Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 20:31   #3526
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Had a call from my surgery that they had some leftovers and would I like some.

Be here in 20 minutes.

So I nipped up and had a quick jab of Oxford.

Apparently they aren't always using the same supplier for the second dose and have mixed for people ....
Old 08-02-2021, 21:48   #3527
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

People are revealing their ages on this thread. The average age on CF seems to be >60.
I'm a long way off being vaccinated
Old 08-02-2021, 21:55   #3528
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
People are revealing their ages on this thread. The average age on CF seems to be >60.
I'm a long way off being vaccinated
I got my vaccine as I am on the extremely vulnerable list
Old 08-02-2021, 21:57   #3529
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

It’s all a bit previous.

No vaccines have been around long enough for any meaningful real world data.

So just keep going. Stick to the course. Deaths and infections are all heading back down.

We’ll all need further jabs, on an annual basis anyway - don’t listen to the media scare mongers and worry warts.
Old 08-02-2021, 22:18   #3530
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
I got my vaccine as I am on the extremely vulnerable list
Fair enough. Supporting Southampton can be terrible for your health

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It’s all a bit previous.

So just keep going. Stick to the course. Deaths and infections are all heading back down.

We’ll all need further jabs, on an annual basis anyway - don’t listen to the media scare mongers and worry warts.
And deaths will go up next winter. Our PM told it would all be over by Xmas. Today they've hurried out statements about having every confidence in vaccines, a bit like a football chairman giving confidence in the manager, just before he sacks him....
They don't know, its beyond their control; they promise stupid things as people demands dates and they crave the next nice happy headline.

It is more than likely going to be an issue for decades. We'll adapt but life will change permanently. That's not a message they want to give.
Old 08-02-2021, 22:31   #3531
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’s all a bit previous.

Deaths and infections are going down because of lockdown. There’s no discernible difference between the trend for the vaccinated age groups and unvaccinated age groups (yet).

Big couple of weeks coming up though.

My concerns aren’t about the vaccines as such, however if people get carried away putting too much faith in them and open everything up too soon we could find ourselves in a much worse situation later in the year.
Old 08-02-2021, 22:37   #3532
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
And deaths will go up next winter. Our PM told it would all be over by Xmas. Today they've hurried out statements about having every confidence in vaccines, a bit like a football chairman giving confidence in the manager, just before he sacks him....
They don't know, its beyond their control; they promise stupid things as people demands dates and they crave the next nice happy headline.
Take your tinfoil hat off

Quote:
It is more than likely going to be an issue for decades. We'll adapt but life will change permanently. That's not a message they want to give.
Good too see you’re making good use of your degree “ in the bleeding’ obvious”

It’s going to be an issue, for ever. Hopefully one we can mitigate with an annual vaccine and build up natural immunity.

I don’t think life will change to a massive degree.

Again, I will remind everyone that this is a disease that 99.2% of people in the U.K. recover from without vaccines. So if vaccines can protect that 0.8% to any degree, we’re winning.
Old 08-02-2021, 22:45   #3533
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Ah placebo vaccine induced herd immunity. This is a new concoction.
Old 08-02-2021, 23:00   #3534
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Take your tinfoil hat off

Good too see you’re making good use of your degree “ in the bleeding’ obvious”

It’s going to be an issue, for ever. Hopefully one we can mitigate with an annual vaccine and build up natural immunity.

I don’t think life will change to a massive degree.

Again, I will remind everyone that this is a disease that 99.2% of people in the U.K. recover from without vaccines. So if vaccines can protect that 0.8% to any degree, we’re winning.
What about Long COVID?

btw, 0.8% of the U.K. population is 528,000 - that’s a lot of deaths...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 08-02-2021, 23:45   #3535
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
btw, 0.8% of the U.K. population is 528,000 - that’s a lot of deaths...
He didnt say Deaths.

Now we have vaccines, and within a year will have vaccinated everyone - it should be just like the other so called "deadly" virus, get a top up, and carry on.

We dont lockdown, or even worry about the Flu - every year the most vulnerable get jabbed, and carry on (despite the fact it kills thousands) and the rest of us dont even think about it.

We will likely just need to keep an eye out for mutations (again like the flu) and they likely will be far less frequent as less and less people get infected.

Get enough immune and in theory you could eradicate it completely as it wont have anyone left to infect.

* Tin foil hats will of course still be available for the doom & gloom merchants.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:28   #3536
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Deaths and infections are going down because of lockdown.
You don’t know that for certain.

Quote:
There’s no discernible difference between the trend for the vaccinated age groups and unvaccinated age groups (yet).

Big couple of weeks coming up though.

My concerns aren’t about the vaccines as such, however if people get carried away putting too much faith in them and open everything up too soon we could find ourselves in a much worse situation later in the year.
We’ve vaccinated 12M at least 12M have had it that’s at least 24 million that have increased immunity. 1 in 3 as a conservative estimate should now have a level of immunity.

I think opening up by end of March is not an unreasonable prospect.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:47   #3537
jfman
Architect of Ideas

As ever Pierre while I admire your consistent optimism on such matters I don't look forward to your disappointment as your predictions remain unfulfilled.

How long did the schools last in January? One day? Two?

Having a previous variant of Covid does little to protect against the SA variant, neither does it prevent or reduce severe outcomes. So unless we get test, trace, isolate working and lockdown to eliminate it then we are no more than ten weeks from crisis point as we were last January.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:08   #3538
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
As ever Pierre while I admire your consistent optimism on such matters I don't look forward to your disappointment as your predictions remain unfulfilled.

How long did the schools last in January? One day? Two?

Having a previous variant of Covid does little to protect against the SA variant, neither does it prevent or reduce severe outcomes. So unless we get test, trace, isolate working and lockdown to eliminate it then we are no more than ten weeks from crisis point as we were last January.
Will you publish your findings on that, it would make interesting reading.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:14   #3539
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think opening up by end of March is not an unreasonable prospect.
I suspect any opening-up would occur after the Easter school holidays which end for a lot of the country on 16th April. But I think opening-up depends on how well we can control these new variants.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:15   #3540
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Will you publish your findings on that, it would make interesting reading.
I won't publish anything I'm just a bloke reading the internet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt....co/K5zY4ZcSMV

It turned up as a finding in the placebo group for the Novovax vaccine in South Africa.
Closed Thread