Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Shaping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic Shaping

Old 31-03-2006, 18:12   #16
Bill C

Re: Traffic Shaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
Makes sense. My ISP has done the same thing for a long time, but as adoption of BitTorrent clients that support encryption increases, that service at least will no longer we an issue. Newsgroups... different story as the packets are easily identifiable and the protocol probably isn't about to change.
I don't tend to use Bit-torrent that much. Its more Newsgroups. This has now got me looking furiously for an adsl2+ provider in my area.
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2006, 18:13   #17
2||Para
Inactive

Services: 20MB BB,Sky TV
2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice2||Para is just really nice

Would they recognise irc transfers and shape those?
2||Para is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 18:42   #18
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2||Para
Would they recognise irc transfers and shape those?
Possibly by looking at the 6000 region port traffic, such as 6667, 6668 etc.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 18:47   #19
Bill C

Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Well, for those of you that doubt my credentials when it comes to all things ntl, I suggest you take a look at this website: http://www.allot.com/pages/products_...?intGlobalId=2 & then bookmark this thread for future reference.
Looks like you were correct.
Old 31-03-2006, 18:48   #20
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited
So how many believed me when i said they might be something going on with my connection. 6 till 12 was when i had my problems. soon as 12.00 midnight was hit it stopped. ? Now i know they have said 11.00pm but they might have been testing so took it till 12.00
Or it could be Bill that the file sharers were most active in your region around that time leaching the bandwidth, but then I'm no expert.
Old 31-03-2006, 18:51   #21
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto
Quote:
So how many believed me when i said they might be something going on with my connection. 6 till 12 was when i had my problems. soon as 12.00 midnight was hit it stopped. ? Now i know they have said 11.00pm but they might have been testing so took it till 12.00
Or it could be Bill that the file sharers were most active in your region around that time leaching the bandwidth, but then I'm no expert.
Well between that and the traffic shaping i am moving supplier.
Old 31-03-2006, 18:53   #22
Toto
Inactive

From the news article.

Quote:
What is clear though, is that ntl have again failed to properly communicate important changes to the broadband User Policy
Frank, your view here please.

ntl have updated the user policy with something that is going to happen, why do you think ntl have failed here?

Are you referring to the fact that this is in the user policy, and has not been communicated to each customer directly, such as a mail drop?
Old 31-03-2006, 18:54   #23
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
Take a wander down to ntlw head end , take a peek at the equipment there set-up to do this and then come back here , lol

This is happening..
All I am saying, is as it looks like congestion is a great problem from where I am, it isn't overly needed to shape. Obviously the equipment will be prioritised to go where its needed the most and if provisioning of the VOD equipment is anything to go by then I have nothing to worry about.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 18:54   #24
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Well between that and the traffic shaping i am moving supplier.
Which of course is your right.
Old 31-03-2006, 18:57   #25
Hans Gruber
cf.addict

Services: VM XL TV, Phone, 100mbit Internet.
Hans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enoughHans Gruber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
Makes sense. My ISP has done the same thing for a long time, but as adoption of BitTorrent clients that support encryption increases, that service at least will no longer be an issue. Newsgroups... different story as the packets are easily identifiable and the protocol probably isn't about to change.
So they'll be forcing people off the, relatively easy on the network, newgroups and onto, bandwidth sapping, bittorrent? Sounds like a plan
Hans Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 18:59   #26
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Thumbs down Re: Traffic Shaping

Quote:
From the news article.

ntl have updated the user policy with something that is going to happen, why do you think ntl have failed here?

Are you referring to the fact that this is in the user policy, and has not been communicated to each customer directly, such as a mail drop?
Because (just like they did with 'The Cap'), they have changed the AUP & not told anyone.

They have just amended the AUP probably in the hope that no one would notice-if ntl have nothing to hide & are willing to stand tall behind their traffic shaping, then why not just come out & announce what they are doing?

No, instead they just change the AUP & hope no one will notice.

As Frank says, clearly they haven't learnt their lesson from last time.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/...etwork-traffic
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 19:00   #27
Bill C

Quote:
From the news article.

Quote:
What is clear though, is that ntl have again failed to properly communicate important changes to the broadband User Policy

So when did they do this. If it was today then this smells of the cap debacle. Remember that was released on a Friday as well and no info given to the poor customer service people who had to field the calls.

I can see this thread just grow and grow and grow
Old 31-03-2006, 19:02   #28
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Talking Re: Traffic Shaping

Quote:
Neil

Looks like you were correct.
Of course I was right, I normally am when it comes to ntl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Well, for those of you that doubt my credentials when it comes to all things ntl, I suggest you take a look at this website: http://www.allot.com/pages/products_...?intGlobalId=2 & then bookmark this thread for future reference.
pwn3d!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 19:06   #29
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Possibly by looking at the 6000 region port traffic, such as 6667, 6668 etc.
It depends on wether the shaping is port based. IRC XDCC does not use those ports, it uses a random port in a high up range.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 19:12   #30
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Is this just the NTL side of things, or is it happening on the TW?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote