Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Old 16-02-2020, 18:12   #76
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

My kids, don’t watch anything on the BBC at all, and they’re the future. The next generation as they grow up will not be able to comprehend to be forced to pay for a service they simply do not use.
Ah, but they aren't just paying to watch the BBC. They are paying to watch any live TV.
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2020, 18:17   #77
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
Which freeview channels are you referring to? If you receive anything via Freeview you need a licence (see https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/do-i...watch-freeview). I can only assume you fall into the the category of "You don’t need a TV Licence if you never watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel, or live on an online TV service, and you never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.This applies to any provider or device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder" as defined on the TV licencing website (https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ99). If so, that's fine but a lot of people won't fall into that bracket.
I do not watch the BBC or use any other BBC output however due to the TV tax i have to pay the BBC because i decide to watch a program on SKY. The BBC tax means that the BBC are being paid for another company's broadcast even thou they had nothing to do with it. How is that fair ?

I do not watch or use the BBC at all now as the BBC has shown they are not independent any more, i realised that the way they covered the last election.

Subscription will sort it out.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 16-02-2020 at 18:23.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 18:26   #78
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I do not watch the BBC or use any other BBC output however due to the TV tax i have to pay the BBC because i decide to watch a program on SKY. The BBC tax means that the BBC are being paid for another company's broadcast even thou they had nothing to do with it. How is that fair ?

I do not watch or use the BBC at all now as the BBC has shown they are not independent any more, i realised that the way they covered the last election.

Subscription will sort it out.
As Ramrod correctly points out you aren't just paying to watch the BBC you are paying to watch any live TV.
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 18:26   #79
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Ah, but they aren't just paying to watch the BBC. They are paying to watch any live TV.
When the TV licence was introduced is was specifically just to watch BBC.

Define “TV”?

My eldest watches, almost exclusively, you tube. He watches it on his iPod, iPad, and Mac. But just because he may also watch it on a television, that attracts a fee whereas the other mediums don’t?

It’s farcical and needs review to make it fit for the future.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t pay for BBC content, but how, why and what you pay for should be reviewed and non-payment should absolutely not result in criminal proceedings. Non-payment should just mean no access to BBC content as with all other providers.
Old 16-02-2020, 18:28   #80
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
As Ramrod correctly points out you aren't just paying to watch the BBC you are paying to watch any live TV.
I ask again WHY is it fair the BBC are paid for something they had no input with. Why should i have to pay the BBC for watching a SKY broadcast ????

Old 16-02-2020, 18:39   #81
gba93
ofc.founder_member

gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I ask again WHY is it fair the BBC are paid for something they had no input with. Why should i have to pay the BBC for watching a SKY broadcast ????
Who ever said life was fair? My taxes go to fund education from which I currently don't benefit - is that fair? True I benefited from it when a child but then you probably watched one or more BBC programs when you were little. To clarify you don't pay the BBC you pay to:

• watch and record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and
  • watch and download BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up and on demand.
This covers all TV broadcasts not just BBC programs.
Old 16-02-2020, 18:46   #82
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Who ever said life was fair? My taxes go to fund education from which I currently don't benefit - is that fair? True I benefited from it when a child but then you probably watched one or more BBC programs when you were little. To clarify you don't pay the BBC you pay to:

• watch and record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and
But the BBC get all the money of the back of every other broadcaster from the TV Tax. I so hope they get made to go subscription and as soon as possible. It will save me money that i can make far better use of.

Old 16-02-2020, 18:56   #83
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

So what. The Government are going to scrap it. Now who should I feel sorry for and why?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 19:27   #84
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Interesting to see what happens ,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 19:56   #85
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Interesting to see what happens ,
What is interesting is that the Govt. have proclaimed the results of their 'consultation' whilst it's still ongoing !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 20:40   #86
gba93
ofc.founder_member

We'll see.
Old 16-02-2020, 21:29   #87
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
That'll put a stop to the wokeness when they have to EARN the right to broadcast.

Can't come soon enough. We've not paid the BBC tax for the last 15 years. We don't watch the BBC either because most of it is complete crap.

Mind you that applies to most broadcast TV across the board but at least you're not forced to pay for the rest of the crap.
You are, you would still need a TV licence.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
No concern at all for people watching or not watching tv, I have concern for people who are homeless or can't affotd to feed themselves but have zero concern for those that can't afford to watch tv or about the same level of concern shown for me who doesn't watch tv but is still forced to pay this outdated tax
If you don't watch TV, why are you forced to pay it?

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
When the TV licence was introduced is was specifically just to watch BBC.

Define “TV”?

My eldest watches, almost exclusively, you tube. He watches it on his iPod, iPad, and Mac. But just because he may also watch it on a television, that attracts a fee whereas the other mediums don’t?

It’s farcical and needs review to make it fit for the future.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t pay for BBC content, but how, why and what you pay for should be reviewed and non-payment should absolutely not result in criminal proceedings. Non-payment should just mean no access to BBC content as with all other providers.
That wouldn't attract a fee. The licence is to cover watching/recording live TV as it is broadcast.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 21:47   #88
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I would shed no tears if the BBC as it stands was to be abolished.

Everything necessary will be picked up by the survivors and the left wing bias of the BBC will be banished.

Even now they are arrogant and unrepentant. Banning Guvmin ministers from a flagship news programme is unforgivable political bias.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 21:47   #89
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The licence was originally for radios, long before TV came along. Even though the BBC was founded as a private company it was given a royal charter and the right to collect licence fees as an effective means of paying for a comprehensive news and entertainment service.

It was extended to TVs and eventually the need for a radio licence was dropped. The portability of radios had a lot to do with that change. The “portability” of TV receivers is now creating pressure for further change.

The justification for continuing the system has changed down the years, especially as commercial alternatives to the BBC have emerged, but where we are at now is with a licence fee that funds the BBC, which uses the money to produce content that (in theory at least) sets the bar for quality of output across the British TV industry, particularly ensuring that content for minority audiences is of a similar high standard to that made for mass audiences. While the BBC isn’t to everyone’s taste, by and large I think it achieves that.

Making changes that significantly reduce the BBC’s income is not without risk. The very large amount of money flowing in to TV production in the UK, relative to the size of the market, supports a lot of jobs, and also ensures the commercial spend from advertisers is concentrated elsewhere. There is a finite amount of money to be spent on advertising and it is far from clear that advertisers would spend more in the event that slots became available on the BBC. It is more likely that their spend would simply be spread more thinly, with a serious detrimental impact on other broadcasters.

I think the system does have to change, not because I think a fee - a tax, in effect - designed to ensure universal availability of a quality tv service is a bad thing, but because in this multi channel age we are now in, concentrating all that money on one broadcaster is increasingly hard to justify.

I suspect in time the fee pot, or some of it at least, will be forcibly opened up to allow other broadcasters to bid for money to fulfil their public service obligations. I expect that at the same time the mechanism will be decoupled from the use of receiving equipment. A precept on council tax is one possibility.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 22:36   #90
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I would shed no tears if the BBC as it stands was to be abolished.

Everything necessary will be picked up by the survivors and the left wing bias of the BBC will be banished.

Even now they are arrogant and unrepentant. Banning Guvmin ministers from a flagship news programme is unforgivable political bias.

The BBC has its faults and didn't earn the alternative title of Brexit Broadcasting Corporation for no reason.
That being said, it's the UK Government that has banned ministers from appearing on Today and not the BBC.
The survivors who "pick up everything necessary" will most likely be US broadcasters and not UK ones, thus reducing the UK's soft influence in the world.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote