Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

Old 27-12-2018, 20:18   #46
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Windows 10 Desktop WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
Well this thread escalated fairly quickly didn't it?

It's a pity nobody asked 'beaker17' what printer he had or if he had direct print (or similar) switched on (probably yes) because in that case it might well create an ad-hoc wifi network and start broadcasting discovery frames which a PC with the proper software installed will find and connect to - over wifi while Windows will quite happily tell you that the wifi is 'Not Connected' because it is looking for an infrastructure-type setup, ie a proper IP address, gateway etc. So it's perfectly possible that his PC is connected 'wirelessly' directly to his printer, completely ignoring the SuperHub and all the while Windows claiming that the wifi is not connected.

Anyhow, back to his original question, can you have wifi and cabled ethernet (although on some levels you can argue that wifi transmissions are a form of ethernet as well) connected at the same time? And the answer is an unequivocal 'YES'. And I know because it drives me nuts with some of my clients who have laptops plugged into docking stations (we'll actually port replicators) and they get two IP addresses (and I hate waste) and it's always a bit vague as to which interface traffic will flow through.

This was actually addressed back in post 13 where it was pointed out that PCs, printers, tablets etc. never, ever have an IP address, it's the network interface which has the address and if you have more than one network interface they can both be connected and both can have their own IP address (and as long as the MAC addresses are different) there won't be any issues at all - no bridging loops etc. It's not ideal from a traffic management point of view, but in a home setup, who cares?

Now it is possible that some PC chipsets 'might' detect two connections to the same subnet and choose one to shutdown but this isn't normal or standard, in fact i'm posting this from an iMac with both wifi and ethernet connected and operational with IP addresses of 172.22.57.150 and 151 (I reserve them in DHCP) and I leave it to sort out which route to take outbound.
Trust me this is beaker17 we're talking about and his little posts always escalate! from something simple to something made complicated, he just needs to learn to accept that the people in this thread all have good intentions but it is only him that is complicating the matter and probably just needs to sit back and relax.

As everyone has told him he doesn't need a wireless connection from his PC to the router if it is also connected via ethernet, the easiest and best option is just to remove the the wireless connection if he intends on using ethernet or remove the ethernet if he wants to go 100% wireless which will likely cause more issues in the future.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 27-12-2018 at 20:22.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2018, 20:36   #47
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

you decided to make an appearance
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 20:39   #48
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
you decided to make an appearance

I ran out of popcorn and hair to pull out!
Old 28-12-2018, 11:47   #49
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-use-Ethe...simultaneously

The technique, which is what I call it, is used for specific static IP address routing and/or load balancing or aggregation (bonding).

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote