just burst from page to page with all the pictures. Browsing looks to be so much better, Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ll have to try a download instead of the two tests I ran which are Dans and the one below.

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:48:36 UTC1st 128K took 3594 ms = 36470 Bytes/sec = approx 303 kbits/sec2nd 128K took 3641 ms = 35999 Bytes/sec = approx 300 kbits/sec3rd 128K took 3718 ms = 35253 Bytes/sec = approx 293 kbits/sec4th 128K took 3610 ms = 36308 Bytes/sec = approx 302 kbits/sec Happy days.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2004, 12:52   #647
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
Do you KNOW that Telewest have upgraded all their customer connections? And, how long it took? I shouldn't think for a second that they did it all in one go.
A very valid point, & one that I too have raised & queried before, but I so far have not yet had an answer as to why it is taking ntl soooo much longer.....
Old 02-08-2004, 12:54   #648
j4y3m
Inactive

j4y3m is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMav
Yup They have supposedly been upgrading infrastructure since by said they were upgrading their users. NTL are already months behind BY and now I have another 4 months to wait. so if I wanna call them asswipes I will.
It said November for me too but my upgrade has already been done.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:55   #649
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4y3m

Sometimes it's safer to under promise and over deliver......
Old 02-08-2004, 12:56   #650
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Exactly - Many areas which claim upgrade dates to be October/November, etc have already been upgraded, including mine (November). Who knows, you might be done tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:57   #651
McMav
Inactive

McMav is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
I'll reboot tonight when I get home if it comes through I will apologise for calling them asswipes for listing my upgrade as novemeber and call them asswipes for failing to code their postcode checker properly
Old 02-08-2004, 13:00   #652
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
But have ntl made proactive moves to inform their customers as to the fact that they are upgrading their modem speeds.....?

Or are they relying on sites like this to inform them?

Yes. There are now adverts on ntlworld.com, there will be IVR messages on appropriate telephone lines, and there will be inserts with bills.
Old 02-08-2004, 13:03   #653
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

well if anyone on the winersh section of ntls network gets the speed upgrade let me know
Old 02-08-2004, 13:10   #654
pallys
Inactive

pallys is an unknown quantity at this point

I was upgraded overnight in Leicester 150k to 300k now.
Old 02-08-2004, 13:15   #655
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:11:30 UTC
1st 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 782 ms = 167611 Bytes/sec = approx 1395 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec

woooot
Old 02-08-2004, 13:33   #656
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
ok agreed maybe not in 24 hours but 4 months come on thats taking the mikey. Lets face it they only have to send a config file down the line to your modem.
I am sure one of the NTL techys here will correct me if I am wrong, but it's actually a little more involved than sending a config file to your modem. That is the last step in a long process.

For a start, they need to ensure the network in each area is upgraded to ensure it can take the extra load. This may involve many things including installing new cards in the UBRs and may take a long time. It would be pointless promising everyone the speeds only to find that everyone switches on, and the network slows to the speed of a 56K modem under the strain.

Second, if there are any users in your area connecting to the internet via a 1 Meg connection on a Pace 1000 or 2000 STB, then these need to be upgraded. Depending on how many Pace STBs that need to be replaced, this can also take a long time.

Then, they need to ensure adequate supplies of both STBs and SACMs in each areas, as upgrading always seems to cause some to fail.

Finally, they introduce the upgrades area by area (well, several areas each night). This is because, as is discussed earlier in the thread, if something happens during the upgrade and there is a problem, it's better that that problem only affects people in one area rather than across the country.

And, as OB said, would you rather they promised the speed in August and delivered in September, or that they had promised the speed in November and delivered in September? It's better for them to promise the service later then deliver it earlier rather than the other way around.
Old 02-08-2004, 13:43   #657
McMav
Inactive

McMav is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd rather they specified a time and delivered ontime. Rather than this drizzle effect.
Old 02-08-2004, 13:47   #658
jem16
Inactive

jem16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSAGES
well if anyone on the winersh section of ntls network gets the speed upgrade let me know
I read on ntl's newsgroup that Winnersh had been upgraded.
Old 02-08-2004, 13:48   #659
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I'd rather they specified a time and delivered ontime. Rather than this drizzle effect.
So do ntl. But they get too much flack as it is...they can't specify dates and times etc. With so many customers, and lack of a crytsal ball to forsee possible problems which would result in a delay in delivery, it's impossible...
Old 02-08-2004, 13:49   #660
poolking
Inactive

Services: Sky World 300k BB NTL Phone
poolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant futurepoolking has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to poolking Send a message via MSN to poolking Send a message via Yahoo to poolking

Quote:
It is plain to see that you are not even listening to what others are saying and it seems you are totally oblivious to how many users have to be upgraded. So please knock it off.
Closed Thread