Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:32   #616
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

A lot of customers, myself included, are having to reboot their cable modem in order to receive the upgraded speeds. As possibly 99% of customers don't know anything about the speed increases they will have to toddle along at the old speeds until something forces a reboot of the modem. Do NTL intend to inform all customers in some way (with their bill, possibly) of the increase in speed and advising them to reboot?
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2004, 11:33   #617
rustedfaith
Inactive

rustedfaith is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah baby!!! NG16, and all is flying!!! 90 - 95k a second...

NICE.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:34   #618
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

so i assume i have to go home and turn my modem off and on again and all will be well?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:36   #619
badnbusy
Inactive

badnbusy will become famous soon enoughbadnbusy will become famous soon enoughbadnbusy will become famous soon enough

www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php has now been updated to accommodate the new speeds! Try it out

Old 02-08-2004, 11:43   #620
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

well sod it - remote desktoped to home spare pc - entered modem config - hit restart - *hoping ip dont change* - trying to reconnect to ip - still trying -

ok im in - from cm logs.
Unit Update - Not updating. This image is not for this platform.
Unit Update Failed.

i assume that isnt expected?

also from the logs
Retrieved TFTP Config mota4100-gold.cm SUCCESS - is this the new file or same as old one?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:44   #621
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
Do NTL intend to inform all customers in some way (with their bill, possibly) of the increase in speed and advising them to reboot?
[wakes up]

We are rebooting them, in stages. A lot of people are anticipating this by manually rebooting and seeing what happens and that's fine, but we can only do so many a night when there's 1.2m to get through.

I've just checked a colleague's modem and he wasn't updated last night. If he manually rebooted he might get the new speeds, but if he sits tight he'll be done later in the rollout, by the current schedule.

The schedule includes monitoring of numbers on the old speeds and a 'mopping up' operation is on the cards to pick up any strays.

Last night was only night 1 of a series.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:49   #622
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

But have ntl made proactive moves to inform their customers as to the fact that they are upgrading their modem speeds.....?

Or are they relying on sites like this to inform them?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:51   #623
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
[wakes up]

We are rebooting them, in stages. A lot of people are anticipating this by manually rebooting and seeing what happens and that's fine, but we can only do so many a night when there's 1.2m to get through.

I've just checked a colleague's modem and he wasn't updated last night. If he manually rebooted he might get the new speeds, but if he sits tight he'll be done later in the rollout, by the current schedule.

The schedule includes monitoring of numbers on the old speeds and a 'mopping up' operation is on the cards to pick up any strays.

Last night was only night 1 of a series.
Thanks for that BBK. Knowing more about what is going on helps to prevent the impatient ones from running around like headless chickens looking for the bag of compensation corn.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:53   #624
cymap1
Inactive

cymap1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rebooted and I am 1.5 in Stoke. Its nice to be positive about NTL for once
Old 02-08-2004, 11:57   #625
ian@huth
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
But have ntl made proactive moves to inform their customers as to the fact that they are upgrading their modem speeds.....?

Or are they relying on sites like this to inform them?
I would imagine most customers do not know (or even care) about the speed increases. It is good to know that NTL are taking steps to mop up the ones that miss the net.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:58   #626
SOSAGES
Inactive

im sure i had a letter telling me prices were going up and they were putting the speeds up at the same time..
Old 02-08-2004, 12:03   #627
j4y3m
Inactive

j4y3m is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I can recall getting one too... maybe not.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:03   #628
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Red face Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Your service is due to be upgraded during the month of November.
Really? Its November already? (Got upgraded this morning)... Cambridge, CB1

And just to annoy everybody,

Quote:
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:43:10 +0000
1st 128K took 11 ms = 11915636 Bytes/sec = approx 99138 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 12 ms = 10922667 Bytes/sec = approx 90877 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 16 ms = 8192000 Bytes/sec = approx 68157 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 12 ms = 10922667 Bytes/sec = approx 90877 kbits/sec

These results appear to be rather fast: maybe this page was in the browser cache.
No, wasn't cached. Thats my real bandwidth. (Not through NTL's 750K service, mind you, but if it were... )

P.S. If NTL can provide 300/750/1500K speeds to 1.2 million subscribers, how come they cant provide more than what appears to be 56k to their email server(s)??
Old 02-08-2004, 12:08   #629
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

hi and to the site qasdfdsaq , show us it without the ' These results appear to be rather fast: maybe this page was in the browser cache. ' line then , not that i dont believe you or anything
Old 02-08-2004, 12:12   #630
bigitup_j
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, TV and 20mb Broadband
bigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enoughbigitup_j will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to bigitup_j Send a message via Yahoo to bigitup_j

i suppose i better wait then...

still 150k (speeds around 180k)

...hhmmmmmm
Closed Thread