Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2020, 08:26   #3121
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I also am sick and tired of the whole thing. The most depressing thing is that some here even now cannot accept basic facts and that is the essence of this whole thing. Even now, when they have nothing to lose, they still denying objective reality. Sort of sums the whole debacle up ..

BTW, the rules had nothing to do with Clegg, the European Union Referendum Act was passed in Dec 2015 after the Tories won the election in May.

Enough now ..
You are the embodiment of sour grapes.

Under our democratic system, the public backed leaving the EU twice.

Our collective job now is to make that work as distinct from listening to your bleating. Ian Blackford indeed.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2020, 09:46   #3122
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
While it’s nice to see a “we won” party every once in a while there’s still an absolute lack of ideas for what the future could/should look like. Can’t really criticise the Government given the resource being thrown at Coronavirus response and the world being in unpredictable, and unprecedented, times.

Which is what makes the extension the most sensible option.

There’s no China trade deal coming soon. An American deal, what it’d look like, depends very much on what happens in November.
You just want the whole thing put off indefinitely, playing the long game, hoping that Brexit will be overturned.

It's not going to happen, so you may as well swallow it.

You fail completely to understand the benefits that will come with Brexit. That's OK, you're a remainer, so I don't expect you to have the imagination to see what can be done with our newly won freedom. Remainers really do seem to be scared of change, but change is what we need and that in the end will be best for our economy.

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
We need to focus on 2020 and in getting the best deal for the UK.
At last! Welcome on board, Andrew!
Old 17-07-2020, 09:51   #3123
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

There’s prolly no better time to properly exit the EU than now. World trade is pretty much shot and this much vaunted Customs Union is more about theory than vast two way traffic.

An extension will cost us money to subsidise the EU and there’s no point in doing that.

CV has put paid to a lot of the Remainers’ arguments for extension. (I suspect this will be treated as the contentious sentence).

Old 17-07-2020, 10:09   #3124
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
There’s prolly no better time to properly exit the EU than now. World trade is pretty much shot and this much vaunted Customs Union is more about theory than vast two way traffic.

An extension will cost us money to subsidise the EU and there’s no point in doing that.

CV has put paid to a lot of the Remainers’ arguments for extension. (I suspect this will be treated as the contentious sentence).

So while trade is in a delicate state due to Coronavirus, adding extra barriers to trade is a good idea?
Old 17-07-2020, 10:11   #3125
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
So while trade is in a delicate state due to Coronavirus, adding extra barriers to trade is a good idea?
What trade? Bugger all is happening and if they want any of our stuff we’ll send it to them.

Old 17-07-2020, 10:13   #3126
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

I'm afraid I find controversy in your first sentence as you cite no evidence to support the controversial assertion that the "Customs Union is more about theory than vast two way traffic."

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
BTW, the rules had nothing to do with Clegg, the European Union Referendum Act was passed in Dec 2015 after the Tories won the election in May.
Interesting, thanks.
Old 17-07-2020, 10:26   #3127
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
What trade? Bugger all is happening and if they want any of our stuff we’ll send it to them.
We still imported £36.2 billion and exported nearly $36.9 billion's worth in May (and about the same in April), which while being around 30% less than the same months last year, still worth a lot more than "bugger all".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UK trade.jpg (122.4 KB, 6 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 17-07-2020, 10:38   #3128
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
We still imported £36.2 billion and exported nearly $36.9 billion's worth in May (and about the same in April), which while being around 30% less than the same months last year, still worth a lot more than "bugger all".
Excellent news, if we are exporting more than we import, then we're winning . . . right?
Old 17-07-2020, 11:25   #3129
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I would be happy with that 'bugger all' in my bank account...

The ONS figures are interesting in that machinery, transport equipment and fuels were the biggest drops as I guess we stopped moving around.

The fragility of supply chains was highlighted during the recent virus outbreak. Remember the egg shortage? That wasn't because chickens suddenly stopped laying eggs, it was because there are three egg box manufacturers in Europe and the one in Denmark closed. This created a Europe wide shortage with eggs sitting in warehouses with no way to ship them.
Old 17-07-2020, 11:32   #3130
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I would be happy with that 'bugger all' in my bank account...

The ONS figures are interesting in that machinery, transport equipment and fuels were the biggest drops as I guess we stopped moving around.

The fragility of supply chains was highlighted during the recent virus outbreak. Remember the egg shortage? That wasn't because chickens suddenly stopped laying eggs, it was because there are three egg box manufacturers in Europe and the one in Denmark closed. This created a Europe wide shortage with eggs sitting in warehouses with no way to ship them.
You've just made the case for the need to find new markets. Thank you, that's a positive, then!
Old 17-07-2020, 12:03   #3131
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Slight objection from me.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You just want the whole thing put off indefinitely, playing the long game, hoping that Brexit will be overturned.

It's not going to happen, so you may as well swallow it.

You fail completely to understand the benefits that will come with Brexit. That's OK, you're a remainer, so I don't expect you to have the imagination to see what can be done with our newly won freedom. Remainers really do seem to be scared of change, but change is what we need and that in the end will be best for our economy.

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

At last! Welcome on board, Andrew!
Absolute bullshit in your first sentence there Old Boy.

I’ve repeated time and again that the extension leaves us better placed to walk away on 31 December 2021 without a deal. That stands to reason, more time allows more planning, more background negotiations with other countries.

For someone willing to sacrifice tens of thousands of lives for the economy it’s telling that you won’t sacrifice your ideology to the extent of a minor 12 month extension.

Tell me what seismic event happens in that 12 months to undo Brexit? The one I’m supposedly waiting on.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:18   #3132
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Slight objection from me.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Absolute bullshit in your first sentence there Old Boy.

I’ve repeated time and again that the extension leaves us better placed to walk away on 31 December 2021 without a deal. That stands to reason, more time allows more planning, more background negotiations with other countries.

For someone willing to sacrifice tens of thousands of lives for the economy it’s telling that you won’t sacrifice your ideology to the extent of a minor 12 month extension.

Tell me what seismic event happens in that 12 months to undo Brexit? The one I’m supposedly waiting on.
Well, I am plased to hear that, jfman, but you know as well as I do that further extensions will just mean further obfuscation and unhelpful verbiage from the EU. It seems, from previous experiences, that the EU likes to take everything down to the wire, with deals made at the 11th hour. That is their method of obtaining maximum concessions from the other side.

We don't need any 'seismic' events to make a success of Brexit. Yes, it would be great if we could come up with a trade deal with the EU, but that is not the be-all and end-all.

Even the CBI had to acknowledge in their look at how business would cope with Brexit:

The UK is the seventh best place in the world to do business. It has a rapidly growing hub for creative industries and technology, with universities that consistently rank among the top in the world. It is the world leader in many financial services, and a setter of global standards in a range of professional and business services. All the UK’s interactions on the international stage should be an opportunity to showcase these strengths.

And don't bring coronavirus into this argument. That is nature, and quite a different situation.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:25   #3133
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, I am plased to hear that, jfman, but you know as well as I do that further extensions will just mean further obfuscation and unhelpful verbiage from the EU. It seems, from previous experiences, that the EU likes to take everything down to the wire, with deals made at the 11th hour. That is their method of obtaining maximum concessions from the other side.

We don't need any 'seismic' events to make a success of Brexit. Yes, it would be great if we could come up with a trade deal with the EU, but that is not the be-all and end-all.

Even the CBI had to acknowledge in their look at how business would cope with Brexit:

The UK is the seventh best place in the world to do business. It has a rapidly growing hub for creative industries and technology, with universities that consistently rank among the top in the world. It is the world leader in many financial services, and a setter of global standards in a range of professional and business services. All the UK’s interactions on the international stage should be an opportunity to showcase these strengths.

And don't bring coronavirus into this argument. That is nature, and quite a different situation.
Don’t bring the single biggest economic shock since the 1929 recession into a discussion on trade. My sides.

The extension isn’t about the EU. It’s about Britain.

Presumably being the 7th best placed in the world to do business is based on current trading arrangements - by that flawed logic what’s the rush to leave them? What systems are in place to ensure we are more likely to go up to sixth than downwards? Hope, optimism and bluster do not make for a strengthening economy. It has to be built on something that isn’t sand.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:28   #3134
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

I think if we genuinely want to optimise our chances of a good deal with the EU, we need to get an extension to December 2021. This is about getting the best deal for the country. It doesn't mean not leaving.
My fear is Boris Johnson can't be bothered to put in the leg work that this would entail and has instead chosen to bury the Brexit disruption and layoffs in the Coronavirus recession and magic money forest.
Old 17-07-2020, 12:38   #3135
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think if we genuinely want to optimise our chances of a good deal with the EU, we need to get an extension to December 2021. This is about getting the best deal for the country. It doesn't mean not leaving.
<SNIP>
As I've said before, the evidence so far is that the EU is only interested on a deal on their terms. Of course they want us to extend the transition period because it not only keeps us locked in (for their trade benefit) but also for the extra dosh they'll charge us for this non-privilege.

You never seem to address this direct point of mine.

Closed Thread