Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does anyone have a portable air conditioner here?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Does anyone have a portable air conditioner here?

Old 11-07-2022, 15:39   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Does anyone have a portable air conditioner here?

I am looking at getting one. I am in a top-floor flat so even before a heat wave it's a few degrees hotter than outside.

I could and may well still just buy a tower fan but I am looking at getting a portable air conditioner instead. I wondered if anyone had any feedback on these? I am especially concerned about the exit vent, my windows only open slightly ajar so not sure it would fit correctly. The only other option is a door to the balcony which would work but I can't really seal it effectively. So either I just have the extract pipe going outside with no deal or i place it on a window edge 'sorta' directing out but again unsealed and some of the hot air still coming inside.....
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2022, 15:47   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Does anyone have a portable air conditioner here?

Are you sure your windows do not have a hidden latch on the inside? I thought mine only open a little till i found the latch hahaha

I had one gave it my daughter and the hose went through the window sealed it by putting it though cardboard and used tape. Not elegant but it works
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 16:16   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our top floor flat (11th) had windows that normally only partially opened (for safety). By we could rotate the handle the other way and the whole window opened inwards, or by using the key, we could make the top to open inwards.

There was always a breeze if we opened windows on opposite sides of the flat, but I had to make hard foam stoppers to prevent any open doors slamming shut, making a sound like a bomb going-off.

Lidl is having an air-conditioning unit on sale in a few days. £169.88. Cools, dehumidifies or fans. 785w.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lidl.jpg (219.5 KB, 16 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 16:42   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The window does have a latch but I am worried about keeping it open all the time, I am not really sure why there is a latch tbh. Plus now I have blinds so when it opens inwards it might knock em.
Old 11-07-2022, 16:45   #5
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I am looking at getting one. I am in a top-floor flat so even before a heat wave it's a few degrees hotter than outside.

I could and may well still just buy a tower fan but I am looking at getting a portable air conditioner instead. I wondered if anyone had any feedback on these? I am especially concerned about the exit vent, my windows only open slightly ajar so not sure it would fit correctly. The only other option is a door to the balcony which would work but I can't really seal it effectively. So either I just have the extract pipe going outside with no deal or i place it on a window edge 'sorta' directing out but again unsealed and some of the hot air still coming inside.....
I have one it's vented into a chimney breast, they have a 5or6inch outlet pipe but you can buy reducers to vent through small gaps, mine used 2.8kw per hr and is a bit noisy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-Con.../dp/B07R4NCXKP

The cat loves it stops him getting hot n bothered,i couldn't sleep without it on hot nights.

Last edited by papa smurf; 11-07-2022 at 16:49.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 16:51   #6
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

I have a similar setup to the one you propose. I have the exhaust hose venting out of one of the Velux windows using a "flattened" adapter (like this). You may need a hose plus an adapter depending where the window is. The unit I bought is 5000 BTU which is ok for a small room. Get a 10000BTU unit for a larger room.
Old 11-07-2022, 16:59   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I have a unit in the bedroom that came from B&Q a number of years ago and as papa does have vented it up a disused chimney. IIRC it's rated at 8,000 BTu which equates to about 3Kw* of cooling. Even if the outside temperature is 28C it can get the room down to below 16C. You do need an outside window slightly open to replenish the air going up the chimney.

*Think of how much a 3Kw electric fire would heat up the room.

The Lidl unit is available from Thursday at £169 and also dehumidifies as well. I suspect with the heat coming this weekend they'll sell like hot cakes.
Old 11-07-2022, 17:24   #8
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I have one it's vented into a chimney breast, they have a 5or6inch outlet pipe but you can buy reducers to vent through small gaps, mine used 2.8kw per hr and is a bit noisy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-Con.../dp/B07R4NCXKP

The cat loves it stops him getting hot n bothered,i couldn't sleep without it on hot nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I have a similar setup to the one you propose. I have the exhaust hose venting out of one of the Velux windows using a "flattened" adapter (like this). You may need a hose plus an adapter depending where the window is. The unit I bought is 5000 BTU which is ok for a small room. Get a 10000BTU unit for a larger room.
The flatterned adapter might be a good idea. I'll see tonight how much space i can move the window without taking out the blinds.

Looks a lot of faff so might just get a tower fan
Old 11-07-2022, 19:04   #9
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
The flatterned adapter might be a good idea. I'll see tonight how much space i can move the window without taking out the blinds.

Looks a lot of faff so might just get a tower fan
A fan will just move the hot air around. I tried that ...
Old 11-07-2022, 19:14   #10
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Depends on the fan. A vortex type actually does cool the air. A cheapo standard pedestal fan will just do as you say.

I got a Woozoo desktop type (got mine for £38) which I'm using now and the air is a lot cooler than what I used last year (12" 3 blade pedestal).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TC59P...tag=2371116147

As for tower fans, I had one and gave it away a few days afterwards. Useless things.
Old 11-07-2022, 19:21   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Fans are meant to do one thing: to cool your skin by evaporating sweat or moisture. There's little sense in having one running if it's not doing that.

Air conditioners are basically the guts of a fridge with a fan to blow the cooled air around, and an exterior heat exchanger to remove the heat collected. I've seen small homes in Cyprus with a doorless fridge in a room with the coolant pipes running through the wall to the compressor and radiator panel on the north side of the house.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 22:28   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Aren't air conditioners a little expensive to run now - they must use a fair bit of electric ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 23:50   #13
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Used a 12000 BTU in the bedroom and it was a dream. Died two years two days later, just outside of its warranty which is typical and of course just as it got hot here again.

You really do need to vent the hot exhaust air or they are pointless imo. They do different types of adapters for different styles of windows. Some use velcro to stick on just to cover the gaps so your cold air doesn't escape. There will be an adapter or solution for your type of windows.

Also worth noting that to get the best benefit of them you should close doors so they can chill a room properly or you will never get proper low temperatures.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:01   #14
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Aren't air conditioners a little expensive to run now - they must use a fair bit of electric ?
My parents have several in different rooms for the summer and even when energy was cheaper their electric bills were pretty hefty.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:07   #15
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
The one from Lidl says 785 Watts