Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart meters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Smart meters

Old 13-01-2019, 19:55   #1
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Smart meters

I don't know how many of our members have smart meters fitted, gas and electric, We have one for the lecky and I thought I'd share:

It's electric and I've checked it's values against my own NAMAS traceable monitor and the readings seen to be Kosher, what really pisses me off is the consumer display unit: It constantly resets and displays just about everything except what I want it to ( Current watts). I just got fed up with it and dumped it uncharged and dead in the lecky cupboard.

I know what things take round me, if it makes heat it costs money.

What are members experiences?
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2019, 20:10   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Smart meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I don't know how many of our members have smart meters fitted, gas and electric, We have one for the lecky and I thought I'd share:

It's electric and I've checked it's values against my own NAMAS traceable monitor and the readings seen to be Kosher, what really pisses me off is the consumer display unit: It constantly resets and displays just about everything except what I want it to ( Current watts). I just got fed up with it and dumped it uncharged and dead in the lecky cupboard.

I know what things take round me, if it makes heat it costs money.

What are members experiences?
I had electric and gas ones installed just a few months ago. If it keeps losing the connection, place it nearer the meters. The current usage in watts is likely to be there on the optional displays. It was there for me.

The thing to watch out for in assessing current usage is that items such as fridges, freezers, immersion heaters can suddenly start up. That would give a false current usage in watts.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 20:23   #3
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

i keep turning down the offers to fit them.
Old 13-01-2019, 20:26   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
You won't have that choice in time.
Old 13-01-2019, 20:50   #5
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Until there is no charge for having one and they are all guaranteed to work as a smart meter with any supplier you may switch to, I will not be getting either.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 21:02   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Our neighbours had the leccy one fitted (no gas supply) after being told they were free now, but eventually would be fitted for a fee. And if they didn't have one, they would be charged an annual meter-reading fee. All rubbish of course. At the moment.

Those in the know understand a hidden reason the companies want them fitted for leccy... a thing called Power Factor. In the simplest of terms. electricity companies have to send more power down the wires to compensate for waveform changes caused by non-resistive loads in the users' home or place of work. In the future, smart meters will allow them to charge for that "lost power".
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 21:14   #7
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Until there is no charge for having one and they are all guaranteed to work as a smart meter with any supplier you may switch to, I will not be getting either.
The newer versions are meant to be more compatible.
Quote:
The new second-generation meters will allow uninterrupted switching between suppliers. The first generation meters can temporarily lose some of their functionality following a switch, but this just means you may have to read the meters yourself for a little while. It is not a barrier to switching. But soon all smart meters will be on a single, national communication network that will cover 99% of Britain. So then when you switch, you won't need to have a meter exchange and you won't lose your smart features.
Old 13-01-2019, 21:17   #8
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Do the smart ass meters need electricity to take the readings and send the signal to the supplier or are they using my lecy to run their meters and my wifi.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 21:22   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Me too.
Old 13-01-2019, 21:29   #10
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

We have one. We never look at it. If we need to use an electrical item or turn on the gas, then we have to use it. Makes no odds having a smart meter there.

I think they were brought in in the hope that it would make people more conscious about how much they use, energy-wise. As though people would play a game against themselves to see how little they could use in a day. But I think it hasn't turned out they way the energy firms / government had hoped. I think the number of people who actually try to play that game are so few that the cost of each house running a smart meter probably more than cancels it out!

Last edited by idi banashapan; 13-01-2019 at 21:32.
idi banashapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 21:30   #11
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Same here.
Old 13-01-2019, 21:38   #12
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

We had a scheduled power outage of an hour or so. Next door were away on holiday. When they came home, their fridge and freezer were minging as the smart meter did not turn the power back on after the outage.

I'm not sure if this was a fault, or how these meters work.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 22:02   #13
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Do the smart ass meters need electricity to take the readings and send the signal to the supplier or are they using my lecy to run their meters and my wifi.
Battery operated. I asked at the time because the guy was measuring up lengths of cable. That was to upgrade the existing meter cabling. Water meters also function via a battery and they don't have an electric supply to feed off.
Old 13-01-2019, 22:11   #14
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
mine is mains run.
Old 13-01-2019, 23:03   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We were loaned an energy use monitor by a local energy efficiency charity some years ago (which they never asked to get back). For a little while it was interesting seeing which appliances used what, but after a while it was boring... we only turn things on when we need them anyway, so it made no difference to us. From that perspective I’m in no hurry to get my hands on the remote screen that’s meant to sit in the house. It’s a waste of space, a waste of a socket and a waste of electricity. As for the actual meter itself, well we’ll get one when we have to, but I won’t be surprised if we turn out to be in a signal dead spot, and so still have to submit readings ourselves...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote